Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

First stop, wash the dog. Just as I park, a squealing sound starts from the engine compartment. Weird. The dog is washed. I start the engine and the squeal is still there. Go out and check and notice the serp belt wobbling a bit. Turns out the tensioner pulley is out of alignment. I thought maybe the bolt securing it had loosened up, so I get the belt off. After less then half a turn of the bolt the tensioner falls off. In the darkness I see a ring of fresh metal staring back at me. Looking at the back of the tensioner I got to see what used to fill that freshly opened hole.

Another holiday weekend, another trip to the shop...IMG_7955.JPG IMG_7959.JPG IMG_7956.JPG

Reactions: Sonarman
E

expeditionnorth

First stop, wash the dog. Just as I park, a squealing sound starts from the engine compartment. Weird. The dog is washed. I start the engine and the squeal is still there. Go out and check and notice the serp belt wobbling a bit. Turns out the tensioner pulley is out of alignment. I thought maybe the bolt securing it had loosened up, so I get the belt off. After less then half a turn of the bolt the tensioner falls off. In the darkness I see a ring of fresh metal staring back at me. Looking at the back of the tensioner I got to see what used to fill that freshly opened hole.

Another holiday weekend, another trip to the shop...View attachment 7474 View attachment 7475 View attachment 7476
best of luck, that sux

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

I paid $450 for mine in May, installed it in June, ran it underwater for the first time last Sunday. Worked great till I ran out of battery (engine was stalled due to waterlogged electronics). Then it blew the little fuse in the control box (which also started out underwater, but was above water when it blew). Interestingly, Smittybilt decided to go with a small glass fuse like what you find in some electronics. I couldn't find one anywhere around here. I ended up replacing the fuse holder with a mini-blade style in a weatherproof housing. Finally got the winch line wound back up today. It has been coiled up in the back seat for the last week.
Dang! I haven't ran down my battery with it yet. Sounds like you had an adventure though!

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

I installed OME 885 coils on the blue taco today, along with Bilstein 5100 shocks all around. Makes the truck sit nice and level now, even with the winch and bumper up front. Rides really nice too. Took it on a really rocky road and it seemed much smoother than before. I'm happy with it!

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Had my Congnito steering brace put in on my 2500 Suburban. Finally no more loose wandering steering. Best thing thus far ive done on the burg. should have put on when I did the Congnito 2.5" leveling kit in.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Dang! I haven't ran down my battery with it yet. Sounds like you had an adventure though!
It was definitely that. Winch pulled it out of the deep water (about 4' deep) so that I could get the wife close enough to jump start it. Her WJ is entirely stock, no lift, stock tires. Wednesday, I opened up the center console and found that it was still full of water!!!

Surprisingly, for all of the complaints about WJ electrical problems on the forums, This is the second time I have sunk it in four feet of water and once you dry everything out, it runs normally with no damaged modules. Running the battery down may have not been so good for it though. Went to start it this morning and it wouldn't turn over, even though I showed 12.06 v on a volt meter. This is the battery that was in it when I bought it, so I don't really feel that bad about it if I can't bring it back. Got AGM all picked out for it that should be a little more resilient when it comes to heavy and deep draw current.

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Opened up the roof top tent to wash the sheets, fluff the pillows, and shake out the down comforter.

Also have had a small 1.25" or so tear in the mosquito netting for the left side door.
It happened a few years ago when putting away the tent experimenting with leaving it and the canvas door zipped.
Always leave both the door and the netting unzipped.

Used a product called Tear-Aid type A, and it worked good.
Not totally transparent, but close enough.
Put a patch of it on both sides of the netting, and it is very sticky stuff on one side of it.
Hopefully this holds up well.
Tear-Aid Fabric Repair Kit Gold Type A

Wiped off the canvas too as there were a few dead spiders and cocoons for some type of insect.
Nothing on the inside of the tent, but they can get up in there from the slight gap where the lid comes down and build forts on the outside of the canvas.
Shot some Ortho bug killer around the perimeter of it, that may keep them at bay.

You can see the tear where I have the key sticking through the hole

Patches in place

Climbed up on my ladder for this pic

Still have the original plastic bag on the mattress from 2008, no need to really remove it

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Added thirty more horsepower this morning with three stickers at ten horsepower each.

Found a good place for the Factor 55 one since I am running their hawse fairlead and the ProLink thimble

Put three round ones on the rear of the tent, need another round one for the left side to balance it out

I am not really into smothering the rig with a ton of stickers, but a few placed around does not look to bad IMO.

OverlandHiker

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger III

Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
A few months ago my 2007 Tacoma started to develop some clear coat failure and rust spots on the roof. At the same time the fiberglass camper shell also started to have clear coat failure on the roof. My hunch is one of the chemicals in the car wash I use was actually a degreaser and it did a number in the roof.

Last weekend I sanded down all of the rust spots and put "Rust Fix" on them. This weekend I went over treated areas with some sand paper and then primed the entire roof. Finally, after a thorough cleaning I applied the first coat of Dupli-Color spray paint to the roof.

Next weekend I will clean it again, apply one more coat of paint and then apply some clear coat to it. Finally, I will polish it, wash it and call it good.

I am learning a lot about "low budget" rust repairs in the process. I sure hope it will turn out okay in the end.