labtecpower

Rank I

Enthusiast I

below sea level
First Name
rick
Last Name
lake
Looks really sturdy! Upgrade from drums to disks looks great as well, saves a ton of weight and on long descents the added cooling capacity is well worth the expenses

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Wow, you sure spend a lot on stickers!:sunglasses:

Hope you get this done soon and bring it to Binder Bash 2023.
Well we all know stickers add horsetorques!
Just want it right. And that means I will need to add to the sticker collection.
At the very least it can be trailered to the bash.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Hoping to spend some time on getting the limited slip installed this weekend. Have never worked on a gear set before, but have watched some youtube videos, so I am almost a pro!
Gotta check and see if the local parts store has a bearing race puller tool. I would hate to buy one, will probably never use it again.

Also hoping I won't need to get into the pinon either. Really dont want to have to mess with the crush sleeve.

Reactions: MrWilsonWJ

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Doing gears sounds more intimidating than it really is, sure there is a lot riding on getting things set correctly but if you follow the procedure and make sure all your specs are right you'll be fine. Dana/Spicer has good literature available on their website, it takes a little looking but you can find complete rebuild instructions that are pretty detailed. What type of puller are you needing? Good chance I have one you can use if you don't want to buy one.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Doing gears sounds more intimidating than it really is, sure there is a lot riding on getting things set correctly but if you follow the procedure and make sure all your specs are right you'll be fine. Dana/Spicer has good literature available on their website, it takes a little looking but you can find complete rebuild instructions that are pretty detailed. What type of puller are you needing? Good chance I have one you can use if you don't want to buy one.
Will possibly need to remove the bearing off of the pinon. Hoping not but...
I will probably be able to get the new bearings on the Dura Grip and get the ring gear transferred over. I ordered a dial indicator to check backlash before I disassemble anything, but it may not arrive on time. Might have to go to china freight to get a disposable one.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So there is literally a garage extension cord that has been worked into the wiring on the ol' International. I will get a pic in the morning.
This discovery motivated me to get a new wiring harness.

I know some will be looking in on this build and be thinking they could never afford a build like this. So I feel like I need to make a statement......I AM NOT RICH! I have however been eating top ramen for a year so that I could save enough money to buy the things necessary to get this rig out in the hills and not break down or burn to the ground....I hope! I have also been working my regular 6am-4pm gig m-thurs, and running my side gig on the weekends (36 + hours). The side gig funds the projects!

So, yes, I am buying stickers! Still less than a truck payment!

Here is the newest sticker.
IMG_2320.jpeg
IMG_2321.jpeg

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So I didn't get much done over the weekend. The dial indicator didn't show up till just an hour ago.
I shifted gears to modifying the leaf spring outriggers I got from barns4wd . The problem was that I needed just 1 more inch (that's what she said). :tearsofjoy:
Ran out of wire for the MIG so I switched over to 7018 stick....It's been a while, but I still got it!
It's always a good sign when the slag does this...
IMG_2330.jpeg
IMG_2331.jpeg
IMG_2335.jpeg

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
That’s some amazing welding buddy. Can’t wait to see it on the road.
Thanks Mike. Progress has been slow due to harvest and my 9-5. I have most of the big ticket parts now. Hoping to get the axles swapped over the turkey holiday. That will free up some space in the garage so I can pull the existing motor and trans. Then I can start looking at fabbing up the new motor X-member and mounts.

Reactions: M Rose

SacDirtDealer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Carmichael, Sacramento County, California, United States
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Hey all!

So I made a 2000 mile round trip a few weeks ago to scoop up this 1965 International Travelall Panel (D1200).
The D1200 is a 3/4 ton 4x4 delivery truck, and seem to be a fairly rare rig. Currently has a V8 304ci gas motor with a 4 speed floor shift manual trans (t-19..I think). The 4 wheel spinny box is a divorced np201 (i think?). Front Dana 44 with closed knuckles and not to sure of the rear axle. It does run and drive, but doesn't stop very well at all.

I will do my best to document the progress of the build here. Here is the vision....

Short term goals...

- Get it fully drivable.
- Clean Fuel tank.
- Replace brake master cylinder.
- Replace Driveshaft U-joints (all 6).
- Replace leaky diff pinion seals.
- Replace leaky Trans output shaft seal.
- figure out wiring mess to make lights work.
This "should" get her on the road, I hope!

Long term Vision...

- Possible 12v Cummins/NV4500 swap.
- 1 Ton axles
- 4-6" lift allowing 37" tires at a minimum.
- DIY Custom built bumpers.
- Build out cargo area to allow for Vehicle dependent travel.

And here she is,

View attachment 216549

View attachment 216550

View attachment 216551

View attachment 216552

View attachment 216553
Cool rig!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks Mike. Progress has been slow due to harvest and my 9-5. I have most of the big ticket parts now. Hoping to get the axles swapped over the turkey holiday. That will free up some space in the garage so I can pull the existing motor and trans. Then I can start looking at fabbing up the new motor X-member and mounts.
Not like I have room to talk… the “Adventure Machine” hasn’t moved much since the last time you saw it in person. But I’m making progress again… I work at a body shop now… so it’s going to get some cosmetic surgery over the winter…

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Not like I have room to talk… the “Adventure Machine” hasn’t moved much since the last time you saw it in person. But I’m making progress again… I work at a body shop now… so it’s going to get some cosmetic surgery over the winter…
That’s awesome. I would love to get some body shop experience! I try to spend at least 30 minutes everyday towards the progress of the international.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Been working on getting the Yukon Dura Grip installed,

Started by marking the carrier bearing caps with a center punch.
IMG_2337.jpeg
Then I performed an as found pattern check.
IMG_2339.jpeg

Factory open carrier on the bench ready to remove the ring gear.
IMG_2341.jpeg
Ring gear off,
IMG_2345.jpeg

Now to start reassembly......

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Pressing on the new bearings. I was about 3/32" short of getting these on when the socket I was using mad contact with the carrier. Who would have guessed that the hub nut socket was the perfect diameter to finish the job.
IMG_2346.jpeg

IMG_2347.jpeg

So to press the second bearing on I needed to make some spacers so that I was not pressing against the cage of the first bearing.
IMG_2348.jpeg

Threw the ring gear in the oven at 225 degrees for about 30 minutes and it slipped right on the carrier.
IMG_2351.jpeg

And ready go back in.
IMG_2354.jpeg

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I have been running flux core for years. Ran out of wire the other day, so I took the opportunity to buy a CO2 bottle and solid wire. What a difference.
Here is the first go with no changes from the flux core settings.
IMG_2366.jpeg

Last edited: