Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I have Byrna pistol. I do think it's necessary to have a non-lethal option, since they no longer let you use lethal force to protect your property.  Someone can literally be beating your truck with a baseball bat, and if you're not in it at the time, you can't use lethal force. For self-defense there is no substitute for a firearm. If your circumstances don't allow you to own a gun, I would look at the AR-15 version of a pepper ball gun. They shoot solid kinetic rounds also.
My state is a 'Stand your ground' state, as are I believe 28 others. It's those states that are not or Federal Lands.. I looked at the Byrna and liked the HDR50 for velocity and pricing mainly. Both are pretty darn close in performance. Not sure if the build's are the same as the HDR50 (or 68), but liking those as well. Plenty of choices for projectiles! Umarex also has a pretty nice carbine.

Really looking for something to replace my .45acp on travels.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
since they no longer let you use lethal force to protect your property. 
Someone can literally be beating your truck with a baseball bat, and if you're not in it at the time, you can't use lethal force.
Honest question, why would you want to?
If there is a very real threat of physical injury or death, lethal force seems justified as a means of defense, and virtually all states seem to agree on that.
But, why would anyone deserve to die because damage was done to an object I've paid for?

How would we legally determine what action warrants lethal intervention?

Is there a $$$ that should be met as a threshold for if it is justified? Would that become the de facto value of a human life?
How do you account for vehicle value? A man bashing in the windshield of a jeep will likely create less financial burden than someone who keys a McLaren.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Honest question, why would you want to?
If there is a very real threat of physical injury or death, lethal force seems justified as a means of defense, and virtually all states seem to agree on that.
But, why would anyone deserve to die because damage was done to an object I've paid for?

How would we legally determine what action warrants lethal intervention?

Is there a $$$ that should be met as a threshold for if it is justified? Would that become the de facto value of a human life?
How do you account for vehicle value? A man bashing in the windshield of a jeep will likely create less financial burden than someone who keys a McLaren.
This is not the place for debate and exactly what I did not wish to see start. Please refrain!

Reactions: Kelly

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
This is not the place for debate and exactly what I did not wish to see start. Please refrain!
Hey bud!
I get the concern about debate and wanting things not to devolve into mud-slinging, name calling, become politicized, etc.
I promise, I sincerely was asking from a place of genuine curiosity and desire to learn.
I know everyone here has different experiences and I was hoping to hear how some of those experiences shaped their decision making.
Cheers!

Reactions: RJ Howell

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Most everything is a "less than lethal" weapon if you use it as such, similarly most everything is a "lethal weapon" if you apply it with adequate vigor.

I carry bear spray for bears and slow learners and while you're trying to get that shit out of your eyes I'm going to make sure you need a wheel chair for about the next 16 months and walk with a permanent limp. The force continuum from there trends lethal.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

If you choose a less than lethal weapon that LOOKS like a firearm, expect your adversary may respond with a REAL firearm.
I believe that our best defense is our intelligence. Use words to de-escalate the situation and then create distance, preferably measured in miles. If you travel with family or other companions, this should be a conversation you have before you even depart on your trip.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Really hope for some real info here. I hope not to begin a debate if you should carry, yet those that do, can place some advise on what and what they use. What's your every trip carry?

I'll start with I have a baton, a bat, a walking stick (1.5 ash).

I'm seriously considering a Umarex HDR 50.
This guy killed this couple and buried them on the beach where they were camping in South Texas. If you are legally able, please consider getting some training and purchasing a firearm.

Attachments

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

This guy killed this couple and buried them on the beach where they were camping in South Texas. If you are legally able, please consider getting some training and purchasing a firearm.
That is one of many reports out there. I agree with getting trained, nothing like knowing how if required. I have non-lethal rounds for my .45, yet it's a firearm and illegal in several states and most federal lands.Where as the Umarex (or others like) is legal. With projectiles like 'stinks like hell' to 'hurts like hell' I see it as a good determent.

Reactions: Kelly and AggieOE

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

If you choose a less than lethal weapon that LOOKS like a firearm, expect your adversary may respond with a REAL firearm.
I believe that our best defense is our intelligence. Use words to de-escalate the situation and then create distance, preferably measured in miles. If you travel with family or other companions, this should be a conversation you have before you even depart on your trip.
There is a distance rule that changes from words to action being required. Once that is crossed, is is no other choice. As Kelley is adamant about and I agree, training! I have lethal & non lethal rounds for my .45. My proposed option to replace has the power to hurt and give opportunity for secondary action. What that is depends on the situation a hand and that can very well be distance. You need the options!

Oh ya, my carry is not a discussion. My protection of myself and those around me is not either.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Don't use wasp spray. It's been reformulated since they found out that field techs were using it for defense.

Use bear spray and a knife.

I carry a Glock 23.4. And keep an Ar15 and shotgun nearby. In the camper if so equipped.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

My honest-to-goodness truthful things I always carry with me (albeit cliche) are a gut check and fearful anger. I have a hard time 100% believing that I can rely on my ability to grab my preferred choice of defense and use it effectively. My dad was an officer and headed up a crime scene investigation unit for decades and told me people can often be found within inches or feet of their tool of choice.

Although it isn't always as fun, I will gladly leave an area if I feel even slightly uneasy. There's no sleep being had if you have no peace. This has meant finding a new or different hotel for the night sometimes when camping or leaving early from events that don't have a predictable pleasant future. It may make for an unhappy wife or family but it hopefully makes for one you get to see the next day.
Also, as I now have a kid and wife and a future with them I'm terrified to lose, I think anything in grabbing range can be a deadly weapon.
That being said, I usually travel armed and train often enough.

Also.... don't do road rage (I keep telling myself). @grubworm is hitting the nail on the head with how quickly stupid people can ruin it for everyone.

OverlandEasternCT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklin, Connecticut
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Novosad
Member #

Service Branch
EMS
Couple things I feel that are important that aren’t being said here. 1 there’s no such thing as non lethal. The proper term is less lethal because there is always that slim chance that it does become fatal when in use. The other huge thing is it honestly depends on state to state laws of what’s allowed and what’s not. Example in the state of Connecticut you can own and use a taser for self defense within your own home, however you cannot carry it out anywhere but there. Bear spray can be considered to be a felony if used on a person in some states because it’s concentration and potency. As for anything else, generally speaking using blunt force or a knife of any kind weirdly enough be very difficult to articulate self defense in court. Granted each case is different, these are very important things to note when deciding how you’ll defend yourself and family in a potentially undesirable situation. Less lethals are hard because without lack of training and discernment when to use vs when to use lethal. There are not great options. Best I can say is look into the laws of the states you’re planning on traveling to, and plan accordingly. Take some classes.