Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I ran the previous KOs on my first H3 and loved them. These should be even better for you.

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I second the coopers. I run cooper discoverer ATPs and could not be more impressed with them on and off road. The loaner truck I'm driving atm are also coopers; cooper discoverer s/t. I can't say how they perform because it ain't mine to trash but they look pretty aggressive compared to mine.

Cooper Discoverer ATPs:

Cooper Discoverer S/Ts:

Hope that helps.
So I agree with the Cooper recommendations, I've heard and seen nothing but good performance from them, though I personally have Falken Wildpeaks, and I just cant say enough about them. I have a 1994 FZJ80 and I run 285 75 16s through all kinds of terrain, including a lot of Daily Driving. I've never been stuck, they balanced out easy, never had a flat, and my road noise is easily half what it was before with the "Dominator" that was on it when I bought it. (The "Wildpeak" and "Rocky Mountain" are the same tire with the "Rocky Mountain" just being licensed exclusively to Discount Tire).

Untitled by Dave Hunter, on Flickr

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I wouldn't put Cooper tires on my rig or any family member's vehicles right now. That's all I can say about it, I'm sorry for a lack of information.

I'll say that every single manufacture has experienced product failures that have resulted in serious injuries and/or deaths in which the tire failure was believed to be a manufacturing defect. Typically the higher end tires don't seem to have those problems and tires that are younger than 5 years from their date of manufacture typically fare better...

Remember the beginning of Fight Club on the plane where they're talking about the cost balance of a recall vs payout, what he left out wasn't the single cost of the recall, but the cost of the damage to the brand. When civil cases are settled before trial the cases are sealed, the details, findings, expert reports, all of it is sealed and can't be discussed.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I wouldn't put Cooper tires on my rig or any family member's vehicles right now. That's all I can say about it, I'm sorry for a lack of information.

I'll say that every single manufacture has experienced product failures that have resulted in serious injuries and/or deaths in which the tire failure was believed to be a manufacturing defect. Typically the higher end tires don't seem to have those problems and tires that are younger than 5 years from their date of manufacture typically fare better...

Remember the beginning of Fight Club on the plane where they're talking about the cost balance of a recall vs payout, what he left out wasn't the single cost of the recall, but the cost of the damage to the brand. When civil cases are settled before trial the cases are sealed, the details, findings, expert reports, all of it is sealed and can't be discussed.
This marks 15 years of cooper tires on my/my family vehicles with not one spare tire needed.

Thats all the details i need.

I have bfg km1 mud terrains they where ok
Then bfg all terrains
Now bfg baja t/a

But our high mileage/hard work tow and haul rigs? Always always always cooper

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

This marks 15 years of cooper tires on my/my family vehicles with not one spare tire needed.

Thats all the details i need.

I have bfg km1 mud terrains they where ok
Then bfg all terrains
Now bfg baja t/a

But our high mileage/hard work tow and haul rigs? Always always always cooper

And I'm glad for it.

The percentages are small, the numbers of people are high. We average 90 people a day killed in collisions in the US, some of those are due to product failures of some sort, some are due to driver error, some are due to circumstances beyond anyone's control. Each of them are unfortunate.

The benefit of being a collision reconstruction expert is seeing behind the curtain. The curse of being a collision reconstruction expert is seeing behind the curtain.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

uploadfromtaptalk1453521979463.jpg

Oh good to know!

How fast was this genius going? Lol

Ive been wondering.... yes thats my truck

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

View attachment 1622

Oh good to know!

How fast was this genius going? Lol

Ive been wondering.... yes thats my truck

Warp 2.

I'd use CDR and download his car, get the 5 second prior and the Delta-V's post impact, then compare that to the crush damage calculations and scene evidence.

Except outside of significant injury or death no one would want to pay for what all of that investigation costs. The sentence above costs about $15k in time, skill, testimony and report...which I wish I was paid, but I'm not.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Warp 2.

I'd use CDR and download his car, get the 5 second prior and the Delta-V's post impact, then compare that to the crush damage calculations and scene evidence.

Except outside of significant injury or death no one would want to pay for what all of that investigation costs. The sentence above costs about $15k in time, skill, testimony and report...which I wish I was paid, but I'm not.
Yeesh!

Reactions: WUzombies

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I have Primewell Valera (right? Who the heck is that?) AT's. I had them for a month for a massive double-doss of snow hit my area and the tires dominated the snow easily, to the point that I volunteered to drive around and help recover cars and other vehicles that got stuck.

The tires also do extremely well in mud, gravel, dirt, and pavement lol. I've thoroughly tested them in the thickest, nastiest, mud out there (Kentucky clay.....beat that!) and they prevailed wholeheartedly.

Shane, How are you liking the Primewell's so far? I was thinking about getting some but I haven't read too many reviews on them.

.shark.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

I figure I'll add my .02!

What I've run before:
33" nitto terra grapplers
33" cooper discoverer atp
33" BFGs
35" Grabber red letters
35" Nitto Trail grapplers

currently running:
33" mastercraft courser Mxt
- while I don't have many miles on these, I will say that so far they're the best tire I've had. On road they're great, extremely smooth, road noise is comprable with the Cooper Atp's (almost non existent). Off road they're incredible so far, clean out easy, flex great over rock, walk through snow but ice is a different story however They have stud holes if you needed to stud them. Considering price and overall performance so far, these are my favorite! Plus they just look so good on the X

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I just replaced all four of mine with 285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer ATP's (The AT3 as sold by discount tire) so far they are exactly as advertised. I've got an ominous noise from my front axle that is preventing me from putting many miles on them til this weekend when I can sort it all out, but they handle and feel great. They dont hurt the ol Surfer's looks any either.

I'll update this post with actual measurements and such later this afternoon.

New Cooper ATP by Dave Hunter, on Flickr

Last edited:

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

image.png After many years of happily running BFG mud terrains I decided I wanted something in between a mud terrain and an all terrain so was going for a set of Cooper ST Maxx ... Unfortunately the tire shop messed up and got in the STT instead. No complaints, wearing well and handle the road miles with no issues, even in the wet. Shame though, as the ST Maxx came highly recommended and might have got better fuel economy too.

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
View attachment 2159 After many years of happily running BFG mud terrains I decided I wanted something in between a mud terrain and an all terrain so was going for a set of Cooper ST Maxx ... Unfortunately the tire shop messed up and got in the STT instead. No complaints, wearing well and handle the road miles with no issues, even in the wet. Shame though, as the ST Maxx came highly recommended and might have got better fuel economy too.
I chewed on the ST Maxx too when I got mine, but here in Texas, I do more time on the highways than I want to, so I opted for the AT instead. Cooper is doing good things across the board, you can do worse for sure.

Reactions: Tim