Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Make the simplest platform I could . I’m using a futon mattress (air mattress always seem to suck ) so I made the platform fold in two spots so I can roll the mattress up with sleeping bag on it and still be able to put stuff on top of the mattress and as a bonus it will sit angled when folded half way making a lounge to sit and chill . Found a piece of 3/4” ply in the back of the warehouse at work that had piano hinges on it so total cost so far is 0$ . The sliders are just pieces of hardwood that I did a round over on and sanded super smooth and smothered in paste wax . It slides super easy actually to easy because it bangs back and forth when driving . Took the scraps I had left over and mocked up a box for the sides . I will pick up some nice birch or other nice plywood to make them out of . 6103F605-F400-4894-B909-0656E2362646.jpegCDCFF773-8E55-42D8-B2E4-3D2C01E0AE11.jpegE385BEAF-3C0C-40CF-9EDE-ACC67BE64204.jpegC7F6E258-2F28-46F3-A904-B81FECC70D80.jpeg3E60C88A-7401-4AC6-B936-A997FB740D69.jpeg

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

That’s coming along very nicely.
I like the storage box on the side. Are there going to be hinges…oops, I just saw “mock up”.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

That’s coming along very nicely.
I like the storage box on the side. Are there going to be hinges…oops, I just saw “mock up”.
ya unfortunately the plywood had been sitting in our warehouse for at least 10 years so it has let’s say a certain odor of old musty building and needs to go asap

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
ya unfortunately the plywood had been sitting in our warehouse for at least 10 years so it has let’s say a certain odor of old musty building and needs to go asap
What, you don't want that authentic "moldy motor home" smell?

Seriously though, I'm really excited to see what you do with this. I'm currently switching my Xterra around a bit myself.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Seriously though, I'm really excited to see what you do with this. I'm currently switching my Xterra around a bit myself.
I am really tempted to make my own pop up camper for it . The only one I’ve found that really suits my needs has a 9 month waiting list . I don’t want another project but I also don’t want to spend 12k on something to have to wait almost a year for it . With my track record I won’t even have the truck by then lol

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Really like the way this guy constructed his . Mine would be a more traditional slide in camper but I like his budget approach. all I really need is a dry spot to sleep in , no kitchen or cabinets or any of that bs

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Productive evening after work 2” body lift (easiest one I’ve ever done ) and an add a leaf for the rear . Suspension was a bit squaty with even a couple hundred lbs hope the add a leaf will combat that . Have a couple little things to do later , make some 1” spacers for the engine and trans to help keep the shifter a little higher and will make fitting the winch behind the bumper a little easier . 5B86A869-3196-4981-A1E6-1334CCBFA1BF.jpeg1AB19A41-9E40-45D8-9ABB-8582052AA52A.jpeg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Had to run from clackamas to auburn wa and back because I mistakenly put some product on the wrong truck at work and had to pick them up from a shipper up there . Even doing 76 most of the way I still managed 19.87 mpgs and hit 150k on the nice little morning drive . E2A039BC-37DD-4A6C-B3BA-25C2F8D0106E.jpeg1C95BA06-1DFF-4681-994E-D018D83B2685.png

syncro

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Tim
Last Name
K
Member #

Had to run from clackamas to auburn wa and back because I mistakenly put some product on the wrong truck at work and had to pick them up from a shipper up there . Even doing 76 most of the way I still managed 19.87 mpgs and hit 150k on the nice little morning drive . View attachment 247963View attachment 247964
Looking forward to this thread and I enjoyed your Sequoia projects here and elsewhere (and I'm a little bummed you moved on from it), but I had to comment: I don't think I've ever heard of the I-5 run between PDX and SEA as a " nice little morning drive." You must really love your new rig!

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Looking forward to this thread and I enjoyed your Sequoia projects here and elsewhere (and I'm a little bummed you moved on from it), but I had to comment: I don't think I've ever heard of the I-5 run between PDX and SEA as a " nice little morning drive." You must really love your new rig!
the sequoia was a fun rig and I’m already missing it’s butter smooth ride but the truck just works better for me in daily life and I really want the convenience of a slide in camper down the road .

ya thedrive is much better in my truck compared to driving a box truck up there .

Reactions: syncro

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Making a little progress. Need to drill a few more holes get some longer bolts some more trimming of the bumper and mount but should hopefully get it buttoned up tonight . And if you’re wondering brown and blue was the only paint I had laying around at work . EE017A29-CAF8-4194-9C1B-421910AE9D99.jpegBE789026-93BC-4AD7-B6A3-126AFB81DA29.jpeg

Reactions: KonzaLander

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I dig it. Where did you get that winch plate?
It’s just a harbor, freight universal that I attached to some half-inch play. I had laying around with a piece of 2 x 3 corner wall underneath it and a couple of quarter inch flat bar tab is running up the frame.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

UGG talk to text is worthless isn’t it? I don’t think I speaking gibberish when I talk, but my phone sure thinks I do.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
It more or less made sense. Are you sure the tabs and flatbar will be strong enough to hold during a pull? I'm not interested in putting a big steel bumper on my X (mileage is bad enough, and I don't want all that weight up front, requiring new torsion bars).

If it's strong enough though, maybe I'll pick one up, and have a shop help me figure out how to attach it to the front of the X.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

It more or less made sense. Are you sure the tabs and flatbar will be strong enough to hold during a pull? I'm not interested in putting a big steel bumper on my X (mileage is bad enough, and I don't want all that weight up front, requiring new torsion bars).

If it's strong enough though, maybe I'll pick one up, and have a shop help me figure out how to attach it to the front of the X.
Wam bumpers makes onethere is a company or two that makes to I just didn’t like the $600 price tagBD205F15-1B18-4500-B68A-484C19DB3CB2.png

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

That turned out really nice! I'm a bit jealous.
thank you , there are some things I really don’t like about it but it’s covered by the bumper so nobody will ever see lol . Next after I sell off mysilverado( if you know anyone in the market for a super clean 2wd let me know ) it will be onto the long process of figuring out tires and debating on building a slide in camper for it .