Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

The first gen titans and second gen frontier are actually built on the same frame so if you pull the control arms off the Titan you have long travel suspension plus you can use the larger Titan diff for more strength
For me the downside of doing the tighten swap is it makes the vehicle way wider and I enjoy how small this truck is

Reactions: tjZ06

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Sense I have so many things I need to get taken care of and am not ready to upgrade tires yet I busted out the ol hot tire knife and hopefully made my all seasons a little more all terrain 78FF48F4-4A72-4138-8C53-3BB194E050E1.jpeg3B19936B-09F1-40EA-B6A7-20DD274A0D25.jpeg

Reactions: MazeVX and Dougnuts

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Sense I have so many things I need to get taken care of and am not ready to upgrade tires yet I busted out the ol hot tire knife and hopefully made my all seasons a little more all terrain View attachment 245230View attachment 245231
That tread pattern looks suspiciously like the Michelin Defender all season. My 2013 had a set of those when I bought it a couple of years ago. They did surprisingly well in dirt and rocks.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Had to do some deliveries for work in the Eugene area so decided to take the little one with me and head over to Bend afterwords . Stayed in a cool hotel with a big ol fire pit . Next day we drive around a bit and tried finding some possibly abandoned places but blocked roads kinda ruined those plans . Found some great views by an observatory and a lot of snow on mount hood on the way back . It was a nice little daddy daughter trip even though camping wasn’t involved . A suspension upgrade needs to happen in the front . With Nissans when you lift the front the struts has a tendency to contact the upper control arm and with having a spacer lift limiting uptravel the ride is a little choppy .
EEE53BA8-8779-4E12-8CAE-745BEC0827EF.jpeg96A39809-68A3-451D-A916-00C0782BC3FA.jpeg865E8C82-2341-4E00-95CA-F257831CFEA5.jpeg2D2494C2-049B-4A07-8460-ED1F4B24BE38.jpeg026209DA-7CBB-48A7-BB68-AE09FFC04ED7.jpeg4044EBF1-31E2-40BF-909F-EB2D2912D9B5.jpegED9A39D8-3656-406C-A0D8-0AB4A46B8F42.jpeg6378A316-D853-4D36-8C20-071D45D8291C.jpeg67E1237C-47AC-4782-AD73-5ECAC3DFD498.jpegCEA463D7-1FB5-4B94-BA22-674A048C8B04.jpeg8C7BAB3C-22C6-4275-9DA8-3E53B9092882.jpeg9A64E1F5-AD0E-4FFD-858D-A4E7AD3CD9B0.jpeg25D499B3-1413-420B-A358-A1A2D9B29E2F.jpeg

Reactions: MazeVX and Dougnuts

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Very nice! I know all dogs offroad has some new UCAs that I hear are quite good. Might be worth checking out.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
may there’s a few out there but I’m really weighing the cost between doing that or just doing a Titanswap
Man, coming out with the big guns right off the bat......Respect.

Personally, I have no desire to TS my frontier, but it's not my primary off road rig. If it was, I would probably think differently.
At least with a TS, you have the option of being able to source OEM parts.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Man, coming out with the big guns right off the bat......Respect.

Personally, I have no desire to TS my frontier, but it's not my primary off road rig. If it was, I would probably think differently.
At least with a TS, you have the option of being able to source OEM parts.
main draw for me is ride comfort , having that extra travel will really make things nicer on the trail and swapping in the Titan diff will greatly increase confidence in the front end when I’m out in the middle of nowhere solo ( I don’t ever really go out with others . From what I’ve gathered so far it’s not much more money than doing control arms and coilovers on the stock setup .

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
main draw for me is ride comfort , having that extra travel will really make things nicer on the trail and swapping in the Titan diff will greatly increase confidence in the front end when I’m out in the middle of nowhere solo ( I don’t ever really go out with others . From what I’ve gathered so far it’s not much more money than doing control arms and coilovers on the stock setup .
From my understanding, it's anywhere from 5-10k, if you have it done. It's probably something you can do on your own though. It's mostly a matter of having time/tools. I believe it's all bolt on anyways.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

From my understanding, it's anywhere from 5-10k, if you have it done. It's probably something you can do on your own though. It's mostly a matter of having time/tools. I believe it's all bolt on anyways.
Yup, it's all bolt-on unless you're getting really crazy and going with non-stock shock hoops and things like that which would need welded in. But you'd only do that if you're basically doing a Titan swap AND a Titan long-travel at the same time, vs. just a Titan swap which is already "long travel" for an X/Fronty. I've priced it out many different ways, and I came to about ~$4k how I'd do it. For me I'd be leaving the stock X front diff, I wouldn't be looking to build a rock crawler I'd just be looking for the comfort of the extra travel (the lack of travel is really the only thing I don't love about this X). That said, I'm actually more interested in a stock-width "mid travel" setup. I'd like just a bit more travel to stay off the bumpstops on forest service roads. For my purpose this kit is interesting: Alldogs Offroad Radflo Extended Travel Suspension Lift for 2nd Gen Nissan Xterra

-TJ

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Yup, it's all bolt-on unless you're getting really crazy and going with non-stock shock hoops and things like that which would need welded in. But you'd only do that if you're basically doing a Titan swap AND a Titan long-travel at the same time, vs. just a Titan swap which is already "long travel" for an X/Fronty. I've priced it out many different ways, and I came to about ~$4k how I'd do it. For me I'd be leaving the stock X front diff, I wouldn't be looking to build a rock crawler I'd just be looking for the comfort of the extra travel (the lack of travel is really the only thing I don't love about this X). That said, I'm actually more interested in a stock-width "mid travel" setup. I'd like just a bit more travel to stay off the bumpstops on forest service roads. For my purpose this kit is interesting: Alldogs Offroad Radflo Extended Travel Suspension Lift for 2nd Gen Nissan Xterra

-TJ
this is what I was thinking then just finding a Titan diff

Attachments

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I’ve done enough of do it cheaper then redoing it right later , but once cry once
100%, of course that's where the snowball from heck comes in. If I were doing either the Titan or that mid-travel kit I'd start down the path of "well probably should throw new wheel bearings at it" and "definitely new calipers/rotors/pads" etc. etc. and I'd make sure everything in the front end was 100% new. It'd add a grand or so of extra parts, but would be worth it.

-TJ

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
True. And here I am, sitting on a box of ome 2in lift parts for almost a year, that I've not gotten around to installing yet.... Lol.

Soon, Nebula. Very. Soon.....

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

100%, of course that's where the snowball from heck comes in. If I were doing either the Titan or that mid-travel kit I'd start down the path of "well probably should throw new wheel bearings at it" and "definitely new calipers/rotors/pads" etc. etc. and I'd make sure everything in the front end was 100% new. It'd add a grand or so of extra parts, but would be worth it.

-TJ
Thankfully all my front end parts were done 12k ago . I do like the Nissan platform for the fact you can mix and match parts due to it being the same frame

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Of course, on the other hand, if I do a full tightn swap and do knuckles and everything I can switch to a 6X 5.5 bolt pattern which will make wheels a lot easier to pick out.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Of course, on the other hand, if I do a full tightn swap and do knuckles and everything I can switch to a 6X 5.5 bolt pattern which will make wheels a lot easier to pick out.
Yeah, I don't know why they switched bolt patterns from the d22 to the d40. My 03 Xterra uses 6x5.5.....one of Nissan's odder ideas.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Scored and picked up a fiberglass canopy for 200$ . About 60$ worth of plexiglass and a couple hours work it has 2 new windows . Next will be insulating it a bit , making a simple sleeping platform and trying out this little canopy tent thing . Snow camping here I come 71E69C72-2A6A-47BE-ACFD-ABB0B4643757.jpegD31C1612-5ECC-4A9A-9C00-78E83FB87635.png