Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Sorry that I had to bail early...after airing up, jury-rigging the driveshaft with zip ties (zip ties FTW!) until I could drop the driveshaft to remove the ring, I found that I made it home with no problems (and no NVH issues).

Hope the rest of the ride went smoothly!IMG_0142.jpg66820191147__D8C5F6A5-85EC-4EFF-A169-F9B8066E2F3E.jpg

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Sorry you had to bail early. Glad you made it home OK.
The road ended up being physically closed about a mile farther and we had to turn around. Ultimately we ended up heading up towards Flagpole.

kooner2k

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

GLADE SPRING, VA, USA
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Koontz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JLT
I moved from California last June and now we are in Glade Spring, VA. We are getting settled in and taking small drives around us. Hopefully this spring we can hook up with some local activities and meet some new people.

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Just posted a video highlighting some potential camping spots in the northern (Lee District) part of the George Washington National Forest.

Hope y'all are able to take advantage of this beautiful spring weather.

Reactions: init6Overland

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Did anything ever happen with this thread?
There are several active groups in the Tidewater area. Coastal Virginia Overland (Instagram) has a trip to Flagpole Knob planned for July. Tidewater Fourwheelers (Facebook) is planning a ride on the Bald Mountain Jeep Trail this Saturday. Friends, Fuel, & 4x4s (Facebook) did a recent meet in Chesapeake and does weekend runs to the Outer Banks every couple weeks.

I haven't been able to join anything organized here on OB - discussions started in the forum thread sometimes lead to unannounced rallies opened on Rally Point, so check both sides frequently.

Reactions: Krusty

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Did anything ever happen with this thread?
Grunni - follow-up - I saw that you drive a 4Runner - the Appalachian Toyota Roundup held over Labor Day weekend at Windrock in East Tennessee is a solid event, with daily trail rides at Green , Easy Blue, Hard Blue, and Difficult levels, meals, regional Toyota vendors (LFD, Budbuilt, Apex Overland, Yotamafia...) with festival camping. There are under a hundred tickets left so expect it to sell out in the next week or so.

Actus542

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Adams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4RTA
Question for the group. I live about 30 miles from Flagpole Knob. For those that have done it, do you think a stock Subaru Outback could handle it? I’ve never been up there before but I’ve heard about people loving the trip up there.

Reactions: BillB

nuclear_runner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
Question for the group. I live about 30 miles from Flagpole Knob. For those that have done it, do you think a stock Subaru Outback could handle it? I’ve never been up there before but I’ve heard about people loving the trip up there.
Assume you mean Dunkle Hollow Rd and not Union Springs. My friend made it up Dunkle Hollow in a Crosstrek with AT tires and armor. The one turn that's been eroded bigly was pretty sketch and I think he might have had two wheels in the air at some point. I don't know that I'd recommend doing it alone or with stock tires.

Reactions: BillB and Actus542