Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Steve can you still put the back seats up with the ice chest back?
Yes, and no.

If you look at last evenings post, you will see that I put in two sets of six tee-nuts on the bottom of the plywood platform. That way, I can remove six bolts, move the slide to one of the two positions, and put the bolts back in.

The frontmost position has the slide right up against the edge of the folded seat back. I cannot raise the seat not the upright position like this, as the setback hits the fridge before the setback engages the lock. But this position gives me about four extra inches of surface behind the slide.

The rearmost position has the rear 3/8" of the slide hanging over the plywood platform. In this position, the rear setbacks can be raised and used for passengers. Because of the incline of the setbacks, it allows about four inches of storage space between the front of the slide and the lower portion of the setback. Good for storing a sleeping pad, tent, etc. across there.

I prefer the frontmost position, as it allows more space at the back, and gets rid of the slight overhang of the slide and release button. We are taking two cars to Seattle, but we won't drive both through various stops along the way, such as the 36 mile gravel loop in Theodore Roosevelt National Park. So our daughter will need a seat to ride in back. I have the right rear seat bottom removed for extra floor space storage.

Now, if you had a smaller National Luna, or ARB, Yeti, etc, you wouldn't need the Jumbo Tembo Tusk Slide. The next smaller version is several inches shorter and narrower, so you wouldn't need to worry about whether the setback can be used for passengers.

Frontmost position, and then rearmost position:

IMG_3647-X3.jpg IMG_3653-X3.jpg

KevinE

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Saratoga Springs, Utah County, Utah, United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Escott
Member #

Seriously awesome build, I just purchased a 2015 Burnt Orange TRD Pro (got a great deal!!) and have already gotten ideas from you. Much appreciated.....I think I may start a thread similar to this and maybe I can catch up to where you are. I absolutely love the Baja Designs fogs, that may be my 2nd purchase!!!!! Thanks and keep them coming!!!!

Reactions: Steve

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

Why not get the National Luna Split Charger System? It looks great to me. And the Solar takes care of static days. Your main battery is new but a second battery takes all the concerns away.

Last edited:

Traveler I

San Antonio, TX
First Name
Eduardo
Last Name
MunFrat
I love this thread...ever since I joined Overland Bound, I've been keeping up with various builds, but this one made me put a For Sale sign on my R32 and start searching for a suitable rig...keep up the great work!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

KevinE

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Escott
Member #

Hey Steve, so I have been frantically reviewing potential mods for my new 4Runner and had a couple of questions in regards to what you have chosen.

1. I see that you went with 275-70-17s size tires but on a lot of the websites that I have looked at they list the max tire is 33", not sure how that translates to the size you have chosen or is they are actually one and the same?

2. You have said that you had not done any suspension but am curious as to where you go, mainly on road, fire roads, etc. I plan on doing the suspension but now am questioning that thought or at least postpone that mod till later.

I look forward to your replies (and help) !!!! :laughing::laughing:

Thanks again, you have given me some great ideas, I have already ordered the black out kit and am looking for a good deal with the fogs. I was never a huge fan of forums but reading yours I have rethought that and may start my own thread as this has been a big help....

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

Kevin, Certainly not trying to snag Steves thread but... I would second not doing a lift on a new T4R. Mine has the KDSS and it has done very well for me. Remember that a lift will not get your axel any higher unless you change to tires with taller sidewalls. And just how high would you go? If all you need is a couple of inches get some traction boards and save tons of money and keep that great ride that you will otherwise compromise .

KevinE

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Escott
Member #

Kevin, Certainly not trying to snag Steves thread but... I would second not doing a lift on a new T4R. Mine has the KDSS and it has done very well for me. Remember that a lift will not get your axel any higher unless you change to tires with taller sidewalls. And just how high would you go? If all you need is a couple of inches get some traction boards and save tons of money and keep that great ride that you will otherwise compromise .

Thanks for the input, I am trying to take everyones advise and then make a decision. I think in the beginning I will keep it stock and if I don't see any issues with it I wont do anything. I will change out the tires though with a higher sidewall so that should give me a bit more clearance.

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

Thanks for the input, I am trying to take everyones advise and then make a decision. I think in the beginning I will keep it stock and if I don't see any issues with it I wont do anything. I will change out the tires though with a higher sidewall so that should give me a bit more clearance.
Just to make sure I don't lead anyone astray I have the same tires that Steve has. They do not have a particularly tall sidewall but they have proven to be excellent tires. Also it was said in this thread that 33's are the largest size for the newer 4Runners but I am 99% sure they would rub badly! Be carful with tall tires without a lift.

Reactions: KevinE

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

For my G5 4R, I also went with the 275 tire size and switched the shocks to the Bilsteins, with the factory front coils, and Icon rear coils - not a true "lift", but did get a little height and much stiffer rear for supporting the weight of gear, etc.

Reactions: RAngone

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chicago | Western Suburbs
Member #

For my G5 4R, I also went with the 275 tire size and switched the shocks to the Bilsteins, with the factory front coils, and Icon rear coils
And I imagine your rig is now level as well. This seems like a good idea for supporting additional weight from gear and mods. I'll plan for this after all the bumper, rack and other kit goes on in order to get the suspension to match the weight. I also like the idea of reducing some of the brake dive.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

And I imagine your rig is now level as well. This seems like a good idea for supporting additional weight from gear and mods. I'll plan for this after all the bumper, rack and other kit goes on in order to get the suspension to match the weight. I also like the idea of reducing some of the brake dive.
Super level - the icons are a +250lb, so no sag even when i have a trailer hooked up. Drives AMAZING

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: RAngone

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

On this last cross-country trip, I had six Delorme Gazetteers with me for reference, and used them several times. Problem is, that they get bent up and slide around in back. Once home, I decided to get something to hold and protect them.

I ordered the Blue Ridge Overland Gear Trip Planning Bag (Links: [Black] [Coyote])

This is a nice addition to the stuff that lives in the truck. Padded, quality built, and reasonably priced at about $38. I keep it in the BROG 4Runner Attic, which is kinda fitting. It easily holds four or more DeLorme Gazetteers with room for a notebook, pencil, and scale for taking notes. And a space for some of my friends!

I just tested, and it will hold eight Gazetteers (normal thickness, not the California or Texas beasts) but it is quite tight. Six work okay, four work better.

A quick search will result in a 10% discount code. :smirk:

21032831_1107427272720510_1856562037468123740_n.jpg 20994158_1107427276053843_7049833730708042319_n.jpg

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Steve can you still put the back seats up with the ice chest back?
Let me revisit my reply to this question (above):

While I initially installed two sets of mounting T-nuts, and planned on using the frontmost position after dropping off my daughter, I decided over the rest of the two week return trip that I liked it in the rearmost position, and will leave it there all the time. This allows more versatility in seating, a little more room in front of the cooler for storage, and isn't in the way as I thought it might.

I hope that helps!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Last year I added a rear camera override from Brian at anytimebackupcamera.com. Yesterday I added the switch box and front camera. When I get the Hiker Trailer, I will add a third camera. It works great, but dizzying to watch while driving! ( Deb took the video)

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Today I installed an infrared repeater so that the switch box's IR remote would work. (I assumed it was RF, and buried it in the dash...) I put the receiver on the switch blank next to the 12V outlet in the dash, the sender on the switch box, and plugged it into the USB behind the dash. ( Note: I had previously moved the USB/Audio In receptacles in the dash behind their normal location and put a switch blank in its place. I use the audio in and USB for my Sirius Sportster radio.)

Amazon link: http://amzn.to/2vm46Lz

IR repeater.jpg

Reactions: YETI X

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Today I visited Conqueror 4X4 USA, and swapped my dead National Luna 90 Twin for a brand new one. I'm now good to go on keeping my food cold, and providing ice cream to weary travelers on the trail! :)

Reactions: YETI X