First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Linville , FS 192,4068, 4062,4053
I've tried to go up Old House Gap Rd several times, but it's always gated on Mortimer end. The other end is open out of Linville, but the "Trout Unlimited" group has petitioned Grandfather district Ranger to close it because "off-roaders" were contaminating the stream for fishing. Never mind that the trail never gets closer than 75 ft to it.
What they ended up with is an 8-mile-long private fishing river.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
A few days ago I wrapped up the valve adjustment on the CJ2A first thing in the morning. Set the intake valves to .014 and exhaust valves to .016, some of them were way loose, the engine is sewing machine quite/smooth now.

Then I got this dropped off to work on for a friend. 1956 CJ5. He ust wants it running and driving well enough to putt around town, do some parades and maybe some light trail duty every once in a while. It needs quite a few things fixed, but not an overwhelming amount of things. It was a plow vehicle in Colorado for a long time, when supposedly the owner of the Jeep traded snow plow services for the city maintaining the Jeep for him. Overall, it looks to be in pretty good shape. First thing first. Unscrew the battery to starter wiring and get it to start or at least crank on it's own.

449065175_10233590009958213_8267214245770365616_n.jpg

Today's progress. Yesterday I got it running, they had a 4gauge cable for the positive battery cable, I replaced it with a 1 gauge cable from the tractor section of tractor supply and that got it cranking pretty well, but the wiring going to the coil and distributor is old and decrepit and we had very weak spark. I adjusted and cleaned the points and used some jumpers for temporary power to the coil and she fired up pretty easily. When adjusting the idle speed on the carb, which is a SOLEX replacement, the idle speed screw tab just broke off the carb completely. I'm going to have to try to source a new piece for that.

Reactions: roots66

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Had one of them days
Have had an odd creeking popping coming from my front end for a while I couldn’t track down . It would only make it when driving not when cycling the suspension with the strut out , not when cycling the suspension with the forklift just in motion . Turned out it was the one piece bushing design in the upper arms that didn’t have a lot of travel before they started binding IMG_7765.jpegIMG_7766.jpeg . replaced them with some bilsstein arms much better bushing that’s greasable . Decided while it was apart I would replace all the ultra cheapy suspension parts from when I did my Titan swap with better components. Got everything mostly torn down and then realized I’m stupid and ordered frontier parts and not Titan parts ….. crap so I put it all mostly together but still had the hub units to replace while I still had things apart but my ratchet had other ideas
IMG_7767.jpeg
so after punching myself in the chest and falling backwards into a tool box I said screw it good enough and slapped it together took a hot shower and drank a bottle of wine

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Had one of them days
Have had an odd creeking popping coming from my front end for a while I couldn’t track down . It would only make it when driving not when cycling the suspension with the strut out , not when cycling the suspension with the forklift just in motion . Turned out it was the one piece bushing design in the upper arms that didn’t have a lot of travel before they started binding View attachment 281060View attachment 281061 . replaced them with some bilsstein arms much better bushing that’s greasable . Decided while it was apart I would replace all the ultra cheapy suspension parts from when I did my Titan swap with better components. Got everything mostly torn down and then realized I’m stupid and ordered frontier parts and not Titan parts ….. crap so I put it all mostly together but still had the hub units to replace while I still had things apart but my ratchet had other ideas
View attachment 281062
so after punching myself in the chest and falling backwards into a tool box I said screw it good enough and slapped it together took a hot shower and drank a bottle of wine
Sometimes ya just gotta punt.

Reactions: Smileyshaun

Soapy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Add a set of kickass LED lights under the RTT and ran an extension cord under the bed from the back seat area of the power wagon to the back of pickup bed. I usually travel with solar power bank in the cab and one in the bed. If I am only traveling with one I still have power out back. I can use my 400 watts of solar to charge both power banks now. Kickass lights are dimmable and can be amber or white or a combo of each. Under $100 for the whole kit.

Attachments

TexasLandman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Harrell
Member #

Started my Coastal Off-road man puzzle (aka bumper) on my 07 Sequoia
Finally got back on the man puzzle after a long delay. Short of some finish welds and light tabs I’ll be blasting, painting and mounting winch soon.
Also welded my sliders to the frame.IMG_4446.jpegIMG_4444.jpeg
IMG_4016.jpegIMG_0071.jpegIMG_4432.jpeg

Last edited: