Santa Barbara, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Pickton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6SRP (GMRS WROQ518)
I swapped TPMS from one set of rims to another. A BeadBuster XB-455 made this super easy. After breaking and re-seating the beads on 8 tires I am feeling much more confident for tire repairs on the trail.

Reactions: roots66 and Shahn

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Not my rig per se, but my teardrop.

Like most vehicle projects, it’s never just a simple matter to swap something.

I only wanted some tougher tires. But no, the smallest 14” all terrain tire is 27”. The ones I had that keep getting rock cuts, were just under 25”. Eh, no biggie, I actually had clearance under the fender.

but not the lip.

IMG_1229.jpeg

I could have done some spacers to slide it out a bit. A friend @2WheelRob mentioned blocks at the spring perches to lift. Yeahbut, the axle was on top. It’s also crowned so no flipping it like I originally intended. But I started looking anyway.
Viola, Dexter makes an accessory to do the under-over conversion. It’s bolt in, but recommended to tack weld it after installation.

Before. That’s only the spring perch with the notch.

IMG_1238.jpeg

And after.

IMG_1283.jpeg

Before and after, with the frame level in both. The new tires give an inch of lift. The axle flip gives 4“.

IMG_9246.jpeg

IMG_1290.jpeg

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

Not my rig per se, but my teardrop.

Like most vehicle projects, it’s never just a simple matter to swap something.

I only wanted some tougher tires. But no, the smallest 14” all terrain tire is 27”. The ones I had that keep getting rock cuts, were just under 25”. Eh, no biggie, I actually had clearance under the fender.

but not the lip.

IMG_1229.jpeg

I could have done some spacers to slide it out a bit. A friend @2WheelRob mentioned blocks at the spring perches to lift. Yeahbut, the axle was on top. It’s also crowned so no flipping it like I originally intended. But I started looking anyway.
Viola, Dexter makes an accessory to do the under-over conversion. It’s bolt in, but recommended to tack weld it after installation.

Before. That’s only the spring perch with the notch.

IMG_1238.jpeg

And after.

IMG_1283.jpeg

Before and after, with the frame level in both. The new tires give an inch of lift. The axle flip gives 4“.

IMG_9246.jpeg

IMG_1290.jpeg
Looks awesome Rex!!

Reactions: Sparksalot

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Did the ball joints and U-joints on the YJ's front axle. Was a 2 part project due to finding the u-joints absolutely trashed when I went to do the ball joints and I only had one spare 760X ujoint on the shelf. When I completed the job yesterday I found out I must have not been paying attention to when I clicked "buy now" and wound up with a "RABROPAR U-JONIT MADE IN CHINA". Note: I didn't misspell U-JOINT they did on their package haha.

My AMAZON review of said joint

I bought one of these by accident, because I wasn't paying attention when I hit buy it now and thought I was buying a SPICER brand 760X Life sealed joint. Due to time constraints, sending it back wasn't an option. I put this in the passenger side of a Dana 30 axle in a YJ. I'm going to run it till failure

The journal cross is though drilled. This isn't a huge deal, but the OEM style Spicer Life sealed joints use a solid cross. There are no thrust washers like in an OEM Spicer joint. I'm dubious the seals are as good as a SPICER joint, but have no way to prove that.

Besides that, if you buy these joints, you're going to need to take them apart and put some more grease in them. Only 2 of the caps had any grease in them at all and the journal cross had 2 dabs of grease. The grease looked to be about the same consistency as Vaseline. I repacked the caps and cross with LUCAS Marine grease that I use on most everything else. Hopefully this will prevent a premature failure.

It should be noted that the position this joint is in will not see a lot of use. The YJ has a vacuum disconnect so while that joint will spin it won't be seeing much of any load during normal use.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
A little test day for the WJ at Hollister Hills park. Lost a spring on a trail twice, so still a bit of tuning to do. Not too shabby for a short arm suspension.
Limit strap. Or an XJ style bump stop that goes through the center of the spring.

Reactions: Shahn

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Limit strap. Or an XJ style bump stop that goes through the center of the spring.
Front has bar pin eliminators, which may be all the difference by adding 3/4 inch to length of shock. I was getting cute and added them, but don't really need them with these long shocks. Will remove and retest. If still an issue then yes, spring retention scheme required and parts are readily available for a XJ inspired set up. Not thrilled about limit straps for this vehicle, just more stuff dangling around. That would be my last option, and likely show up if I ever go long arm on the front- if I do I might as well go higher in lift, and this dial in process all starts over lol.

Reactions: Shahn