Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Welcome to the club. I got to a point and I just couldn’t stand using them or seeing them thrown in the woods anymore. I have a custom tank holder held in place by a Fourtreks mount. Old pictures but you can see it well enough.

822341C9-4CD9-4EDB-A570-4E5A0E4C7F3B.jpeg 96F3D4F2-23BC-4184-A2F3-43D23589978A.jpeg

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

With that adapter, how do you know when it’s full? Does it just stop filling? Or do you weigh it out and compare it to a full one?
The description reads "BUILT-IN SAFETY FEATURE WHICH RESTRICTS OVERFLOW -The DozyAnt adapter automatically cuts off gas flow when pressure is reached "

I've been debating trying to find a 5lb tank myself, as I really hate the little ones too.

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

You’re a gentleman and a scholar. Missed that part.
It happens, but I was curious about that myself so I was looking for it when I hit the link. For as cheap as it is, I might snag one anyway. That said, I've encountered the 1lb bottles before where the threads get dinged up and aren't usable too...one of my reasons for not wanting to deal with them anymore. That would make refilling it an issue, much less using it anymore.

Reactions: JimInBC

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

I have the 10foot hose similar to that. I thought about the 11lb too but the 5 just fits everything better and lifts down off the roof easier. Though with the 10ft hose I may not need to always take it down.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I have a T and assorted hoses so I can run multiple things at the same time.

Sure you can refill the disposables but one of my issues with them is that when they leak there’s no way to stop it. That happened to me and was the final straw.

Reactions: martin_j001

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Sure thing @QCrunner. It started out as this mount because the 11lb worthington bottles have the same diameter as the 5lb bottles (different from Manchester bottles)...

Propane (BKT-2286) Mounting Bracket, Fits 11 lb. Worthington (2.5 gallon) Propane (LP) tank or the Manchester 10 lb. with a 9" diameter Propane tank
The necessary modifications are pretty clear.

BD332356-AD87-4BAA-9B2C-140781E682F3.jpeg

I added a ‘cleat’ to the bottom to help secure it in place.

AD12EA3B-47FC-43B0-8A43-94FAF4CA3965.jpeg

Without going into every detail, here is how it attaches to my basket..

http://fourtreks.com/parallel_modular_mounting_bracket.html

I went with the Worthington 5lb bottle since it’s shorter than the Manchester. I’ll take the added clearance since it’s mounted on my roof.

GrnRubi

Rank 0

Traveler I

Montana
I have the 10foot hose similar to that. I thought about the 11lb too but the 5 just fits everything better and lifts down off the roof easier. Though with the 10ft hose I may not need to always take it down.

Can you link to the 10 foot hose? I would like to use my new tank on my heater and stove.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

The powertank bottle is this one...

5lb model https://www.camperid.com/power-tank/propane-tank-bracket-mpn-bkt-2285.html?view=575041
10lb model https://www.camperid.com/power-tank/propane-tank-bracket-mpn-bkt-2286.html?view=188523&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Of3lOir3QIVgbbACh1JDwQhEAQYAyABEgIbjfD_BwE

I have the 5lb, and its nice. The clamp it metal on metal with a slottel nut so if you overtighten it, it will go to hell in a hand basket fast. My girl help me pack back up and did this for me, thats how I know, power tank gave me a free replacement band, and I swapped the nut to a nylock nut I replace every few trips for like $0.05.

The mount is stupid expensive, but so is the clamps (also did fourtreks clamps) since mine was custom since I drive and Xterra and no one makes anything for an X I had to drill my own holes for the application. Used grade 8 SAE hardware, its not going anywhere. With the longer hose I had built at evco house of hose. I dont even remove the tank when camping anymore. Just plumb to it to the 22" Partner steel stove. I know I have a photo showing the tank and 4 cans, just cant find it right now. Sorry. But you get the idea.

I found I can use the 5lb tank and 4 2.5G (10L) runt cans on the lower portion of the X Gobi rack at the same time. (or 6 runt cans only) couple this with a second row of runt cans on the incline which fit like a glove with the Tepui Autana Ruggedized on, and 2 5gallon (20L) mil cans on the maxterra rear bumper, I have enough to do almost anything I would need ever include bugging out. I have 6 runt water cans, 6 runt fuel cans, and a dozen 20L fuel and water cans. I really like the runt cans as they just barely clear the rack where the 20L stick up big time up there. I use to keep a set a 4gallon rotopax up there, but I like the mil cans alot more for dozens of reasons. They are just harder to find. but cost about the same if not less that rotopax.