Radio

• HTML tutorial

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

CB's are out there, but the noise floor is so high that it's often unusable. I find myself mostly using Ham, GMRS, or even FRS out there.

In fact my CB is so rarely used that it's in a box in the back of my drawer system (just in case) and the antenna is now connected to my AM/FM radio lol

Reactions: PapaPaul

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Many of us run a combination of radios, ham, GMRS, and CB in order of preference to be capable with anyone we come across.
Ham because it is the most capable, GMRS because it is catching on as a replacement for CB and is better than CB in everyway, and CB because people refuse to get away from their 1970s technology.

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
@TroutRunner Both. I keep a few FRS handhelds in the Jeep for spotting use and for handing out to the non licensed. But I also have HAM and GMRS handhelds.

I'm setup for HAM, GMRS and CB. The CB sits on the table in my garage 99 percent of the time but can be swapping into the spot I have my APRS setup if needed.

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

Those with GMRS radios, are you using the handheld type or a mobile version?
A Midland MXT275 - the radio body tucks away, with the display, speaker, and controls all on the mic. The only thing visible on the dash is an RJ45 jack pass-thru where I plug the mic in.

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
I dont have enough real estate in the jeep so I only use ham radio. GMRS is getting a lot more popular however.

Reactions: Downs

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I have a CB installed in my Sierra, and like them for weather if nothing else. I do still hear chatter, usually south of Pennsylvania. However I also keep 2 handheld GMRS radios in the truck as well. They also have weather monitoring, so if I want, I can keep the weather on one, and communicate with the other.

I dont run HAM because I just never have, dont know much about it, and havent been licensed, but as I understand it, it has the most range and clarity

South_Puget_Sound_OL

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roy, WA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pinick
Member #

I have a CB installed in my Sierra, and like them for weather if nothing else. I do still hear chatter, usually south of Pennsylvania. However I also keep 2 handheld GMRS radios in the truck as well. They also have weather monitoring, so if I want, I can keep the weather on one, and communicate with the other.

I dont run HAM because I just never have, dont know much about it, and havent been licensed, but as I understand it, it has the most range and clarity
I also run CB and 2 GMRS hand held. I've been looking at the HAM study guides. Don't really need HAM but my friends occasionally run with them so it might be nice to have.

Reactions: Downs

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Mobile CB, Ham, & GMRS mounted in the rig, (2)Handheld GMRS for spotters or those without radios on a trip, and a handheld dual band ham radio (used mainly in conjunction with the dual band Ham in the jeep for crossband repeat for emergency coms when we wander up a hiking trail

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

I don't run HAM because I just never have, don't know much about it, and haven't been licensed, but as I understand it, it has the most range and clarity
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Bought the Midland 275 GMRS, but recently re-found a Midland 77-235ESP CB. This model is over 40 years old I believe. My father bought it all those years ago at the West CES trade show here in Las Vegas. It is New in the Box (NIB), having never been installed. It is just a little bigger than my Uniden 520 XL (compact), so it should fit in it's place in the same location. The positive point's are it's weather channel ability, also it was one of their first models with their proprietary 'noise cancellation' feature (ESP 2). It also is digital, so it has a 'scan' mode.

My thought process is to leave it on the weather band, while having the GMRS on it's own frequency's band for communication. This would allow multi-monitoring without constant chatter over ride. It would also allow use with other CB users when necessary. I have a Ham hand held and a mobile unit, but being unlicensed at this time they are on the shelf waiting their turn to shine.

Being that 'COMPACT CHASSIS' construction is more the norm, now, I can utilize all 3 communication forms without overwhelming my dash space or cockpit area. So I will stand with those who prefer to keep multi forms of radio, at hand, for the ability to communicate with most of those around me. I also have 2 Motorola FRMS and 1 micro Cobra FRMS hand- held. Because as others have stated, for keeping them handy as cross communication devices with those who have not joined the GMRS club:hearteyes: I also do not see myself in a 30-50 rig convoy setting, so being spread out over a 15-20 mile area is unlikely. A 5-12 group is the size i am likely to be involved in for almost all likely meetups.

logo.png

PS: The recent LV group run looked like it had about 22 or so rigs participate. The posted comments were very positive, but I would have liked a little more meat. Say for example, how did the comms work between the leader and tail-gunner, how inter rig communication was, and distance between front and end, along with time constraints on start-ups from planned sight-seeing stops along the way. Just good knowledge to have if planning a run with others who might not have the necessary experience before running a trip in convoy.

PS-2: I have mounted my units off the passenger side of the console with WIDE pieces of VELCRO. This allows secure mounting, without drilling holes in my console. At one time someone tried to steal my CB, and I who had screwed them to the console had broken side skirts. The dealer did do a nationwide search for the color and trim oieces, it being hard to find (NOS). Hopefully less damage will be entailed if it is ever attempted again,

Last edited:

Lewis86

Rank III

Enthusiast II

North Augusta, SC, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

I appreciate the information, I have taken all in and made the decision to run both CB and GMRS for now. Maybe one day I will look into ham. For now just the other. Thanks the info and responses.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Stinkbug 867

Rank 0

Contributor III

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Shawn
Member #

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Bought the Midland 275 GMRS, but recently re-found a Midland 77-235ESP CB. This model is over 40 years old I believe. My father bought it all those years ago at the West CES trade show here in Las Vegas. It is New in the Box (NIB), having never been installed. It is just a little bigger than my Uniden 520 XL (compact), so it should fit in it's place in the same location. The positive point's are it's weather channel ability, also it was one of their first models with their proprietary 'noise cancellation' feature (ESP 2). It also is digital, so it has a 'scan' mode.

My thought process is to leave it on the weather band, while having the GMRS on it's own frequency's band for communication. This would allow multi-monitoring without constant chatter over ride. It would also allow use with other CB users when necessary. I have a Ham hand held and a mobile unit, but being unlicensed at this time they are on the shelf waiting their turn to shine.

Being that 'COMPACT CHASSIS' construction is more the norm, now, I can utilize all 3 communication forms without overwhelming my dash space or cockpit area. So I will stand with those who prefer to keep multi forms of radio, at hand, for the ability to communicate with most of those around me. I also have 2 Motorola FRMS and 1 micro Cobra FRMS hand- held. Because as others have stated, for keeping them handy as cross communication devices with those who have not joined the GMRS club:hearteyes: I also do not see myself in a 30-50 rig convoy setting, so being spread out over a 15-20 mile area is unlikely. A 5-12 group is the size i am likely to be involved in for almost all likely meetups.

View attachment 180652

PS: The recent LV group run looked like it had about 22 or so rigs participate. The posted comments were very positive, but I would have liked a little more meat. Say for example, how did the comms work between the leader and tail-gunner, how inter rig communication was, and distance between front and end, along with time constraints on start-ups from planned sight-seeing stops along the way. Just good knowledge to have if planning a run with others who might not have the necessary experience before running a trip in convoy.

PS-2: I have mounted my units off the passenger side of the console with WIDE pieces of VELCRO. This allows secure mounting, without drilling holes in my console. At one time someone tried to steal my CB, and I who had screwed them to the console had broken side skirts. The dealer did do a nationwide search for the color and trim oieces, it being hard to find (NOS). Hopefully less damage will be entailed if it is ever attempted again,
I agree I was on the run as well and felt there was very little chatter and would have liked more but I did not want to step on any toes. There was a lot of rigs that day lol

Reactions: Desert Runner

South_Puget_Sound_OL

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roy, WA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pinick
Member #

I appreciate the information, I have taken all in and made the decision to run both CB and GMRS for now. Maybe one day I will look into ham. For now just the other. Thanks the info and responses.
If you decide on GMRS I bought two BTECH dual band radios and they work great. I think $65 on Amazon. Licensing is cheap and easy, no test required and the licence covers your immediate family as well. I usually give one to the daughter and mine i program for weather and what ever channel we're running. Long lasting batteries. Had them for 4 years and still zero complaints.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
If you decide on GMRS I bought two BTECH dual band radios and they work great. I think $65 on Amazon. Licensing is cheap and easy, no test required and the licence covers your immediate family as well. I usually give one to the daughter and mine i program for weather and what ever channel we're running. Long lasting batteries. Had them for 4 years and still zero complaints.
Don’t say the license is cheap for GMRS because it isn’t when compared to Ham... ham is $15/person for life... a lot of clubs offer a discount for students (as in free) as well... GMRS is $65/10 years... so a family of 4 can get licensed for $30-60 for life that’s still $5-30 less than GMRS for 10 years...

Students include Grade School, College, and some Grad Schools (if the student is getting a degree in physics or electrical engineering).

Now don’t get me wrong... GMRS is great in the correct situation... if your group is running GMRS, the. By all means use it... 90% of the OB trips I have been on we have run ham... the other 10% was on FRS/CB... and when I say FRS I am talking Walmart blister packs.
Where you live Kevin you have several repeaters which also makes GMRS more advantageous to you, but head to the east side of your state and all the repeaters are private and far between... drop south into Oregon here on the east side GMRS doesn’t exist, but Ham repeaters are everywhere...

Reactions: LostInThought

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Don’t say the license is cheap for GMRS because it isn’t when compared to Ham... ham is $15/person for life... a lot of clubs offer a discount for students (as in free) as well... GMRS is $65/10 years... so a family of 4 can get licensed for $30-60 for life that’s still $5-30 less than GMRS for 10 years...
It's still pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things. 7 bucks a year. People blow more than that in one trip to a fast foot joint. Skip that trip to McDonalds once a year and you've paid for your whole family's licensing fee.

If the FCC has their way even HAM licenses won't be free. The ARRL hasn't updated since September so not sure what's going on with it.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It's still pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things. 7 bucks a year. People blow more than that in one trip to a fast foot joint. Skip that trip to McDonalds once a year and you've paid for your whole family's licensing fee.

If the FCC has their way even HAM licenses won't be free. The ARRL hasn't updated since September so not sure what's going on with it.

Correct I’m not sure either... the hearing was on Friday... so waiting on what the fcc imposes.