Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Defender to Disco II all used the same basic LT230 transfer case but, you can not just swap there a lots of little differences. Same with front and rear diffs
Thanks for the info. I really wasn't suggesting a swap of complete diff units. I was thinking more in terms of internal parts like a pumpkin swap or plain old gear change. You can marry many parts from other cars or brands if you have the right info. and skills.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Apparently you can get transfer cases with different gears hi range only

• 1.003 ratio £545
  • 1.1 ratio £620
  • 1.211/22 ratio £495
  • 1.3 ratio £620
  • 1.410 ratio £495
  • 1.667 ratios £595
And re-gear the diff

Ashcroft in England does them

The LR3 were different, they are based on engine not sure you would gain much

3.07:1 TDV6 Manual transmission.
3.54:1 TDV6 Auto.
3.73:1 all V8s.

But they are pretty limited in after market Uk sites would be the place to start

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Apparently you can get transfer cases with different gears hi range only

• 1.003 ratio £545
  • 1.1 ratio £620
  • 1.211/22 ratio £495
  • 1.3 ratio £620
  • 1.410 ratio £495
  • 1.667 ratios £595
And re-gear the diff

Ashcroft in England does them

The LR3 were different, they are based on engine not sure you would gain much

3.07:1 TDV6 Manual transmission.
3.54:1 TDV6 Auto.
3.73:1 all V8s.

But they are pretty limited in after market Uk sites would be the place to start
I can live with my 3.73 rear gear ratio, in low range it is awesome by my standards. I haven't had my rig too long (18 months) so I really havent had an opportunity to use it in any extreme conditions.

Reactions: rgallant

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Older defenders and RRC had borg warner TC. The D1/defenders/RRC share the same R&P however the D2 is different.
The D2 can be modified with D1 parts to operate the same. I saw a video on youtube about it. It's a very minor change. Something about a center locking devise that is on the D2 but not connected through the shift lever I believe.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
The D2 can be modified with D1 parts to operate the same. I saw a video on youtube about it. It's a very minor change. Something about a center locking devise that is on the D2 but not connected through the shift lever I believe.
Yes, that’s using the t-case shifter off a D1. The early years of D2 had the locking diff, then they had the locking diff but not the locking shifter, then they had neither and the last year of production they went back to both. The D1 t-case shifter could be made to fit a D2 that had the locking diff, but didn’t have the locking shifter.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yes, that’s using the t-case shifter off a D1. The early years of D2 had the locking diff, then they had the locking diff but not the locking shifter, then they had neither and the last year of production they went back to both. The D1 t-case shifter could be made to fit a D2 that had the locking diff, but didn’t have the locking shifter.
Confusing isn't it. How do we know what we have ? I have a 2000 model. Is there some place I can find out exactly what I have ? The original owner said he had never used the low range. I havent used it yet either. I have no idea if I have a locking diff, I had assumed all discos had select locking diff's. from the video's i've watched. I dont know anything about the center lock other than it supposed to be the best combination. If anyone can explain it to me I would appreciate it very much.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Lanlubber well 2000's had the CDL (center locking Diff) but it was not connected to a shifter (brilliant eh). You can retro fit a shifter.

And you want to exercise the low range - the shift cable tends to get really hard to use if you do not.

Just find a quiet nice piece of road
Stop or be moving at less than a slow walk
Transmission in neutral
Push the shift lever straight up to engage low range there is a neutral position so fully forward
Transmission to drive and continue

If it does not go
stop shift to reverse for a couple of seconds - foot on the brake
back to neutral and tray again

Once it is in drive a couple hundred meters then back to high (same process)

You should do this once a month to keep things happy

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
@Lanlubber well 2000's had the CDL (center locking Diff) but it was not connected to a shifter (brilliant eh). You can retro fit a shifter.

And you want to exercise the low range - the shift cable tends to get really hard to use if you do not.

Just find a quiet nice piece of road
Stop or be moving at less than a slow walk
Transmission in neutral
Push the shift lever straight up to engage low range there is a neutral position so fully forward
Transmission to drive and continue

If it does not go
stop shift to reverse for a couple of seconds - foot on the brake
back to neutral and tray again

Once it is in drive a couple hundred meters then back to high (same process)

You should do this once a month to keep things happy
Thank you for this info. I hope mine is not stuck since it's never been used in 20 years.
What are the benefits of a center locking diff ?

denverdisco2

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO
First Name
Will
Last Name
Howard
The CDL (center locking differential) turns the AWD discos into a true 4x4 meaning, that power is sent to the front and rear axle evenly and regardless of wheel spin. Without it if one wheel spins that's where all the power will be transferred. With the CDL engaged you can lift a front wheel and still provide power to the rear axle allowing you to continue moving. That said the traction control does a decent job on the D2s but it can't replace the CDL entirely.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have watched videos with STOCK discos that show they do very well even on some very rocky roads. I am assuming they didn't have the center lock. I guess I will just have to put mine to the test. I bought it because of the select drive feature.

Thank you for your help on this issue. Dumbo's are born every day even 85 years ago.

Roverbob

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Leicester, NC, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Wallace
Member #

So I have a bit of a sickness, my daily is a 99 discovery 2, im restoring a neglected 1990 range rover classic, and im looking to line up my next project car, i want a series truck. Im thinking about a 2A, metal dashes are the best! However I've been coming across alot of good deals on series 3's, thoughts?

EXPO_D1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coyle
Member #

So I have a bit of a sickness, my daily is a 99 discovery 2, im restoring a neglected 1990 range rover classic, and im looking to line up my next project car, i want a series truck. Im thinking about a 2A, metal dashes are the best! However I've been coming across alot of good deals on series 3's, thoughts?
:tearsofjoy: sounds like your doing well! Series have really started growing on me. a series 3 sounds like quite the rig

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Trying to decide between a jag powered l322 or an lr3. When i find the right deal i hope to join the club. Its an easy way to make my wife happy with a more luxury suv while I still get the extra off road worthy vehicle :grinning:

I keep looking into the l320 RRS as well. It seems like they don't hold value like the full size RR or lr3/lr4's do. Between the l322 and l320, which one does better off road? It seems to be a subject of debate and i can't really find a good answer searching google. Everything I have read says that the l320 is basically an lr3 frame, so should be just as capable, but i don't really know...

Last edited:

Contributor I

Golden, Colorafdo
First Name
Narsisco
Last Name
Lopez
Hey Guys,

I did a quick scan of this thread, but it's up to 20 pages now, so I'll have to go back and read in more detail when time allows.

I'm a SPANKING-BRAND-NEW NOOB to Land Rover: Just purchased a 2011 LR4 this past Saturday...

2011-land-rover-lr4_01.jpg

It's pretty pristine and well-cared-for... 99K miles and all the major issues tended to. The last owner is a retired LR mechanic and has babied her since he got it in 2015, so I've adopted a great platform to build upon. I'm trying not to go too crazy all at once, but am looking to start with 18" wheels and some good AT rubber. From there, I'll just drive some of the great roads and trails in Colorado and nearby and take things as they present themselves.

Morrisdl

Rank II

Enthusiast II

SML, VA
Great choice for such a beautify part of the country! too bad you are not closer, I have a set of SIX 18s w/32" Duratracs - I should probably list them for sale somewhere. Enjoy the best riding overlander out there! Cheers

Reactions: Narsisco Lopez

Contributor I

Golden, Colorafdo
First Name
Narsisco
Last Name
Lopez
Great choice for such a beautify part of the country! too bad you are not closer, I have a set of SIX 18s w/32" Duratracs - I should probably list them for sale somewhere. Enjoy the best riding overlander out there! Cheers
What's your location and can you post up some pix? Probably too pricey to ship, but you never know. :smile:

Andrew McGaha

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Memphis, TN, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
McGaha
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4GKM
Hey Guys,

I did a quick scan of this thread, but it's up to 20 pages now, so I'll have to go back and read in more detail when time allows.

I'm a SPANKING-BRAND-NEW NOOB to Land Rover: Just purchased a 2011 LR4 this past Saturday...

View attachment 175016

It's pretty pristine and well-cared-for... 99K miles and all the major issues tended to. The last owner is a retired LR mechanic and has babied her since he got it in 2015, so I've adopted a great platform to build upon. I'm trying not to go too crazy all at once, but am looking to start with 18" wheels and some good AT rubber. From there, I'll just drive some of the great roads and trails in Colorado and nearby and take things as they present themselves.
YMMV, but I will never own another set of Duratrax. I recommend Falcon Wildpeak, Nitto Trail Grapplers, and Bridgestone KO2 for AT. The Duratrax had a harsh ride and were as loud as my Mud Grapplers.