Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I have a horrible habit of bouncing around from vehicle to vehicle …. More of a sickness actually so here we go again where I say I’m going to keep it mostly stock but it will probably be on 35s soon with who knows what else done
. Main goals are a pop top camper , winch and just get out more

2012 pro 4x manual trans .
8301987B-0D00-4217-B917-50ABE087CECF.jpeg

I really missed my xterra that I squeezed 35s on with only 1.5” of lift , was great in the snow and really enjoyable to drive but I do plan on keeping this a bit more mild .
38DC3402-727E-4CD5-BABA-C7AED56EE594.jpeg8FD768E0-6D17-4A4B-AFCD-3DA9DE09C55E.jpeg

hope to get out and do some exploring this weekend

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Little things first .
a set of lights I forgot I had and being a lazy SOB I just quick tapped them into the factory fog light wires going to wire up the factory switch so I can turn it on whenever I want and also do the same with the locker switch , makes drifting much More fun 0C12F446-A4A9-4383-A239-26332E28EA79.jpeg
Replaced the shocks due to the lower bushings being gone and banging around louder than a toddler with and pan and a spoon 4377ABA4-07AF-47B0-BF16-B9AFAA82CB22.jpeg

Reactions: MazeVX

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Got out to do a little day drive to see how the truck works , gotta say I love how much faster it engages 4x4 compared to the last couple Toyotas I had . Had to leave a lot later than I wanted to because of work but still managed to get out and see some nice fall colors some horribly icy snow. Again I’m reminded of how few pictures I take while I’m out but was told by a group of guys in new Broncos that the road ahead had a tree across it and the washout over it making the road impossible and they had to turn around. 4 low 1st gear just crawled over it other than that my tires are horrible in the snow (not my choice but they are new and came on the truck ) and it was a nice day just cruising around with the lady . Got to enjoy a glass of wine with a fire and a creek in the background all in all a nice day . 02ABB5EA-EBD2-4CB4-BC62-7F64A41FA1DB.jpeg07D3AB46-C8C3-4F40-8ABC-8748A37C8313.jpeg3CC72020-3B26-4A8C-BCAB-CDC43E94266F.jpeg1C5653C5-DE7E-47DF-9956-CD9E0D39FA2E.jpegC40E31B1-9A1B-4549-AD36-F34C1CC20942.jpeg219D949A-EA80-451D-86EA-3E6A4C44787E.jpeg6F4CAF25-CD40-470E-A7BC-144EC3291E7F.jpeg

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Rad! I just got a 2012 Xterra Pro-4X a month or two ago, but I couldn't find a manual trans that didn't cost as much as a new rig. The Frontier will be an awesome platform with the utility of a pickup bed. It's so tempting to go full Titan swap on these things...

-TJ

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Rad! I just got a 2012 Xterra Pro-4X a month or two ago, but I couldn't find a manual trans that didn't cost as much as a new rig. The Frontier will be an awesome platform with the utility of a pickup bed. It's so tempting to go full Titan swap on these things...

-TJ

It was actually the opposite for me this manual was way cheaper than the auto ones I could find . They are a great platform and I really missed my xterra . The Titan swap is very tempting I need to do a little more research but I was wondering if I did one and ran a 35x10.50 with a wheel with a higher offset if I could pull the tires back under the fender more .

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

It was actually the opposite for me this manual was way cheaper than the auto ones I could find . They are a great platform and I really missed my xterra . The Titan swap is very tempting I need to do a little more research but I was wondering if I did one and ran a 35x10.50 with a wheel with a higher offset if I could pull the tires back under the fender more .
Yeah, I've been looking into other lift options too and came across this: Alldogs Offroad Radflo Extended Travel Suspension Lift for 2nd Gen Nissan Xterra that should get a little more travel (the Fronteir/Xterra's only real downside is the lack of travel, IMHO) and a moderate lift without making it super wide like the TItan setup. Of course what I should do is leave mine the heck alone and have it be the only stock rig in my fleet and stay a nice, reliable DD and "soft roader" and leave the stupid stuff to the WJ and SAS'ed D'max. But I'm not good at following my own advice...

-TJ

Reactions: Smileyshaun

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Yeah, I've been looking into other lift options too and came across this: Alldogs Offroad Radflo Extended Travel Suspension Lift for 2nd Gen Nissan Xterra that should get a little more travel (the Fronteir/Xterra's only real downside is the lack of travel, IMHO) and a moderate lift without making it super wide like the TItan setup. Of course what I should do is leave mine the heck alone and have it be the only stock rig in my fleet and stay a nice, reliable DD and "soft roader" and leave the stupid stuff to the WJ and SAS'ed D'max. But I'm not good at following my own advice...

-TJ

I’ve heard good things about all dogs kit and also think I will go that route , I like how small the truck is and would like to keep it that way although I’ve heard doing the Titan swap will give it a better turning radius .

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Nice to see you're back in the Nissan Camp!! Looking forward to seeing what you do and don't do to this rig!

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I have a horrible habit of bouncing around from vehicle to vehicle …. More of a sickness actually so here we go again where I say I’m going to keep it mostly stock but it will probably be on 35s soon with who knows what else done
. Main goals are a pop top camper , winch and just get out more

hope to get out and do some exploring this weekend
If bouncing around from vehicle to vehicle is a sickness, then I think I must have a pandemic, as I keep building them, and keeping the old ones...lol every couple of years a new overlanding mouth to feed in fleet... Try to justify it by each one having a different purpose or type of travel its designed for, but truth is we just get attached...

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

If bouncing around from vehicle to vehicle is a sickness, then I think I must have a pandemic, as I keep building them, and keeping the old ones...lol every couple of years a new overlanding mouth to feed in fleet... Try to justify it by each one having a different purpose or type of travel its designed for, but truth is we just get attached...
You just described me. The WJ is more of a "Rocklander", the D'max/FWC is my "luxury" Overlander, and now the Xterra is my basic Overlander for simple/quick tent trips (until I inevitably ruin it). I think I like the "build" and thinking through setups as much as camping sometimes.

-TJ

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
You just described me. The WJ is more of a "Rocklander", the D'max/FWC is my "luxury" Overlander, and now the Xterra is my basic Overlander for simple/quick tent trips (until I inevitably ruin it). I think I like the "build" and thinking through setups as much as camping sometimes.

-TJ
Our WJ has been wraptor lined and gets used for local brushed over trails as it is very difficult to scratch the finish.
JKU is the rig set up for long trips, technical stuff and is the best equipped by far.
Ram 1 ton is a long range vehicle that is next on the build list to replace the dually bed with a habitat module and be set up for mainly winter and crappy weather travel with the intent of not screwing with a RTT in below zero weather, having a roomy cab for extended trips etc.

Reactions: tjZ06

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Thank you I will try my best to keep it close to stock … we will see
Honestly, I've found that they don't really need much, as they're already very capable. A little bit of lift and some good tires seems to be all they need. At least in my experience.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Ok you Nissan dudes.......share with the rest of us what the "Titan swap" is all about, please.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Ok you Nissan dudes.......share with the rest of us what the "Titan swap" is all about, please.
The first gen titans and second gen frontier are actually built on the same frame so if you pull the control arms off the Titan you have long travel suspension plus you can use the larger Titan diff for more strength