Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I was gonna ask you on Facebook but since Im already here did you delete both sway bars on the OB?
I deleted the rear completely, but I used the RalliTek adjustable front sway bar linkage on the front. They are basically a bolt type of thing in the middle of the link that makes it easy to disconnect or reconnect without having to remove anything. It's a little sketchy driving with no front sway bar at highway speed.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Any subie owners here who tow off-road?

I'm looking to fab my own trailer (it's by far the cheapest option for me - and the most fun)! :grinning: It'll do double duty as an overland trailer and utility trailer, since I do a lot of river cleanups and community gardening stuff. Just wondering on what axle weights I should go with: Is 2000 lb sufficient, or should I just run with a 3500 lb axle? I don't expect to tow more than 500-1500lbs on the regular, but from everything I've read, the Forester can safely tow up to 4409lbs (2000kg) so long as the trailer is braked and you keep your speed low (this is a UK rating, where lower towing speeds are legally mandated). To my knowledge the UK and Canadian Foresters are the same, except the UK have a transmission cooler and possibly higher spring rate in the rear (both things I plan on adding).

So basically, does it make sense to build a trailer that could tow 3500lbs, even if I do that very rarely, or is that just a bad idea with the Canadian version of the Forester XT, and thus it makes no sense over-building it?

P

photosubieoverland

Here's my Subaru!
2016 Premium Outback.
2" LP Adventure Lift
LP Adventure 17" wheels
BFG KO2s - 24565R17
Yakima Load warrior basket and extension
ARB 2000 Awning with LED strip
Wilco Offroad swinging tire hitch with full size spare and 2x rotopax gas containers.
ARB air compressor under the hood and a CB radio setup.
I've added Rally Armor mud flaps since I've taken these photos, as well as a Nameless muffer delete.

Still have lots I want to do!

Attachments

P

photosubieoverland

I love passing the guys on the trails with the crazy built up rigs in my Subie. They have spent thousands of dollars on full locker packages for their Jeep or Toyota and I am going up the same trail they are in a station wagon with full open differentials. I can't do the rock crawling at OHV parks, but I haven't had much trouble in the region on trails that actually go anywhere. I had a bit of a learning curve to adapt to the CVT transmission and over-protective computer system. It really gets unhappy if you have a tire off the ground for longer than a few seconds, but deleting the rear sway bar and having disconnects for the front have helped that for the most part.
Was wondering about the sway bar. What do you do with the end links? Do you disconnect everything when you get to a trail head or before you head out?
I drive daily in the city and had installed a 20mm rear bar. Ive taken my outback off road, but never disconnected the sway bars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

How did you squeeze an ARB compressor under the hood?
I still can’t find where to mount a secondary fuse panel.
IDK about others, but I mounted my secondary fuse panel on top of the cover for the OEM fuse panel in the engine bay. Just be sure to keep your wires a bit loose so you can actually remove the OEM cover still. ;) Another good option is above the driverside shock tower or in the spare tire well.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Right now I’m acquiring ever but thinking of both those spots. The spare tire well is so tempting as I have BFG 245/65R17s so donut is useless and I can mount ever in there. However, I’m debating a drawer system which would make it a pain to get to If needed.
Where are you putting your secondary battery? Locate it close to that perhaps? If you don't know yet, under the hood is always good, it's just a PITA to run a bunch of 10ga. wire or whatever through the firewall grommet. Under the steering wheel would also do. I have my MPPT solar charger there, actually.

P

photosubieoverland

How did you squeeze an ARB compressor under the hood?
I still can’t find where to mount a secondary fuse panel.
Mounted it in the gap in front of the air intake box.
Mounted the relay below it. Its the smaller single.
I dont have a picture of it installed, but here's the area circled. I'll post a picture tomorrow.
For a secondary fuse panel I would just mount it to the stock one under the hood. I wired the compressor to the ignition.
20200516_204755.jpg

P

photosubieoverland

Right now I’m acquiring ever but thinking of both those spots. The spare tire well is so tempting as I have BFG 245/65R17s so donut is useless and I can mount ever in there. However, I’m debating a drawer system which would make it a pain to get to If needed.
Are you going to build a drawer setup or buy a complete one? Thats one thing I still want to do. I currently use my spare tire compartment for tools, compressor stuff, botle jack, and a tire storage bag when I'm not using it.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I wouldn’t think the spare tire well is the best place to put something that generates a lot of heat..

The question I’d have for anyone hard mounting, or wanting to hard mount, a compressor is how often do you use a compressor to warrant carrying it around 100% of the time. I have an automatic function Viair 400P that I carry around when I MIGHT need it. It, like my 2nd battery and a number of other items, is promptly removed when my Outback returns to daily driven duties.

Reactions: MiamiC70
P

photosubieoverland

I wouldn’t think the spare tire well is the best place to put something that generates a lot of heat..

The question I’d have for anyone hard mounting, or wanting to hard mount, a compressor is how often do you use a compressor to warrant carrying it around 100% of the time. I have an automatic function Viair 400P that I carry around when I MIGHT need it. It, like my 2nd battery and a number of other items, is promptly removed when my Outback returns to daily driven duties.
I had the room under the hood so hard mounting it was not a big deal. I air down my tires when I go out on trails so I use it the most when I get back to the pavement. It doesn't get to hot when in use, and when it does it has an auto shut off to prevent over heating, so installing it in the spare well is not a problem.

Other alternative to a air compressor would have been a co2 power tank.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I had the room under the hood so hard mounting it was not a big deal. I air down my tires when I go out on trails so I use it the most when I get back to the pavement. It doesn't get to hot when in use, and when it does it has an auto shut off to prevent over heating, so installing it in the spare well is not a problem.

Other alternative to a air compressor would have been a co2 power tank.
You sort of missed the point of my question. I fully understand WHY people use compressors but the question was how often. As I said I have one.. and they absolutely do get hot when in use. Generally speaking everything with an electric motor has thermal protection. In the case of ARB compressors it’s thermal cut out. Just because they have this doesn’t make it a good idea to purposely make it run hotter.

Don’t get me wrong. Mounting under the hood is a great use of unused space. The point I’m driving at is carrying around unneeded weight 100% of the time in a daily driven car. Not to mention needlessly exposing it to the elements which admittedly varies for different people. I carry a lot of gear all the time and would never include my compressor in that unless, as I said, I might need it. I see a lot of trend driven behavior in the ‘overlanding’ community but to each their own, I was simply asking a question. Weight is something I’m always encouraging Subaru people to shed because most people don’t consider how it adds up or the toll it takes.

P

photosubieoverland

You sort of missed the point of my question. I fully understand WHY people use compressors but the question was how often. As I said I have one.. and they absolutely do get hot when in use. Generally speaking everything with an electric motor has thermal protection. In the case of ARB compressors it’s thermal cut out. Just because they have this doesn’t make it a good idea to purposely make it run hotter.

Don’t get me wrong. Mounting under the hood is a great use of unused space. The point I’m driving at is carrying around unneeded weight 100% of the time in a daily driven car. Not to mention needlessly exposing it to the elements which admittedly varies for different people. I carry a lot of gear all the time and would never include my compressor in that unless, as I said, I might need it. I see a lot of trend driven behavior in the ‘overlanding’ community but to each their own, I was simply asking a question. Weight is something I’m always encouraging Subaru people to shed because most people don’t consider how it adds up or the toll it takes.
The main reason I wanted to mount it under the hood was for space and convenience. One of the reasons I've been holding off on a drawer/frig system is I want to find something light, affordable, and removable. I dont want to drive around with it all the time.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

If we're posting rig pics... I'll join in on the fun!

. . .

Rear bumper trimmed and no longer a scoop for mud, snow, and roadsalt... Not sure what to do about the front bumper cover? I think getting rid of the fog light housing and then moving the fogs inwards or onto a brush bar of some sort?

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

It’s funny (at least for me ) my car is the cleanest right after I buy it and the day I get it ready to go up for sale , there is something satisfying about getting all the little scratches out and making it shine . 7941026B-C002-47D5-8FA8-084F96EA12C6.jpeg