Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
When you guys say HAM, to what frequency range are you referring?

I originally set up my truck to chase for off road racing so I mounted a modded Icom ic-v8000 2m (VHF I think?) radio. Recently I picked up (3) BaoFeng BF-F8HP handhelds for out-of-truck communications. The BaoFeng are dual band (VHF and UHF) and a real bargain at $60 or so from BaoFeng Tech.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
A Ham license is free. Some clubs, like ARRL charge for the exam. Not all of them charge the fee. I’m with Laurel VEC and none of the affiliated clubs charge an exam fee.
Correct some clubs charge a fee... actually all ARRL sanctioned clubs charge a fee because the ARRL requires the fee.. I’m an ARRL VE.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Correct some clubs charge a fee... actually all ARRL sanctioned clubs charge a fee because the ARRL requires the fee.. I’m an ARRL VE.
I am an ARRL VE as well. Now please stop telling people that a Ham license costs $15. It does not. A ham license is free. Some clubs (but not all) charge a fee for the exam.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am an ARRL VE as well. Now please stop telling people that a Ham license costs $15. It does not. A ham license is free. Some clubs (but not all) charge a fee for the exam.
Yes correct the FCC doesn’t collect money (yet), but most clubs do charge money to administer the exam... the 2 clubs I VE for charge $15.00 and neither club keeps any of the monies collected for exams; all monies are sent to the ARRL along with the all the testing documents. I know one of the two clubs I am a member of is switching its sanctions away from the ARRL and then will be increasing its fees from $15.00 to $25.00 to cover the costs of new testing equipment. The second club I am affiliated with is considering stopping its VE sessions until the ARRL can submit the documents to the fcc in a timely manor and grant call signs quicker... (we had a guy test at the beginning of November still waiting for his call sign).

Bu the way, how do you wind a Toroid?

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

but most clubs do charge money to administer the exam...
Please stop telling people that a ham license costs $15. They do not. They are free. SOME (but not all) clubs charge a fee to administer the exam. I offered a link showing free exams across the country but you persist in pointing to the ARRL. ARRL is just another club. They have zero regulatory authority.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Please stop telling people that a ham license costs $15. They do not. They are free. SOME (but not all) clubs charge a fee to administer the exam. I offered a link showing free exams across the country but you persist in pointing to the ARRL. ARRL is just another club. They have zero regulatory authority.
My point through all of this... free or $15, or even 25 is still lest than $65.00 I use money in my statement for worst case scenario... so no I will not be using the national average of $15.00/ exam session... which is still way cheaper than the rest of the world... for instance Netherlands is charging $84 US/ Year, and they have to pay close to that to operate on CB frequencies, and they don’t have a GMRS band at all... so... like I said... I’ll stick to using the national average when comparing the cost of ham exam to GMRS.

Reactions: Downs

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I’ll stick to using the national average when comparing the cost
ARRL fees are not the national average. GLAARG has tested more people than ARRL this year and they only charge $10 for the online exam. W5YI charges $14 for the online exam. There are a lot of clubs that do the exam completely free. I'm sorry you have been given such bad data and even more sorry that you constantly repeat it.

Please stop quoting bad information. It hurts the hobby.

I'm out. Peace.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

I originally set up my truck to chase for off road racing so I mounted a modded Icom ic-v8000 2m (VHF I think?) radio. Recently I picked up (3) BaoFeng BF-F8HP handhelds for out-of-truck communications. The BaoFeng are dual band (VHF and UHF) and a real bargain at $60 or so from BaoFeng Tech.
When I say ham I’m speaking 2m/70cm... I don’t expect people to dive in as deep as I dive into the hobby. The official OB ham frequency is 146.460. The national calling frequency is 146.52 on 2m and 446.00 on 70cm.

Reactions: Downs

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
ARRL fees are not the national average. GLAARG has tested more people than ARRL this year and they only charge $10 for the online exam. W5YI charges $14 for the online exam. There are a lot of clubs that do the exam completely free. I'm sorry you have been given such bad data and even more sorry that you constantly repeat it.

Please stop quoting bad information. It hurts the hobby.

I'm out. Peace.
Today, 12/21/2020 there is are 2 free exams nationwide out of 60 to finish off the month of December... out of the 59 exams scheduled, there are 12 exams for $14, and 5 for $10.00. So take all the numbers do the tricky math and you come up with $13.86, round to the nearest $5.00 and you get $15... so I still stand by my national average of $15.00/ exam.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS

VHF/UHF 2m/70cm specifically, technicians have access to other spectrum but you'll find the 2m/7cm bands to be the mostly commonly used. You can google up a band plan.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
My point through all of this... free or $15, or even 25 is still lest than $65.00 I use money in my statement for worst case scenario... so no I will not be using the national average of $15.00/ exam session... which is still way cheaper than the rest of the world... for instance Netherlands is charging $84 US/ Year, and they have to pay close to that to operate on CB frequencies, and they don’t have a GMRS band at all... so... like I said... I’ll stick to using the national average when comparing the cost of ham exam to GMRS.
This is an interesting topic. For HAM, in Germany, we have to pay between 80 and 110 Euro exam fee plus 70 Euro for the admission to participation in the amateur radio service/ allocation of the callsign. In addition there is a yearly fee charged by the federal network agency. There are several preparation courses (online and presence) which are for free or cost little money (for example to support the organizing club). CB and PMR446 (a citizens radio service using UHF frequencies 446,000–446,200 MHz) require no payment of fees here.

Reactions: Downs and M Rose

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
This is an interesting topic. For HAM, in Germany, we have to pay between 80 and 110 Euro exam fee plus 70 Euro for the admission to participation in the amateur radio service/ allocation of the callsign. In addition there is a yearly fee charged by the federal network agency. There are several preparation courses (online and presence) which are for free or cost little money (for example to support the organizing club). CB and PMR446 (a citizens radio service using UHF frequencies 446,000–446,200 MHz) require no payment of fees here.
Doesn't PMR446 have repeater capability as well?

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Doesn't PMR446 have repeater capability as well?
I did not inform me in detail about it and do not use PMR446, but I know that there are some Gateways in use here (basically working like Echolink in HAM via the internet). PMR 446 is restricted to 0,5 Watts here and the radios are mainly handhelds, so not really interesting for me. I guess its comparable with the FRS in the US, right?!

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I did not inform me in detail about it and do not use PMR446, but I know that there are some Gateways in use here (basically working like Echolink in HAM via the internet). PMR 446 is restricted to 0,5 Watts here and the radios are mainly handhelds, so not really interesting for me. I guess its comparable with the FRS in the US, right?!
Probably very similar usage.

I had to re look it up but it was Aussie UHF CB not PMR that has repeaters. They have a pretty impressive CB service. 80 Channels, about 30ish of them are repeater inputs/outputs. Max power 5 watts.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Don’t say the license is cheap for GMRS because it isn’t when compared to Ham... ham is $15/person for life...
Guess the newly implemented $35 fee for ham license (renewals, vanity call application, etc) nullifies this argument, unfortunately.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

So it is actually implemented and reduced?

• Sad
Reactions: LostInThought

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well, looks like I’m done in 9 years, and never making Extra Class...