Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

So I’m trying to find a local place to get eye nuts for our roof rack and came across Grainger. They have two different versions. A low carbon and a Zinc. Does someone know more about steel than I do that can tell me which would work for just holding totes and a solar shower to the rack?
Check with Tacoma Screw in Pasco, if they don't have it in stock I'm sure they can order them in. Their price is generally better than grainger.

Reactions: G.Goodwin

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Or Fastenal over gy the Richland airport. They have short hours, but you can order online and they have a locker outside that you can pick up from. Like an Amazon locker. Also, Griggs (Ace) Hardware and Ranch and Home have lots of fasteners.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So I’m trying to find a local place to get eye nuts for our roof rack and came across Grainger. They have two different versions. A low carbon and a Zinc. Does someone know more about steel than I do that can tell me which would work for just holding totes and a solar shower to the rack?
Home - M & M Bolt Co (mmboltco.com) I buy all my Grade 8 hardware from these guys. Great pricing. In pasco.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Last weekend was hot but a lot of fun.

I would like to get more people selling overland, outdoor recreation gear, 4x4 parts and more next year. The price for a 15'x30' is only $25 for the weekend. That also gets you into the main show. You can camp in your spot.

Here are some photos of this year's event to show you what it is like. 40th Annual Pioneer Power Show & Swap Meet

I got two spaces this year. Here is my vendor spot:

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Here is a different view of the 2022 Pioneer Power Show:
Is there a swap meet section? Looks fun. I've got an ol' 1949 Ford 8n back in Wyoming. Bought it for my youngest to learn to drive on. He ended up cutting a dirt bike track with it and the attached sickle mower.Lol

Reactions: Ceg

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Is there a swap meet section? Looks fun. I've got an ol' 1949 Ford 8n back in Wyoming. Bought it for my youngest to learn to drive on. He ended up cutting a dirt bike track with it and the attached sickle mower.Lol
Yes there is a swap meet and they made me camp host to check in vendors. I am trying to fine more people that want to have a booth there next year. I would like to get more 4x4 and outdoor recreation booths there next year. With the vendor fee your group gets into the main show.

I love this event because of all the history and old equipment. I grew up around and drove a lot of these types of old tractors. This was the first year I brought my little John Deere. It is a lot newer than most tractors.

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

I’ve been a little MIA but wanted to give a little update. My family and a friends family are leaving in the morning to do the WA BDR. Over the last month I have added a full length roof rack, Ironman 4x4 270 awning, kickass shower stall, iron man 4x4 amber flood lights on each corner of the rack as well as two harbor freight rock lights in the grab handles on the roof rack. I also made a solar shower out of PVC that works pretty slick. All in all I think it will be a pretty good trip and good weather with good friends. Once we get back on Monday, I’ll post some pics and give an update of our trip.

Attachments

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I’ve been a little MIA but wanted to give a little update. My family and a friends family are leaving in the morning to do the WA BDR. Over the last month I have added a full length roof rack, Ironman 4x4 270 awning, kickass shower stall, iron man 4x4 amber flood lights on each corner of the rack as well as two harbor freight rock lights in the grab handles on the roof rack. I also made a solar shower out of PVC that works pretty slick. All in all I think it will be a pretty good trip and good weather with good friends. Once we get back on Monday, I’ll post some pics and give an update of our trip.
Rig is looking good! Hope you guys have a great trip. Looking forward to hearing the stories and seeing the pics.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Reactions: Ceg

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I didn't know that Moses lake had sand dunes, but I am not from here. I will try to make this a day trip. It is grape season (side hustle) so can't guarantee it, but would love to check it out.
Yes, Moses Lake has sand dunes and that got me into loving 4 wheeling. I was in 5th Grade in 1975 when my step Dad took me there in his 1972 Chevy Pickup. I only lived in Moses Lake two years so I did not get to drive there myself until 1990 or so.

I have been to Moses Lake Sand Dunes many times since and found the best time to go is while the Potholes Reservoir is open to ORVs. It is close October 1st - July 1st. I think the Potholes are the best part of Moses Lake Sand Dunes.

I hope you can make it out the day. The main trip is 10 am Saturday from camp in the gravel pit.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
I didn't know that Moses lake had sand dunes, but I am not from here. I will try to make this a day trip. It is grape season (side hustle) so can't guarantee it, but would love to check it out.
You should go to Chico's Pizza in Moses Lake afterwards.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Well after 5 days of traveling and camping with 4 adults 3 kids and a dog (in total), we completed the WA BDR. I have to say, it was a great trip. Lots to see, some fantastic views and a nice trail with very minimal technical challenges. If you get the chance to travel this route, I highly suggest it.

Day 1: we started late. I had just put new ball joints, CV Axles and tie rods on the rig so I thought it would be good to have it aligned before we went on a 1000 mile excursion. They came back a couple hours later and let me know the rack needed replaced and it wasn't worth the alignment. I asked if it was bad or terrible. they said it was drivable so we left at about 1PM loaded to the max and to the bridge of the Gods pay booth. Made it over the bridge with a $3 payment. We made it about miles up the gravel road before we decided to call it a night. The Gazelle tent went up quick and beds were set and dinner was being made by my fantastic wife.

Day 2: We all woke up at about 8. We were in a low spot surrounded by mountains so the sun did not wake us up at 5 like I was expecting. After we ate and tore everything down and had it all put away, it was about 10:30. A much, much, later start to the day that I had originally planned. We made our way to Packwood, somehow avoiding all of the fire and smoke in the area, but we did not stop at the bi annual flea market. I tried everything I could to convince everyone but didn't have any luck. We made our way over white pass and to the Bethel Ridge Rd off of Hwy 12. I have never driven over Bethel Ridge but I knew what to expect from what I had seen from previous posts and what people stated. As always, it did not disappoint. After a little photo shoot we continued on our way down the trail. This is the section that was shut down last year when we were doing sections of the BDR. The fire crew made a mess of the trail and put logs and slash piles in and around the trail so it was quite tight in some sections. There was also major ruts and dried up mud pits from the spring when other wheelers were on the trail. I could only imagine what it looked like in the spring time. We made it to the far side of Bethel Ridge and called it a day.

Day 3: We started the day about 8. All loaded up and ready to see what the trail would bring. We told ourselves we wouldn't start the days late again on this trip. We traveled through the rest of Bethel Ridge and out onto Nile Rd. and eventually onto HWY 410 for a mile or so. We then traveled up the mountain and over the ridge into the area of Wenas. There isn't much to see in this area as it looks just like home but with hills. Just outside Wenas we stopped for lunch where my family had stopped for the night the previous year. After lunch we made our way through the wildlife area and into Ellensburg. After a quick fuel up and caffeine stop we made our way out of Ellensburg and made a stop at Lions rock. I had never been here and I thought it would be a little bit better than what it was. It was still a good lookout though. After lion rock we traveled through a very old fire and it was a different type of feeling. The trees were all white and there wasn't much growth back for how long it had seemed that the fire had occurred. We tried to find a spot to camp all of that late afternoon and into the evening but there was literally nothing. We didn't know the rules of camping at a trail head and the state park campgound only had one campsite available (at all times) and it is a group of 20. The most dumb thing I had ever heard in my life. We all decided that it was going to be a night in a hotel. The kids needed a break and honestly I think I slept worse in the bed than I did in the tent.

Day 4: We aired up at the hotel as it was quite a bit of pavement to the start of the trail. While airing up we talked to another group who wondered if we were doing the BDR as the driver had done it on a motorcycle and came out to do section 4 for the day. That gave us hope that this section wasn't going to take all day and would be a good sightseeing day. We sure weren't wrong. Lots of elevation changes and you ran along the tops of the ridges. There was smoke in the air but it wasn't terrible. We made our way into Cashmere where we filled up and grabbed a six pack of beer and some Oreos as we were going to stop at the sugarloaf lookout. My wife had seen a post where a group had stopped and talked with them and asked what they needed. They said Beer, Fresh fruit, Oreos and a couple other items. Once we were on the road again we traveled back up the mountain side gaining elevation quickly. We made a stop at the top of Chumstick Mountain where we met a group of motorcycles doing the BDR. We had been chasing and following them since day 1. They had tried to complete it the year prior but on less capable bikes. The smoke was pretty thick but they said the views from that spot were incredible, so we deiced that next year we would take a trip just to see the view. We ate lunch just below the turn out to Chumstick. Next we went to visit the Sugarloaf Lookout. This was probably the best venture we did the whole trip. The kids got out to walk a bunch and burned a bunch of energy as we made them walk the entire way to the lookout. I was glad we actually got to enjoy the lookout as the previous ones I had visited did not allow guests due to Covid. It was some great views and a great backstory on the lookout it self from the tenants. After about an hour break, we took off back the same way we came in. Lots of elevation changes and climbs occurred on this day. The rig definitely got a workout in but the views were amazing. We called it a night at a "campground" called Windy Campground. We had a hard time finding it as it had been burned and they had not done anything about it. I don't know when the fire occurred but it was sometime this year. We were able to decipher where the sites were eventually. It was a great spot that overlooked Lake Chelan.

Day 5: In the morning, we decided that we were going to do the bypass section where it narrows. The other family we were with had a friend take their vehicle through it and regretted the decision. We made our way into Chelan and restocked our ice and grabbed a few more snacks and drinks. This day was a lot of pavement driving. I didnt realize how much there really was. In total, we knocked out just over 160 miles. There was pavement where I would have never expected it. We stopped in Twisp to top off our fuel as the town of Conconully was known for not being open or not having any fuel available. We found out that when we got there, they were open and there was a group of motorcycles fueling up. I was relieved to see it open but it was a good call for us to stop knowing what people were saying about it on the forums. The roads out of Conconully were not the best. They were very rocky and even at 20 pounds I was slipping on some of the rocks. We ran into several groups of cows on the way up to our campsite for the day. This was probably the most boring section of it all. There was not much to look at and the roads weren't very challenging. We ended up finding a campsite at 6800 ft. Looking back on it, it probably wasn't the best decision but it's what we had found. I had brought a buddy heater just in case it got cold. I had never had to use a heater in a tent so I didnt know what to expect. At about 3am my wife said she was cold and that the kids should probably be getting cold as well. It took about 10 minutes before that little heater had changed the temperature in our tent from about 30 degrees to 50. I was absolutely impressed. Our tent is not small. I changed into clothes that were not ice cold and I actually enjoyed the morning process. Once we were up and moving we had the audacity to check the temp. It was a nice 34 degrees at 7:30am. The coldest it was the whole trip and I'm glad we chose the spot we did as the one we were going to do was about another 200 ft higher and at the top of the ridge. So the wind would be blowing as well as be even colder. All in all it was a great test for the gear we have.

Day 6: Once everything was packed up, the heaters at full blast, we headed down the trail. Dodging every cow we could. I think we moved about 40 cows out of our way as well as had a little cattle drive of our own, ha ha. We left camp just after 8 and was at the border at around 11 even with all of the cows. It was a very surreal experience and I couldn't believe that we had made it to the end. It just seemed like it would be a little different. I don't know how to explain it. We ended up taking a few photos just outside the border crossing. We headed back home via HWY 97 but made a detour via Coulee Dam. I had been here before but never really stopped. They had a very nice visitor center and I would say the next time you are up that way, to make a stop.

All in all it was a great trip, with great company, and with minimal issues. We tested out what we thought we would need and what we needed to change. I think next year we are going to do Idaho's BDR or Oregon's BDR if it becomes official. Eventually I will be able to post photos but I did not take many and my wife and other group are still working on getting the photos uploaded.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Well after 5 days of traveling and camping with 4 adults 3 kids and a dog (in total), we completed the WA BDR. I have to say, it was a great trip. Lots to see, some fantastic views and a nice trail with very minimal technical challenges. If you get the chance to travel this route, I highly suggest it.

Day 1: we started late. I had just put new ball joints, CV Axles and tie rods on the rig so I thought it would be good to have it aligned before we went on a 1000 mile excursion. They came back a couple hours later and let me know the rack needed replaced and it wasn't worth the alignment. I asked if it was bad or terrible. they said it was drivable so we left at about 1PM loaded to the max and to the bridge of the Gods pay booth. Made it over the bridge with a $3 payment. We made it about miles up the gravel road before we decided to call it a night. The Gazelle tent went up quick and beds were set and dinner was being made by my fantastic wife.

Day 2: We all woke up at about 8. We were in a low spot surrounded by mountains so the sun did not wake us up at 5 like I was expecting. After we ate and tore everything down and had it all put away, it was about 10:30. A much, much, later start to the day that I had originally planned. We made our way to Packwood, somehow avoiding all of the fire and smoke in the area, but we did not stop at the bi annual flea market. I tried everything I could to convince everyone but didn't have any luck. We made our way over white pass and to the Bethel Ridge Rd off of Hwy 12. I have never driven over Bethel Ridge but I knew what to expect from what I had seen from previous posts and what people stated. As always, it did not disappoint. After a little photo shoot we continued on our way down the trail. This is the section that was shut down last year when we were doing sections of the BDR. The fire crew made a mess of the trail and put logs and slash piles in and around the trail so it was quite tight in some sections. There was also major ruts and dried up mud pits from the spring when other wheelers were on the trail. I could only imagine what it looked like in the spring time. We made it to the far side of Bethel Ridge and called it a day.

Day 3: We started the day about 8. All loaded up and ready to see what the trail would bring. We told ourselves we wouldn't start the days late again on this trip. We traveled through the rest of Bethel Ridge and out onto Nile Rd. and eventually onto HWY 410 for a mile or so. We then traveled up the mountain and over the ridge into the area of Wenas. There isn't much to see in this area as it looks just like home but with hills. Just outside Wenas we stopped for lunch where my family had stopped for the night the previous year. After lunch we made our way through the wildlife area and into Ellensburg. After a quick fuel up and caffeine stop we made our way out of Ellensburg and made a stop at Lions rock. I had never been here and I thought it would be a little bit better than what it was. It was still a good lookout though. After lion rock we traveled through a very old fire and it was a different type of feeling. The trees were all white and there wasn't much growth back for how long it had seemed that the fire had occurred. We tried to find a spot to camp all of that late afternoon and into the evening but there was literally nothing. We didn't know the rules of camping at a trail head and the state park campgound only had one campsite available (at all times) and it is a group of 20. The most dumb thing I had ever heard in my life. We all decided that it was going to be a night in a hotel. The kids needed a break and honestly I think I slept worse in the bed than I did in the tent.

Day 4: We aired up at the hotel as it was quite a bit of pavement to the start of the trail. While airing up we talked to another group who wondered if we were doing the BDR as the driver had done it on a motorcycle and came out to do section 4 for the day. That gave us hope that this section wasn't going to take all day and would be a good sightseeing day. We sure weren't wrong. Lots of elevation changes and you ran along the tops of the ridges. There was smoke in the air but it wasn't terrible. We made our way into Cashmere where we filled up and grabbed a six pack of beer and some Oreos as we were going to stop at the sugarloaf lookout. My wife had seen a post where a group had stopped and talked with them and asked what they needed. They said Beer, Fresh fruit, Oreos and a couple other items. Once we were on the road again we traveled back up the mountain side gaining elevation quickly. We made a stop at the top of Chumstick Mountain where we met a group of motorcycles doing the BDR. We had been chasing and following them since day 1. They had tried to complete it the year prior but on less capable bikes. The smoke was pretty thick but they said the views from that spot were incredible, so we deiced that next year we would take a trip just to see the view. We ate lunch just below the turn out to Chumstick. Next we went to visit the Sugarloaf Lookout. This was probably the best venture we did the whole trip. The kids got out to walk a bunch and burned a bunch of energy as we made them walk the entire way to the lookout. I was glad we actually got to enjoy the lookout as the previous ones I had visited did not allow guests due to Covid. It was some great views and a great backstory on the lookout it self from the tenants. After about an hour break, we took off back the same way we came in. Lots of elevation changes and climbs occurred on this day. The rig definitely got a workout in but the views were amazing. We called it a night at a "campground" called Windy Campground. We had a hard time finding it as it had been burned and they had not done anything about it. I don't know when the fire occurred but it was sometime this year. We were able to decipher where the sites were eventually. It was a great spot that overlooked Lake Chelan.

Day 5: In the morning, we decided that we were going to do the bypass section where it narrows. The other family we were with had a friend take their vehicle through it and regretted the decision. We made our way into Chelan and restocked our ice and grabbed a few more snacks and drinks. This day was a lot of pavement driving. I didnt realize how much there really was. In total, we knocked out just over 160 miles. There was pavement where I would have never expected it. We stopped in Twisp to top off our fuel as the town of Conconully was known for not being open or not having any fuel available. We found out that when we got there, they were open and there was a group of motorcycles fueling up. I was relieved to see it open but it was a good call for us to stop knowing what people were saying about it on the forums. The roads out of Conconully were not the best. They were very rocky and even at 20 pounds I was slipping on some of the rocks. We ran into several groups of cows on the way up to our campsite for the day. This was probably the most boring section of it all. There was not much to look at and the roads weren't very challenging. We ended up finding a campsite at 6800 ft. Looking back on it, it probably wasn't the best decision but it's what we had found. I had brought a buddy heater just in case it got cold. I had never had to use a heater in a tent so I didnt know what to expect. At about 3am my wife said she was cold and that the kids should probably be getting cold as well. It took about 10 minutes before that little heater had changed the temperature in our tent from about 30 degrees to 50. I was absolutely impressed. Our tent is not small. I changed into clothes that were not ice cold and I actually enjoyed the morning process. Once we were up and moving we had the audacity to check the temp. It was a nice 34 degrees at 7:30am. The coldest it was the whole trip and I'm glad we chose the spot we did as the one we were going to do was about another 200 ft higher and at the top of the ridge. So the wind would be blowing as well as be even colder. All in all it was a great test for the gear we have.

Day 6: Once everything was packed up, the heaters at full blast, we headed down the trail. Dodging every cow we could. I think we moved about 40 cows out of our way as well as had a little cattle drive of our own, ha ha. We left camp just after 8 and was at the border at around 11 even with all of the cows. It was a very surreal experience and I couldn't believe that we had made it to the end. It just seemed like it would be a little different. I don't know how to explain it. We ended up taking a few photos just outside the border crossing. We headed back home via HWY 97 but made a detour via Coulee Dam. I had been here before but never really stopped. They had a very nice visitor center and I would say the next time you are up that way, to make a stop.

All in all it was a great trip, with great company, and with minimal issues. We tested out what we thought we would need and what we needed to change. I think next year we are going to do Idaho's BDR or Oregon's BDR if it becomes official. Eventually I will be able to post photos but I did not take many and my wife and other group are still working on getting the photos uploaded.
Glad you all had a great trip. Thanks for the awesome write up. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.