Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
Not that I'm aware of. Only been in NoVA since August though.
Surely there is some decent dispersed camping around GW/TJ NF without going wheeling?! I know several jeep/off roading clubs in the area that camp but not looking to go that hard (yet?).

Reactions: ECHAIL

JHosking

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Coeburn, VA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hosking
Member #

Service Branch
Navy veteran
Coeburn, Va here...for now anyway. Lol...this is my home base, but fulltime RV with Jeep Wrangler to explore overland wherever we go.

Reactions: Mehdi.koch

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Heeeeeelllllooooooooooo? Anyone out there? Hampton roads Va here. Pic for attention
Another Hampton Roads member here. We went to the Appalachian Toyota Roundup last weekend and will go to the Overland Expo in October. We're skipping the James River Rooftop Tent Rally this year, but we had fun last year and will go again next year.

On 18 September there will be a Coastal Virginia Overland Truck Meet at the Garage Brewery in Chesapeake. Check @covaoverland on Instagram.

Rally Point has an event in early December to run the Virginia section of the Trans-American Trail.

Reactions: Kevin108

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Surely there is some decent dispersed camping around GW/TJ NF without going wheeling?! I know several jeep/off roading clubs in the area that camp but not looking to go that hard (yet?).
Two sites to play with and check out.

Forest Service Visitor Map Nationa forest maps. You can play around all day long looking for camping or what have you. Also, you can click on a Forest Road/trail, and it will give you basic info about it. Not all roads that say “high clearance“ are exactly that.. proceed with caution though. If said gravel road mentions passenger car, you are fine. Dispersed camping is all over the place out there.

Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) State Wildlife management areas.

dgard1

Rank 0

Contributor I

Lynchburg, VA
First Name
David
Last Name
Gardner
Very new to the OB community.
If OB / Virginia community friends decide to meet somewhere occasionally, I would travel unless higher priority (aka family) needs do not allow.
I look forward to meeting my fellow VA friends soon :)

nuclear_runner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
Two sites to play with and check out.

Forest Service Visitor Map Nationa forest maps. You can play around all day long looking for camping or what have you. Also, you can click on a Forest Road/trail, and it will give you basic info about it. Not all roads that say “high clearance“ are exactly that.. proceed with caution though. If said gravel road mentions passenger car, you are fine. Dispersed camping is all over the place out there.

Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) State Wildlife management areas.
For sure, but at 2 million acres some areas have got to be better than others. On the other hand there are so many lightly used (except when you randomly have people using them for family reunions) campgrounds that you can always fall back to that. Getting into peak weather but sadly I'm having some health issues which I'm hoping to get resolved soon. Might take a few days and see what the Lee District has to offer.

init6Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shenandoah, VA, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
VDP
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBL679
Sorry I have not posted in awhile. Life, family, business....

A few friends and I have started a new Overland Business here in the Valley called Terra Overland!

Terraoverland - Alfa One

We rent and sell Overland Rigs and Gear - Tents to Tires.

#TrailBnB

Our first rig is now renting and our second will be hitting the trails at the end of this month.

Keep and eye out for our BaseCamp located on Rt. 33 in McGaheysville!

I am moving the Shenandoah Valley Rigs & Coffee Meet Up from Blue Elk Coffee to BaseCamp.... It will still be held on the first sat of the month, except for Jan, it will be held on the second sat the 8th due to the holiday!
Hope to see everyone come out and check out this great new space where we hope to host many Overland Events!

Attachments

Zombie

Local Expert Virginia, USA
Investor

Advocate III

Richmond, VA USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZTU
DONT FORGET. Shenandoah Valley Rig & Coffee for Jan has been changed to JAN 8th because of the holiday.
Can you change the rally point date to avoid confusion for those not on this thread?