WPOtter

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Markham, Virginia, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Porter
Question for the group. I live about 30 miles from Flagpole Knob. For those that have done it, do you think a stock Subaru Outback could handle it? I’ve never been up there before but I’ve heard about people loving the trip up there.
I w done it in a stock ride height 4x4 F150 with standard truck road tires…. Carefully. Just pay attention to your drive line it’s doable.

Actus542

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Adams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4RTA
Question for the group. I live about 30 miles from Flagpole Knob. For those that have done it, do you think a stock Subaru Outback could handle it? I’ve never been up there before but I’ve heard about people loving the trip up there.
Assume you mean Dunkle Hollow Rd and not Union Springs. My friend made it up Dunkle Hollow in a Crosstrek with AT tires and armor. The one turn that's been eroded bigly was pretty sketch and I think he might have had two wheels in the air at some point. I don't know that I'd recommend doing it alone or with stock tires.
I didn’t know there was more than one way up there.

nuclear_runner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
Assume you mean Dunkle Hollow Rd and not Union Springs. My friend made it up Dunkle Hollow in a Crosstrek with AT tires and armor. The one turn that's been eroded bigly was pretty sketch and I think he might have had two wheels in the air at some point. I don't know that I'd recommend doing it alone or with stock tires.
There are 3 main ways up. Dunkle Hollow Rd, Union Springs and you can take the road up to Reddish Knob and switch to a pretty easy dirt road for a little bit. You could almost certainly make it on the last option.

Reactions: Actus542

Actus542

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Adams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4RTA
There are 3 main ways up. Dunkle Hollow Rd, Union Springs and you can take the road up to Reddish Knob and switch to a pretty easy dirt road for a little bit. You could almost certainly make it on the last option.
I’ll have to try that last option as an easy start lol. I know the reddish knob road well enough

Actus542

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Adams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4RTA
Have you ever gone to Potts Mtn?
Never even heard of it lol. I haven’t had anything to do with off road since I was a kid about 30 years ago, when my dad would take us 4 wheeling in his Scout. I only know of flagpole because my wife is a 911 dispatcher for Rockingham County and tells me about people getting stuck up there. So of course, I now want to try it.

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

Never even heard of it lol. I haven’t had anything to do with off road since I was a kid about 30 years ago, when my dad would take us 4 wheeling in his Scout. I only know of flagpole because my wife is a 911 dispatcher for Rockingham County and tells me about people getting stuck up there. So of course, I now want to try it.
Lol! Starting to sound like a party now

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

I met a guy about a year and a half ago who lives in Blacksburg and has run Potts numerous times. I asked if a stock JKU Rubicon could make it. He paused and said he wouldn't recommend it. I then asked about a CJ7 w/ 33" tires and lockers and he said that should do fine.
Myself and a friend were going to do Potts back in Nov, but I had alternator issues with the CJ on the way there. Only got less than halfway before I had to get towed back home.
So the weekend wasn't a complete washout (quite literally, it poured down rain all day Fri) we met up on Sat at Hone Creek campground south west of Harrisonburg. I had the JK with the Ursa Minor for that trip. We ran Union Springs up to Flagpole, then out the southern route towards Reddish. A couple of the ledges that I've never had issue with before had been rutted out. I had to winch over one because of lack of breakover clearance (stock suspension and tire size) and it took some good spotting to get over the 2nd one.

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

I met a guy about a year and a half ago who lives in Blacksburg and has run Potts numerous times. I asked if a stock JKU Rubicon could make it. He paused and said he wouldn't recommend it. I then asked about a CJ7 w/ 33" tires and lockers and he said that should do fine.
Myself and a friend were going to do Potts back in Nov, but I had alternator issues with the CJ on the way there. Only got less than halfway before I had to get towed back home.
So the weekend wasn't a complete washout (quite literally, it poured down rain all day Fri) we met up on Sat at Hone Creek campground south west of Harrisonburg. I had the JK with the Ursa Minor for that trip. We ran Union Springs up to Flagpole, then out the southern route towards Reddish. A couple of the ledges that I've never had issue with before had been rutted out. I had to winch over one because of lack of breakover clearance (stock suspension and tire size) and it took some good spotting to get over the 2nd one.
Well hell guys....let make a trip. John, it sounds like you know the area....certainly better than I do. Maybe we could talk something up?

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Well hell guys....let make a trip. John, it sounds like you know the area....certainly better than I do. Maybe we could talk something up?
I've only been through the area once, but that sounds like that still make me the "expert" lol

You know the definition of expert, right? Ex is a has-been and a spert is a drip of fluid under force.

Reactions: Krusty

init6Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shenandoah, VA, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
VDP
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBL679
The new 4x4 Park is opening soon!

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I know western VA is where the geographic features begin to appear that make wheeling interesting. It's also where you start to find large plots of affordable land. But its proximity to various National Forests in VA and WV, which are free, may put it at a disadvantage. What demand for such a park is there in that area? Something east of I-95 would basically print money, but McGaheysville is less than an hour away from several of the most popular trails in the state.

Reactions: Brooks638

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

I know western VA is where the geographic features begin to appear that make wheeling interesting. It's also where you start to find large plots of affordable land. But its proximity to various National Forests in VA and WV, which are free, may put it at a disadvantage. What demand for such a park is there in that area? Something east of I-95 would basically print money, but McGaheysville is less than an hour away from several of the most popular trails in the state.
I’ll take a stab at answering your question. Not sure how often Shawn logs on…
You are correct, the national forest system is nearby and it does offer wonderful get-off-the-highway opportunities. However, for those seeking more offroading challenges, such as rock crawling, the national forest is very limited for such activities and still remain within allowable routes and Tread Lightly principles. That is where an offroad park comes in. The closest to that area that I am aware of is just west of Winchester, Big Dogs and Chaos. Big Dogs is an event venue at a campground only a couple of times a year. I think Chaos is limited as well when it’s open. Next closest that I’m aware of is in PA.
Hope that answers your question.

Reactions: Kevin108 and Krusty

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

Keep this thread going with a couple updates like dates you're planning to be open. I would certainly be interested in it if for no other reason than to keep my skills sharp and improving

init6Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shenandoah, VA, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
VDP
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBL679
Keep this thread going with a couple updates like dates you're planning to be open. I would certainly be interested in it if for no other reason than to keep my skills sharp and improving
We are opening on fridays in sept and grand opening is Oct 5. The night before expo starts.