Memphis, TN, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
McGaha
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4GKM
‘05 LR3 - 35“ Nitto Mud Graps / Voyager Rack / RTE Bumper / ARB Locker’s F&R / lots of other stuff (I also have a ’97 XD and a ’94 RRC):

Attachments

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
‘05 LR3 - 35“ Nitto Mud Graps / Voyager Rack / RTE Bumper / ARB Locker’s F&R / lots of other stuff (I also have a ’97 XD and a ’94 RRC):
How have the 35’s treated you? Did you add spacers to keep from being DOA with a suspension fault? Bump stop/no roll has me a little intimidated from going larger than the 265/70/18’s (33ish) I currently run.

Andrew McGaha

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Memphis, TN, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
McGaha
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4GKM
How have the 35’s treated you? Did you add spacers to keep from being DOA with a suspension fault? Bump stop/no roll has me a little intimidated from going larger than the 265/70/18’s (33ish) I currently run.
SYA to take care of the suspension fault. Spacers you have to have to clear the ball joint.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
SYA to take care of the suspension fault. Spacers you have to have to clear the ball joint.
No problems running the SYA kit? I’ve heard they can throw codes of their own. Maybe that’s been sorted, it’s been awhile since I’ve read up on it.

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

That looks awesome! I have an '05 LR3 as well, would like to make some of those mods. Curious, did you have to re-gear the transmission to run the bigger tires?

Andrew McGaha

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Memphis, TN, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
McGaha
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4GKM
That looks awesome! I have an '05 LR3 as well, would like to make some of those mods. Curious, did you have to re-gear the transmission to run the bigger tires?
No, but if there is ever an option for shorter gears (TC, R&P...) I’ll be all over it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
There are no gearing options for the LR3
I didn't know that. How about earlier models. I thought the D2's shared the same gear boxes as the that Jeep looking Land rover version.
I forget what they are called right now.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I didn't know that. How about earlier models. I thought the D2's shared the same gear boxes as the that Jeep looking Land rover version.
I forget what they are called right now.
There are options for D1 and D2, but not D3. Im talking axles, not gear box, which is what you’d change with larger wheels. There are probably some of the same components in the Defender and D1, but I’m not savvy on that. Defenders are too expensive for me to even think about...

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
There are options for D1 and D2, but not D3. Im talking axles, not gear box, which is what you’d change with larger wheels. There are probably some of the same components in the Defender and D1, but I’m not savvy on that. Defenders are too expensive for me to even think about...
@Rover7284 mentioned the transmission and I picked up on his comment. I thought you were talking about diffs though. I read somewhere where the defenders shared drive trains with D1 and D2's. I know D3's changed back to previous used transfer cases or some such thing but I thought all year models shared the same diff's which were also in the Defenders.
I cant imagine people owning a defender not being able to have diff gear choices. Because I havent changed my tire size enough to warrant a gear change I haven't given it a thought until you mentioned it. Still, I am surprised at your comment of no gear choices.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
@Rover7284 mentioned the transmission and I picked up on his comment. I thought you were talking about diffs though. I read somewhere where the defenders shared drive trains with D1 and D2's. I know D3's changed back to previous used transfer cases or some such thing but I thought all year models shared the same diff's which were also in the Defenders.
I cant imagine people owning a defender not being able to have diff gear choices. Because I havent changed my tire size enough to warrant a gear change I haven't given it a thought until you mentioned it. Still, I am surprised at your comment of no gear choices.
LR3/D3 has 4 wheel independent suspension so it shares nothing with the prior models.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Defender to Disco II all used the same basic LT230 transfer case but, you can not just swap there a lots of little differences. Same with front and rear diffs

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
LR3/D3 has 4 wheel independent suspension so it shares nothing with the prior models.
I've never seen one so I didn't know it was built similar to a military hummer suspension. Your saying it has swing axles instead of straight axles then ? That's pretty neat !