Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I added a National Luna 90L Twin fridge/freezer to the 4Runner. I need to run wiring directly from the battery to the rear of the vehicle for the fridge, air compressor, and 400W inverter. This is way bigger than I need, but the price was too good to turn down for a fridge/freezer that will last my lifetime!

Plus, we can have ice cream on the road!

19059512_1060929854036919_1965859281795662748_n.jpg

SAFETYRUNNER

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRHZ939
Okay this is the last batch of photos for a while. These have most of the gear in place, plus some overall vehicle shots. The MaxTrax aren't mounted yet, but that's where the pins will be located. I'm pleased with the layout, with plenty of room for storage on the rack. I need yo move the Overland Bound badge again, because it is behind the Gobi ladder.

View attachment 21937 View attachment 21938 View attachment 21939 View attachment 21940 View attachment 21941 View attachment 21942 View attachment 21943 View attachment 21944
Steve,

A question just came to mind as I drive around more in my 2016 T4R Trail and read about your build (I keep it bookmarked says the stalker).

I see you have stock Trail wheels and what appears to be stock sized BFG KO2s. I see rock sliders (mine from SSO are on order) but no apparent skid plates underneath up front to protect the silver plastic valance back to the first thin OEM skid plate. I've been doing some offroading with the same tires and am beating up this front area. I'm actually beating up a lot more (see this thread) and likely need more armor, but it is the front that has me thinking that Toyota should offer metal plating to replace the plastic.

How is the underside of your silver valance holding up? How about the black plastic piece just aft of that on the underside of the vehicle?

Ken

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

A question just came to mind
Ken,

My tires are one size wider than stock 275/70-17 BFG KO2 instead of the OEM 265/70-17, and are E rated tires.

I have no additional protection other than what Toyota decided was needed on the Trail model. My philosophy on most modifications is to run what was built on it until something breaks or shows an obvious need for upgrading. Plus, I've not had an opportunity to drive anywhere that will drag on the bottom of my 4Runner. So underneath has nothing more than some scratches from shrubs and other small vegetation I've run over.

I read your post on scraping up your valance. If you don't want to replace it with something similar to the SSO low profile bumper, I'd leave it alone or paint it with bed liner as suggested. Being on there protects the bumper underneath. I've seen the valance for sale on t4r.org from people putting on Slo bumpers if you want a newish looking one.

Toyota doesn't even put metal valances on the TRD Pro, likely because 95% of them never leave pavement, so it would be a water expense.

Stalk away! I appreciate the conversation,
Steve

SAFETYRUNNER

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRHZ939
Ken,

My tires are one size wider than stock 275/70-17 BFG KO2 instead of the OEM 265/70-17, and are E rated tires.

I have no additional protection other than what Toyota decided was needed on the Trail model. My philosophy on most modifications is to run what was built on it until something breaks or shows an obvious need for upgrading. Plus, I've not had an opportunity to drive anywhere that will drag on the bottom of my 4Runner. So underneath has nothing more than some scratches from shrubs and other small vegetation I've run over.

I read your post on scraping up your valance. If you don't want to replace it with something similar to the SSO low profile bumper, I'd leave it alone or paint it with bed liner as suggested. Being on there protects the bumper underneath. I've seen the valance for sale on t4r.org from people putting on Slo bumpers if you want a newish looking one.

Toyota doesn't even put metal valances on the TRD Pro, likely because 95% of them never leave pavement, so it would be a water expense.

Stalk away! I appreciate the conversation,
Steve
I like your approach. I went with stock size and C-rated tires for tread wear, ride quality and noise. Won't trade up to truck tires unless I find the 2-ply sidewalls inadequate. I think the 6-ply treads will do me just fine.

No way I buy another plastic valance. I'd rather put STP stickers on there, but then we digress to an earlier discussion.

Cheers, for those of us working, it's FriYay.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Steve

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

As far as your plastic valance's go - TJM has a new slider out for your new 4Runners that bolt to the frame. Even if you have that high dollar sway bar traction system on it.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

As far as your plastic valance's go - TJM has a new slider out for your new 4Runners that bolt to the frame. Even if you have that high dollar sway bar traction system on it.
Daryl,

Ken is referring to the silver painted front and rear valance on the Trail models. I already have the C4 rock sliders on my 4Runner, which fits around the KDSS, and other companies make KDSS version of rock sliders, too.

Reactions: Daryl 32

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Ok - I got that one wrong - TJM has a new front bumper also.

Anyway like what you are doing with both your rigs.

Reactions: Steve

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

@DRW'S Hi-Yo-Silver Aside from price (this was about $750 or half of the K2 rack I was considering) you forgot the biggest negative of the Gobi for those of us in the north. It would be an unsightly pile of rust inside two years with road salt and pre-spray that's used to excess on the roads. I'm long finished with having streaks from rusty water running down my vehicle. Reports on other forums have the Gobi rusting more than other steel brands.
Hey @Steve. I'm new to all of this and currently live in snowless but wet parts of CA. I also make a couple trips a year to Canada to visit family. Sounds like you've done a lot of research into the rust situation on Gobi racks and rusting. What is the difference between them and the ones you ended up with as far as handling road salt and pre-spray?

yahtzee

Rank I

Traveler III

This is a truck I'm very interested in building, especially since you've mentioned not upgrading the suspension. Looking forward to you getting off road this summer and telling us about the capability.