Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Ahh thanks for the link for the correct one.
It's still not the correct one for the tank in question. I'll say it again but the Worthington and Manchester 5lb tanks are not the same diameter.

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

This little adapter will allow you to fill the disposable tanks

http://a.co/d/6qbKrgf

I plan to pick one of these up eventually
Heh - I recycle the ones I find in the woods - came in handy last year when we were out of power for a week after the hurricane and I only had 1 20# propane tank with any propane in it at ALL (partly because I'd filled a bunch of 1# ones before the storm).

I was giving them to friends and telling them not to pitch them, but bring them back for refilling.

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

The filler I bought says that it has a built in cutoff - and it does cut off. I don't know for sure how safe it is ultimately - I put a mark on the tanks I pick up and only refill them if: A) I can see it looks to be in really good shape (or I bought it new) and B) if I haven't refilled it more than 3 times.

I can use the filler to drain any residual propane out of the tanks too; wish I had one to flush them with so you could safely repurpose the cylinder for something else.

tenebs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Margy
Last Name
Green
Member #

I used the Powertank 5lb propane bracket mounted to the rear of my roof rack. Welcome to the 5lb tank club. It is the perfect size for camping and cheap to fill up.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

How come liquid-fuel burners are not more popular?

I had a Coleman single-burner in the past that was great, and now have a dual-burner that is even better. On medium heat with one burner (stir fry meals, eggs, etc), I am looking at about 8 hours or more of cook time on one fill. That is perhaps a week on a single tank of fuel, which is also about $0.75 in gasoline. And, if I am going out that long, I already have jerry cans with me, so that is one less thing I need to carry or stock.

Am I missing something?

Reactions: MOAK

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

I have 2 white gas only dual burner coleman stoves (one is about 50 years old, works like a charm with regular maintenance) and a dual-fuel single burner. I used a single burner coleman 'white gas' stove for over 25 years before buying the dual fuel.

I don't like carrying the white gas, it can be hard to find, and totally hate burning regular gasoline. The regular gasoline smell while burning is my reason for not using it.

The PITA filling tanks, leaks developing over time, and having my original one develop leaks and burst into flames led me to not using them for backpacking - along with weight. For backpacking now, I use an alcohol stove or a twig burner or just a campfire - depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing while traveling.

For 'most everything else, ("Camping" in my popup or "Overlanding") once I went to propane (there was one in my Aliner when I bought it), I realized that propane was much simpler, cleaner, and seems a lot safer.

Propane also works better for large groups - I don't think I could do a low country boil for 10 people on a coleman like I can my big 2-burner propane one. The burner just isn't big enough.

Propane runs the heater and Dometic fridge in my camper too - though that's not an overlanding thing, particularly. It would run the on-demand water heater I have at our beach house if I wanted, I guess. Wish I'd had that up here during the hurricane power outages last week....

That's purely my opinion - I expect others have different ones, and am not suggesting what I like is what you should like :)

Reactions: Lindenwood

ADVchef

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cedar Hill, TX
Member #

How come liquid-fuel burners are not more popular?

I had a Coleman single-burner in the past that was great, and now have a dual-burner that is even better. On medium heat with one burner (stir fry meals, eggs, etc), I am looking at about 8 hours or more of cook time on one fill. That is perhaps a week on a single tank of fuel, which is also about $0.75 in gasoline. And, if I am going out that long, I already have jerry cans with me, so that is one less thing I need to carry or stock.

Am I missing something?
Well I can honestly say I have tried just about every burner on the market. Granted my setup is a little more elaborate but the main reason is the burners, stoves, ovens, heaters, showers and other items almost all require LP Gas. They can all drink from the same source. That's probably why the use of white gas or unleaded is not as popular. I do have a single multi gas burner that I have used on the KTM when camping off the bike. It works fine with single skillet application however when I carry my backpacker oven (below) the burner sits directly under the oven and would encloses it and I don't want to heat the gas. I never use the two burner stoves that are typically seen today either, I like a better control over the heat that you don't get with white/ unleaded gas or LP gas. I use butane burners. Much better control of over the heat. I have an overkill setup but sometimes I use 4 butane burners with the grill and a flattop. I usually end up cooking for the group anyway. Yea I know overkill I do most things like that. But hey everyone likes a fresh ground pour over in the AM. Yeah, I have been known to grind my own coffee beans when camping.

oven 2.jpg

SLPNBG

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mechanicsville, Va
Member #

I use this. It allows me to run a lantern on top and two auxiliary hoses, one for the stove and one for the grill. I try to cook over the fire when i can.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
They seem to be a perfect fit, but no base 'tie-in' except the can next to it and the small rail lip. So that setup only relies on a strap to secure it.to the rack. I see that you carry 5 water and 1 fuel, and that is a lot of weight high-up. Have you found instability concerns either on road with a emergency avoidance, or top-heavy instability in off-road/off-camber situations? Being above the bed rail, wouldn't it be better to put them right below in the bed, and use that vacated space for lighter equipment?
Note: I realize this is not as high as putting them on a roof rack(fuel/water) but physics still come into play.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I have 5 lb. propane tanks on the front of 2 trailers. One trailer is nearing completion and the other I've just started. On my current set up, I use a variety of "T's", trees and hoses plus a gauge to know how low I'm getting. I also bring along a few small green tanks though for lanterns.

EXP95.JPG 18-10-14 1.JPG

Reactions: Desert Runner

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

They seem to be a perfect fit, but no base 'tie-in' except the can next to it and the small rail lip. So that setup only relies on a strap to secure it.to the rack. I see that you carry 5 water and 1 fuel, and that is a lot of weight high-up. Have you found instability concerns either on road with a emergency avoidance, or top-heavy instability in off-road/off-camber situations? Being above the bed rail, wouldn't it be better to put them right below in the bed, and use that vacated space for lighter equipment?
Note: I realize this is not as high as putting them on a roof rack(fuel/water) but physics still come into play.
FYI Im a X not a frontier, so no bed, and the interior is for things I need often and want to avoid getting weathered.

I do run a strap thru the handles and secure it to the gobi when traveling. As for weight. Its @110lbs. My empty rooftop tent weights more than that. When fully rigged up, yes you feel it. Is it a concern? Off chamber maybe, 99% of the time, no. Heck the gobi rack weights more than the full cans come to think of it. I still do have the ability to add a 2nd row of the cans as mentioned in the original post, I have more than enough cans to do it. Add 10gallons on the rear bumper, and 3gallons underneath where the spare use to reside. With a single row as shown if all fuel, that is 28 gallons. typically I carry @50/50 fuel and water. This setup you see would make 12.5 gallons water, then 15.5 gallons of fuel. 95% of the time I go out, I only need a 5gallon water and a 5gallon fuel on the bumper. I keep the 5lb propane on rack with the mount shown earlier, and a medium plano 1719 case up there next to it. Fits like a glove in the recessed area of the Xterra gobi racks. Again all secured. I just don't show the rigging in the photos. For the Plano cases, I like using Raingler nets. Have vehicle specific nets to hold spare JIC cold weather and wet weather gear that stays in the rig all year since its space that is never used for anything else. And a variaty of universal nets on the roof etc.

Here was the previous setup of rotopax... which I am not a fan of. First, the delivered fuel spouts are garbage, so you need to spend $10 more to get a decent spout, they need to burped often and will still bulge like the blueberry girl from the old Wonka movie, the mounts are stupid expensive and the cans even more so, people complain about the price of USGI or other mil spec cans but then buy rotopax.... which cost more and carry less??? Anyways, they do have great customer service and are local, but I would opt for sceptre cans personally. But the rotopax were lower profile but carried half the liquid, again for more money.

Typical load out next to a nice FJ similar equipped.

Heres my rotopax complaint part. When you buy your bumper, carrying fuel and water is one of the things most look for just like moving the spare to the rear if it is not already there (like the X). For my cans, the water can be had at buyLCI for $24. Fuel cans can be hard to find and cost a bit more, but I just found one for $99.50 on ebay (I did pay less but had to go thru a bit of a hassle to get them), $19 for the fuel spout, and a $5 ratchet strap to secure them. So when I spec'ed my bumper I opted for these can mounts. It cost about $200 to add these mounts when I ordered the bumper. To do rotopax mounts shrockwroks charge @220 including mounts and extensions to hold 4 cans total (the also sell cans but not at a discount). Dual 2gallon rotopax cost 160, add 20 for the spouts, dual 2gallon water cost $100. Total for each setup would be 200+100+24+19+5= 348 for mil cans. OR 220+160+100+20= 510 for rotopax... Yeah right, but we (USGI guys) are still carrying 1 gallon extra fuel and water and its typically a great deal cheaper. But sometimes you can buy the rotopax "blem" units for a great price.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We have never used the disposable containers. Such a waste, and what to do with the empties? As far as refilling them? They were not designed to be re-filled and I'd consider them to be dangerous once emptied then re-filled. Our back packing stove uses either ethanol free gasoline, or coleman fluid using MSR containers and pressure pump. Our basecamp stove is a Coleman using the same fuels. We carry a squatty 2.5 gallon propane tank up top for our tent heater and shower. DSC00348.jpg 41R5-aXEBLL._AC_US218_.jpg

Attachments

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Welcome to the club. I got to a point and I just couldn’t stand using them or seeing them thrown in the woods anymore. I have a custom tank holder held in place by a Fourtreks mount. Old pictures but you can see it well enough.

View attachment 65832 View attachment 65833
I like this setup. Seems to be what they use in Africa/Australia, along with many here in the States. That pictured aluminum storage cradle is sweet, but as stated, wickedly expensive ($100-range). Ad in the clamps, and bottle, and Your pushing $300.00

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I like this setup. Seems to be what they use in Africa/Australia, along with many here in the States. That pictured aluminum storage cradle is sweet, but as stated, wickedly expensive ($100-range). Ad in the claps, and bottle, and Your pushing $300.00
Unfortunately when nobody makes what you need your options are limited. I bought the cradle for $105, the Fourtreks mount for $54, and the bottle for $60. I don’t think that’s bad at all, especially when you consider you’re buying the bottle regardless. I could have done it without the Fourtreks mount but I wanted the cradle to be easily removable and I trust Fourtreks to hold a number of things in place on my rack. It’s custom, exactly what I wanted, and it safely/securely does the job.

FYI Im a X not a frontier, so no bed, and the interior is for things I need often and want to avoid getting weathered.

I do run a strap thru the handles and secure it to the gobi when traveling. As for weight. Its @110lbs. My empty rooftop tent weights more than that. When fully rigged up, yes you feel it. Is it a concern? Off chamber maybe, 99% of the time, no. Heck the gobi rack weights more than the full cans come to think of it. I still do have the ability to add a 2nd row of the cans as mentioned in the original post, I have more than enough cans to do it. Add 10gallons on the rear bumper, and 3gallons underneath where the spare use to reside. With a single row as shown if all fuel, that is 28 gallons. typically I carry @50/50 fuel and water. This setup you see would make 12.5 gallons water, then 15.5 gallons of fuel. 95% of the time I go out, I only need a 5gallon water and a 5gallon fuel on the bumper. I keep the 5lb propane on rack with the mount shown earlier, and a medium plano 1719 case up there next to it. Fits like a glove in the recessed area of the Xterra gobi racks. Again all secured. I just don't show the rigging in the photos. For the Plano cases, I like using Raingler nets. Have vehicle specific nets to hold spare JIC cold weather and wet weather gear that stays in the rig all year since its space that is never used for anything else. And a variaty of universal nets on the roof etc.

Here was the previous setup of rotopax... which I am not a fan of. First, the delivered fuel spouts are garbage, so you need to spend $10 more to get a decent spout, they need to burped often and will still bulge like the blueberry girl from the old Wonka movie, the mounts are stupid expensive and the cans even more so, people complain about the price of USGI or other mil spec cans but then buy rotopax.... which cost more and carry less??? Anyways, they do have great customer service and are local, but I would opt for sceptre cans personally. But the rotopax were lower profile but carried half the liquid, again for more money.

Typical load out next to a nice FJ similar equipped.

Heres my rotopax complaint part. When you buy your bumper, carrying fuel and water is one of the things most look for just like moving the spare to the rear if it is not already there (like the X). For my cans, the water can be had at buyLCI for $24. Fuel cans can be hard to find and cost a bit more, but I just found one for $99.50 on ebay (I did pay less but had to go thru a bit of a hassle to get them), $19 for the fuel spout, and a $5 ratchet strap to secure them. So when I spec'ed my bumper I opted for these can mounts. It cost about $200 to add these mounts when I ordered the bumper. To do rotopax mounts shrockwroks charge @220 including mounts and extensions to hold 4 cans total (the also sell cans but not at a discount). Dual 2gallon rotopax cost 160, add 20 for the spouts, dual 2gallon water cost $100. Total for each setup would be 200+100+24+19+5= 348 for mil cans. OR 220+160+100+20= 510 for rotopax... Yeah right, but we (USGI guys) are still carrying 1 gallon extra fuel and water and its typically a great deal cheaper. But sometimes you can buy the rotopax "blem" units for a great price.
Nice setup on your X! I’m a Nissan guy and always loved them.

When it comes to anything people add to a vehicle I like to believe it’s a well thought out process (often not...) and what works for for one, may not for another. When I was planning my Subaru I needed lower profile. I can thankfully say I didn’t pay anywhere near those prices for new unblemished Rotopax but I was super patient with assembling everything I needed. Group buys, Amazon, and random deals out of their EBay store saved me a ridiculous amount of money.

Reactions: Desert Runner