Enthusiast III

Boulder Drive, Roswell, GA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

Hi everyone,
I've seen a few threads started for other great overland vehicles, but couldn't find a Rover thread. Unless I Missed it, I'm happy to get the ball rolling...

About a year ago I handed down my Jeep Grand Cherokee to my oldest daughter. A great vehicle, by all standards and I wanted her to have mine as I know well how it was maintained. In need of another powerful off road and daily drivable rig I went shopping for another Jeep GC. I had trouble finding one with all the features and aspects I was looking for at the time. I test drove a 10 year old LR3 and fell in love immediately. It had all I was looking for and more. In the last year, I've grown more and more fond of it and have begun to understand why land rover owners love them so much. It's really inspired me to bring the family out exploring so much more, and have grown to really meet more land rover owners through a local Land Rover club (SOLAROS), which are a great bunch of guys and girls (more on that in another thread to come).

My first off road adventure was last year at URE12, a Land Rover (and other) meet up in Uwharrie NC. I couldn't believe how capable it was! There were trails (mainly the Dutch John) that I thought, there was no way I was making it, but I did!Getting a Push.jpg
It's hard to tell how steep this trail was from this point of view, but it was pretty steep and bouldery (probably not a real word, but it should be) from two weeks of rain.

I know you're out there, fellow Land Rover enthusiasts! Come and join the conversation, post your picks, talk about what you love or hate about them.

And for your enjoyment a few Land Rover(ish) songs...

Thank you.
Brentski

Ezalis

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portland, OR
Member #

There are a number of Land Rover fans out there! I lead software development teams for future Jaguar Land Rover infotainment systems out in Portland, OR and I work hard to make sure our teams get a taste of what our vehicles are capable of and getting a ton of involvement with the local clubs out on the West Coast. I typically take my rig out in the forest with the local Rover club or lead some trail runs with other local groups.

Every once and a while there are a few opportunities to take out some newer vehicles. I can assure you they are super capable!

But from day to day I'm typically driving our vehicle simulator with our future In Vehicle Infotainment systems to make sure the designs hit our customer needs.

Last edited:

Brentski

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder Drive, Roswell, GA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

There are a number of Land Rover fans out there! I lead software development teams for future Jaguar Land Rover infotainment systems out in Portland, OR and I work hard to make sure our teams get a taste of what our vehicles are capable of and getting a ton of involvement with the local clubs out on the West Coast. I typically take my rig out in the forest with the local Rover club or lead some trail runs with other local groups.

Every once and a while there are a few opportunities to take out some newer vehicles. I can assure you they are super capable!

But from day to day I'm typically driving our vehicle simulator with our future In Vehicle Infotainment systems to make sure the designs hit our customer needs.

Thanks for chiming in Ezalis! I have to say, I'm a little jealous of how immersed you are in Land Rover! I'm having trouble viewing your pics. though. Would love to see them, I have an aunt that lives near Portland and she tells me how beautiful it is out there every time I talk to her!

Come on everyone, let's see those other Rovers! Good, bad or ugly, they are all beautiful to me!

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

Yes! Landy's!

Here is my 03' DII, Gnasher.

Every bit of work so far has been done myself, to include painting the rig, installing slider, engine work, etc.

Absolutely love this rig. Though, I haven't been able to really get out and adventure much, since I'm stationed in South Carolina, and have deployed more than half the time I've been there. Currently on my third and final deployment, then I'll be heading back home to Washington State, February/March of 2017.

I cannot wait to get back.

Plus, @Laughing Otter and I have adventures to go on!

I am also going to change out those roof rack lights for larger ones. I was testing out the smallest range of Cree LED's to see how they performed, and they were alright. I need something larger though, more output, and better looking.

Anyways....

That pack is my beloved Triple Aught Design: FAST Pack Litespeed, that Land Rover patch was a gift from a friend awhile back, an is a pre-Camel Trophy patch.

Twinsies-0079.jpg Flag-0056.jpg Waterproof-0074.jpg FortPulaski-0069.jpg

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Yes! Landy's!

Here is my 03' DII, Gnasher.

Every bit of work so far has been done myself, to include painting the rig, installing slider, engine work, etc.

Absolutely love this rig. Though, I haven't been able to really get out and adventure much, since I'm stationed in South Carolina, and have deployed more than half the time I've been there. Currently on my third and final deployment, then I'll be heading back home to Washington State, February/March of 2017.

I cannot wait to get back.

Plus, @Laughing Otter and I have adventures to go on!

I am also going to change out those roof rack lights for larger ones. I was testing out the smallest range of Cree LED's to see how they performed, and they were alright. I need something larger though, more output, and better looking.

Anyways....

That pack is my beloved Triple Aught Design: FAST Pack Litespeed, that Land Rover patch was a gift from a friend awhile back, an is a pre-Camel Trophy patch.

View attachment 7994 View attachment 7995 View attachment 8004 View attachment 8008
Yes we do, brother!

Ezalis

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portland, OR
Member #

I have those exact same small bricks for my front bumper acting as fog lights so I can understand how they might not be providing you the amount of light you're looking for. I ended up getting 4 of these for my roof rack.

They don't throw as far as halogens (but I don't plan on blasting down a trail at night), but they do an awesome job of lighting up the surrounding area when wheeling at night.

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

I have those exact same small bricks for my front bumper acting as fog lights so I can understand how they might not be providing you the amount of light you're looking for. I ended up getting 4 of these for my roof rack.

They don't throw as far as halogens (but I don't plan on blasting down a trail at night), but they do an awesome job of lighting up the surrounding area when wheeling at night.
Nice. I was looking at these too.

Ebay has them for a decent price. I reckon I'll pick some up.

Thank you.

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

My disco 1 has about 186K on the clock, and so far most of my work on her has been to get her back to good condition mechanically, but now that that never ending project is slowing down I can start to work and add light modifications! (Currently making a custom super lightweight roof rack)

(Pics to come)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

My disco 1 has about 186K on the clock, and so far most of my work on her has been to get her back to good condition mechanically, but now that that never ending project is slowing down I can start to work and add light modifications! (Currently making a custom super lightweight roof rack)

(Pics to come)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app
I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

I'm looking at getting some expandable metal flooring to weld onto my voyager rack. Then I'd like to weld brackets to the outer most sections of the tubing, onto the expandable metal flooring, that will let me put in a drawer system for a solar panel and it's housing.

I'll make some drawings of it at some point.

Again, interested in what you're up to!

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

I'm looking at getting some expandable metal flooring to weld onto my voyager rack. Then I'd like to weld brackets to the outer most sections of the tubing, onto the expandable metal flooring, that will let me put in a drawer system for a solar panel and it's housing.

I'll make some drawings of it at some point.

Again, interested in what you're up to!
That sounds like a useful little addition! I'm most likely going to use poplar as the flooring just due to ease of installment. My main challenge for the rack is that I don't own a welder, so it all needs to be created without one! I'll be sure to post the final result when I'm done.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gnasher_PNW