Investor

Enthusiast I

Harlem, Georgia
First Name
Lee
Last Name
McFatridge
Member #

Also, if you want to go a cheap route until you decide on what to do...you can use those square "milk carton" containers and the tank will sit inside it very snug. Then you have a wider base and also another anchor point to connect to. Then when you find or make a better "mousetrap" you can always loose the container and you aren't out anything.

Attachments

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Also, if you want to go a cheap route until you decide on what to do...you can use those square "milk carton" containers and the tank will sit inside it very snug. Then you have a wider base and also another anchor point to connect to. Then when you find or make a better "mousetrap" you can always loose the container and you aren't out anything.
That’s my kind of setup right there lol

Reactions: wearethestones

makya

Rank 0

Traveler I

Kamps propane sells 1 lb refillable bottles for 13.99 and you can exchange an empty one for a full bottle, or have it refilled for 1.99. They're called little kamper bottles. They have a small bleeder valve for refilling, and the main valve doesn't have the potential to leak after refilling like the disposables do.

There's also a brand called flame king that has 1 lb. refillable, just make sure they were made after 2016, because they had a recall.

Nef

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Malave
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC2UD
IMG_20181204_160035.jpg I spent some time and gas driving around looking for an 11lbs tank. Marine supply has the Marine ones that are well over $100, so that was a non starter, the cheapest I found an 11 was $53 so more than double the price of a 20..., I was avoiding the 20 due to space constraints. I found that tractor supply stocks the 11 but the squat which has the same footprint of the 20. In the end had to do some major rearranging and got a 20. Got the hose adapter for my Coleman stove. It is what it is.

Dennis Stanley

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kansas City, MO, USA
Member #

Hi all, here is another option for refilling the 1 lb tanks. It works really well and is DOT approved.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07F9LCYRT?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title
The secret to refilling the lil 1LBs, is that you need to ensure they are completely empty, then put them in the freezer for about an hour, this allows the LPG to except the smaller tanks better. You CAN use the non-refillable bottle in the exact same way with the adapter mentioned in another post, but it is ILLEGAL to transport them. I would stick with the 5lbs and/or the Flame Kings, as those are completely legal to fill and transport.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I was going to get the FlameKing until I realized just how little I use propane. I don't run a heater and only carry my Weber Q occasionally. Cooking is done (depending which vehicle I'm in) on either a butane burner (in the van even though it has a two burner cooktop) or a little MSR Superfly in the LX. Cooking for me is boiling water. I don't like making a big deal of camp food.

Dennis Stanley

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kansas City, MO, USA
Member #

I was going to get the FlameKing until I realized just how little I use propane. I don't run a heater and only carry my Weber Q occasionally. Cooking is done (depending which vehicle I'm in) on either a butane burner (in the van even though it has a two burner cooktop) or a little MSR Superfly in the LX. Cooking for me is boiling water. I don't like making a big deal of camp food.
Single Burner MSR cook stove for me too, I was used to camping on my bike and packing super light. As I build the truck up, I will maintain that mindset, just because you have the room to pack your living room, does not mean you should (IMHO). But, will be nice not to be in a tent, damn I must be getting old!!!!!!

I do use the 1LBs bottles for my lil buddy heater, so I will pick up a few Flame King bottles, so I can stop riding dirty with the "Non refillable bottles"

Last edited:
Reactions: CSG and sabjku

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I use about two of the little green bottles a year. The problem I have with propane in the LX is that if I got a 5 or 20# tank, I'd have to mount it outside and I don't do "built" rigs, meaning, it's stock without racks or bumpers where I could carry a tank. No need for my type of travels and what sort of offroading I do and I'm way too old to modify something for the "cool" factor. :wink:

Last edited:

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
I have purchased 3 different 5lb tanks over the years, and have always had trouble with people filling it and the safety valve sticking closed. I eventually gave up and bought an adapter to refill the 1lb bottles. Never had an issue with them.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I have purchased 3 different 5lb tanks over the years, and have always had trouble with people filling it and the safety valve sticking closed. I eventually gave up and bought an adapter to refill the 1lb bottles. Never had an issue with them.
Sorry to hear that. I just had mine refilled again last week and have never had an issue.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

On second picture right at the left mid corner you have rubber traps. what is size ? and where did you buy them?

Welcome to the club. I got to a point and I just couldn’t stand using them or seeing them thrown in the woods anymore. I have a custom tank holder held in place by a Fourtreks mount. Old pictures but you can see it well enough.

View attachment 65833

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
On second picture right at the left mid corner you have rubber traps. what is size ? and where did you buy them?
All of the rubber pieces came with the mount but had to be trimmed and/or repositioned. That worked out well because the excess edge guard that is in contact with the sides of the tank was repurposed on the bottom edge of the tank so that when you lock it in place with the cleat I added it makes no noise at all. Protective door edge trim like this would do the trick.

Sholer 32ft (10m) Car Door Edge Guards U-Shaped Car Protected Lining Trim Molding Rubber Sealing Strip
33768879-521D-4FCE-9CF1-6C742028BF3E.jpeg

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Sorry I was asking about rubber strap it's rounded and bolter to your rack take look your picture in my OP .

[ QUOTE="Wawa Skittletits, post: 304221, member: 4450"]All of the rubber pieces came with the mount but had to be trimmed and/or repositioned. That worked out well because the excess edge guard that is in contact with the sides of the tank was repurposed on the bottom edge of the tank so that when you lock it in place with the cleat I added it makes no noise at all. Protective door edge trim like this would do the trick.

Sholer 32ft (10m) Car Door Edge Guards U-Shaped Car Protected Lining Trim Molding Rubber Sealing Strip
View attachment 86492[/QUOTE]

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Are you referring to the Quick Fists @phlfly? They’re the original size and I’ve bought them on Amazon.

_jimmysbrotherrr

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Rafael
Last Name
Jimenez
Member #

The powertank bottle is this one...

5lb model https://www.camperid.com/power-tank/propane-tank-bracket-mpn-bkt-2285.html?view=575041
10lb model https://www.camperid.com/power-tank/propane-tank-bracket-mpn-bkt-2286.html?view=188523&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Of3lOir3QIVgbbACh1JDwQhEAQYAyABEgIbjfD_BwE

I have the 5lb, and its nice. The clamp it metal on metal with a slottel nut so if you overtighten it, it will go to hell in a hand basket fast. My girl help me pack back up and did this for me, thats how I know, power tank gave me a free replacement band, and I swapped the nut to a nylock nut I replace every few trips for like $0.05.

The mount is stupid expensive, but so is the clamps (also did fourtreks clamps) since mine was custom since I drive and Xterra and no one makes anything for an X I had to drill my own holes for the application. Used grade 8 SAE hardware, its not going anywhere. With the longer hose I had built at evco house of hose. I dont even remove the tank when camping anymore. Just plumb to it to the 22" Partner steel stove. I know I have a photo showing the tank and 4 cans, just cant find it right now. Sorry. But you get the idea.

I found I can use the 5lb tank and 4 2.5G (10L) runt cans on the lower portion of the X Gobi rack at the same time. (or 6 runt cans only) couple this with a second row of runt cans on the incline which fit like a glove with the Tepui Autana Ruggedized on, and 2 5gallon (20L) mil cans on the maxterra rear bumper, I have enough to do almost anything I would need ever include bugging out. I have 6 runt water cans, 6 runt fuel cans, and a dozen 20L fuel and water cans. I really like the runt cans as they just barely clear the rack where the 20L stick up big time up there. I use to keep a set a 4gallon rotopax up there, but I like the mil cans alot more for dozens of reasons. They are just harder to find. but cost about the same if not less that rotopax.

Where did you purchase your fuel cans?