Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
If this reduces GMRS fees as well this just made it a lot more interesting for many in my group.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I didn't specifically look for that, will have to check it out tomorrow.
I read the leagaleze as best I could, but I thought I read it was referring me to some other document RE:GMRS.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I read the leagaleze as best I could, but I thought I read it was referring me to some other document RE:GMRS.
I have been trying to find out what that means as well... I have tried to search through the document but can’t find anything else at the moment... by the looks of it GMRS, Ship, and Aviation communications licenses are staying the same...

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I am no attorney but it appears that GMRS (as well as Maritime and Aviation) are also included in the $35 fee schedule.
The Wireless Telecommunication Bureau Fee Filing Guide that is referenced for GMRS/Maritime/aviation is only a reference for the forms needed to file for a license, renewal, modification, etc.
GMRS is noted multiple times as being included under the "Personal License" grouping as is amateur radio. The $35 fee schedule if for all personal licenses not just amateur radio.
1609431731522.png

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am no attorney but it appears that GMRS (as well as Maritime and Aviation) are also included in the $35 fee schedule.
The Wireless Telecommunication Bureau Fee Filing Guide that is referenced for GMRS/Maritime/aviation is only a reference for the forms needed to file for a license, renewal, modification, etc.
GMRS is noted multiple times as being included under the "Personal License" grouping as is amateur radio. The $35 fee schedule if for all personal licenses not just amateur radio.
View attachment 181793
That’s the way I take it as well.

There is talk amongst the ARES groups of this all getting redacted... they are trying to get both GMRS and Ham to be free... which will be great...

Kirk M.

Rank 0

Traveler I

Rancho Palos Verdes
First Name
kirk
Last Name
mills
I use a Ham with APRS to contact via text if I have no cell reception - Also great for folks at home to see where you were last at if you fail to return home or answer a call. I have a GMRS due to a lot of my group use it. I have 10 meter and cb as well. Multiple choices and redundant systems as I do off road alone quite often. I use the FTm-400xdr - Stryker SR-94HPC - and carry handheld units as well - baofeng and the FT3DR yaesu.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I use a Ham with APRS to contact via text if I have no cell reception - Also great for folks at home to see where you were last at if you fail to return home or answer a call. I have a GMRS due to a lot of my group use it. I have 10 meter and cb as well. Multiple choices and redundant systems as I do off road alone quite often. I use the FTm-400xdr - Stryker SR-94HPC - and carry handheld units as well - baofeng and the FT3DR yaesu.
I would love to know how to get going with APRS

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

The easy way to do it is to get a radio with it built in such as the Kenwood D710G or the Yaeus FTM-400.
However you can use almost any 2m radio wired to a TNC (Terminal Node Controller). Some TNCs just need a GPS antenna and they beacon your position without a display which can be referred to as a dummy tracker. APRS is more than just a way to tracker your vehicle.
Other TNCs allow displays so you can see the received beacons on a map, send messages and emails.
I run a Mobilinkd TNC as it bluetooths to my tablet so I don't have to run additional wires around the interior, the TNC resides with the radio. The drawback to this is that I have to have a phone or tablet bluetoothed to the TNC for it to work as it gets it's GPS info from the phone/tablet. Many of us already have tablets for nav so it's already there to use but for day to day use it's not as easy as a dummy tracket that just turns on/off with the vehicle and works.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@Dusther210
If you want one radio to do voice and APRS at the same time you have approx 3 choices, the two radios I previously mentioned as well as the Kenwood TM-V71A. Though it doesn't have APRS built in you can easily hook it up to a TNC and it will operate do both simultaneously. Most all other dual band radios can only do one or the other, you can transmit APRS and listen to another frequency (if it's a dual receive type radio) but as soon as you want to transmit on the frequency you are listening to the APRS will then beacon on that frequency as well so you have to stop the APRS before you can talk.
You will need to decide if you want one radio to do both at the same time relatively easy, one radio to do both at the same time kind of clunky, or two radios (one voice and one APRS) which will require mounting two radios and running/mounting two antennas. Which set up is worth your time and money.

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
@Dusther210
If you want one radio to do voice and APRS at the same time you have approx 3 choices, the two radios I previously mentioned as well as the Kenwood TM-V71A. Though it doesn't have APRS built in you can easily hook it up to a TNC and it will operate do both simultaneously. Most all other dual band radios can only do one or the other, you can transmit APRS and listen to another frequency (if it's a dual receive type radio) but as soon as you want to transmit on the frequency you are listening to the APRS will then beacon on that frequency as well so you have to stop the APRS before you can talk.
You will need to decide if you want one radio to do both at the same time relatively easy, one radio to do both at the same time kind of clunky, or two radios (one voice and one APRS) which will require mounting two radios and running/mounting two antennas. Which set up is worth your time and money.
You are the person to ask about APRS, the official APRS SME. Is it alright with you if I shoot you a message as to not hijack this thread? I have many questions I would like to ask you. Thank you so much for your responses!!

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@Dusther210
You are the person to ask about APRS, the official APRS SME. Is it alright with you if I shoot you a message as to not hijack this thread? I have many questions I would like to ask you. Thank you so much for your responses!!
I'm far from the official sme and you are more than welcome to message me but you might consider making your own theead on the subject as you will get a number of informative responses from other APRS users and most of us do things a little differently.
Either way I will reply with my take on it.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I use the same setup as @Prerunner1982 ... although there is another radio that will do APRS that Jon didn’t mention. The Icom IC-7100 will do APRS with a generic GPS antenna, although it doesn’t offer as good of a solution as the Yasue FT-400XDR.

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I use the same setup as @Prerunner1982 ... although there is another radio that will do APRS that Jon didn’t mention. The Icom IC-7100 will do APRS with a generic GPS antenna, although it doesn’t offer as good of a solution as the Yasue FT-400XDR.
Thanks! I'm surprised so many OB members are using APRS

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@M Rose are you sure it does APRS or are you thinking DPRS which uses the D-star network?
It does both but not easily... I thought like you it was just DPRS, but burrows in the advanced manual it tells how to use APRS, but you need to do some hardware mods to the radio itself.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks! I'm surprised so many OB members are using APRS
Why are you surprised, the features imbedded in APRS goes right along with Overlanding. I’m surprised more overlanders don’t have their technicians license just for APRS and WSPR modes. I’m still learning WSPR, but my understanding so far is it’s a low powered beacon signal contains your gps coordinates along with a small message... so I’m thinking (still researching the mode) it could be used as a week signal SoS beacon. I have put out a beacon on 7.045 MHz @ 2 watts and was heard as far away as Spain and Japan, but most importantly it was also picked up within 70 miles of my QTH. Now I only sent out a signal with my gps data as a beacon without any message attached other than calling CQ.

Kirk M.

Rank 0

Traveler I

Rancho Palos Verdes
First Name
kirk
Last Name
mills
Just surprised because not everyone has a ham license and I just expected even less to discover and then explore APRS
But I totally agree APRS and overlanding seems like a perfect match
There are the HT radios that have the ARPS also - the yaesu FT3DR is about 350.00 and does it- great for when you are hiking or on a motorcycle. still tracks and locates - and sometimes you are nowhere anyone would look unless they had your GPS location and a note saying "help". The battery will run down pretty fast when the gps and beacon are on - so turn off when not using and carry an extra battery or two! Youtube has some great instructional videos on how to set up and use APRS and sending text messages to phones - My buddy was out wheeling and one of the group rolled off a cliff - the aprs and ham radio got an air lift team there much faster that driving and looking for cell service would have. Just one of those things that shows it's worth when you least expect it.

Getting a license is pretty easy for the tech class- they have on line Video testing.
Even if you do not have a ham license- you can still have the radio in the car and it is legal to use in an emergency. For those that don't use ham - it is worthless unless you learn how to use it first -and program in repeaters and frequencies. I have area's I frequent and set up the repeaters in different banks in the radio - imperial valley - death valley - my local area - etc. then just set the radio to the area I am going -