Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I just stick with my normal EDC, which is a Glock19, chopped for Glock26 mags, and carried IWB with a TLR-3. On road trips I'll usually stuff 1 or 2 stick mags in my front pocket.
Glock19_Chopped_TLR3_crop_800x600.jpg

I don't usually stress about it more than that, but I also have my .277 Wolverine ARs (one an 8.5" pistol, and another 20" I built for hunting) that could add peace of mind. I'd more than likely carry the pistol due to the more standardized legality of traveling with a loaded "Pistol."
20180222_153127-600x800.jpg

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Out of curiosity, how does this thread differ from the "camping with firearms thread?" (I only ask because my response was moved to that thread, so I am not sure what to discuss here :) .
I am unsure, possibly a bot moved it due to your content? Again not sure. but would like to know what it was you had?
Mine was moved also
I moved this discussion into an already existing thread. But somehow, only some of the posts moved, the rest remaining in the original thread. I just fixed that.

We have two firearms threads; this one and https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/legal-weapons-and-overlanding.448 That should cover any and all firearms related discussions. Thanks

Justin Lee

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pensacola, FL, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Lee
I have never been told the right answers by calling the state police in regards to gun laws. Not one single time. lol I travel all around the country with my firearms for R&R and training. I wouldn't say it's a conspiracy by other LEO's but Police are not experts in every law and just because they carry a gun does not make them "gun people." A lot of times they'll air on the side of caution in answering your questions or avoid the right answer for fear of being responsible legally. LEO's are paid to protect you and trained not to trust you. It's the way it works for their safety and for their communities they're charged with cleaning up after. Also, I've known several LEO's over the years that the only time they've ever shot or cleaned their guns is during mandatory training and qualification.

There are several sites that keep up to date on carry and reciprocity. Seek independent sites that are specifically geared towards the laws you're in question of.
As with a lawyer, officers do not know every law in the books, just where to find them. Same can be said for doctors......that's scary, but at least most of them are smart enough to know they don't know everything, but are brave enough to ask for help. I have said before, laws are too numerous, they are to confuse us. I am in school for criminal justice at a very good school, and I still am confused 90% of the time. Plus, we leave laws on the books way passed their usage. Any body familiar with the saying, "As a rule of thumb"? Anyone know where that comes from?

Reactions: Lindenwood

TheRubiconLife

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Augusta, GA
Member #

Let me start by saying this is not a pro or anti- gun article. This is about responsibility, safety and a little about the law. As a person who mostly does solo camping in remote areas, I feel comfortable with a gun on or near me to deal with any predators whether they are animal or human. With over 30 years of training and handling various firearms, my preference will always be to diffuse a situation and find the quickest exit. This being said, a firearm may or may not be something you're comfortable with.

Being in California, I can only speak to our state laws. Since Overland Bound crosses many borders, I urge anyone interested in carrying a weapon to check their local and state laws; it’s only a Google away.

When transporting a concealable firearm [handgun] in a vehicle it MUST be kept unloaded in a locked container or vehicle trunk. This means stuffed between the seats, glove box or console is not legal. Anyone with a permit to carry a concealed weapon [CCW] is exempt. Long nonconcealable firearms such as unloaded shotguns and rifles are also exempt. Firearms ARE allowed on BLM land as well as most national parks. As of 2010 guns ARE allowed in all but 20 of the 392 national parks. Yellowstone, Grand Canyon Yosemite are part of the park system that allows firearms. Where they are NOT allowed is the visitor centers and the ranger stations. This is because firearms are not allowed in federal buildings. Also whether it's national forest or parks they mostly fall back on local state laws. However, National Forest land requires firearms be unloaded in a case. There are many exemptions regarding hunting season and too many to list here.

Every firearm should be thought of as a tool and not a toy. If you’re going to take on the responsibility of carrying a firearm there are many things to consider such as your familiarity and proficiency with the particular weapon you carry. If you have any doubts, you should visit one of the many public or private shooting ranges as well as gun stores for advice, many offer firearm safety courses.

Safety is the number one priority without question. Always know the condition of your firearm, is it loaded? [Always assume it is] Is the safety on or off? And most importantly, who’s around you? Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot and keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. If target practicing, know your background. If you’re in a campground or a location with other people and especially kids, keep you firearms locked away and secured. And of course never mix alcohol or drugs with firearms. This includes prescription medication that might alter you mental or physical well-being.

One non-lethal alternative that I highly recommend is pepper spray. This can legally be carried in all 50 states and I can say from experience, it’s very effective. One or two short bursts to the face of any animal or human and they will be at their knees and incapacitated. I can verify this by experience too.

Although I could go on, I’ll close this with know the laws of the location you’re in or traveling to and there’s no substitute for common sense.

I concur, fire arms and safety go hand in hand. Always know the condition of the weapon (loaded or unloaded). You have to be proficient in the weapon of choice. How to load and unload, where the safety is and how to operate it. You should always take a couple of minute prior to a trip and get go over the operational features of your weapon. If you have friends and family that are going on the trip with you and they are comfortable with handling firearms, they too should get a class on the operational features of the weapon.

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

I concur, fire arms and safety go hand in hand. Always know the condition of the weapon (loaded or unloaded). You have to be proficient in the weapon of choice. How to load and unload, where the safety is and how to operate it. You should always take a couple of minute prior to a trip and get go over the operational features of your weapon. If you have friends and family that are going on the trip with you and they are comfortable with handling firearms, they too should get a class on the operational features of the weapon.
I would have to agree however I will add this...While you may know the condition of the weapon always and I mean always assume that the weapon is loaded and treat it as such.

Griff

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Also the only hand gun that is actually useful against bear's is the 10mm, anything less your just wasting ammo.
Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app
. LOL...Flashback to 1988, Fairbanks, AK. Local gun shop owner asked my crew dog buddy if he was going to consider removing the front site on his newly purchased "Bear Pistol"? He asked why? You shoot a bear with that thing and he/she is going to shove it up your a$$... If he/she doesn't kill you, you won't bleed out...

Cheers mates,
G

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
44 mag is "more badder" and has greater effect than 10mm.

Reactions: Griff

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Hi JamesB.

Yes.

Paladin2020

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crawfordville, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Army
Pepper spray and bells may be found in bear poop, also the last bear attack was reported to have been shot by a .38 , the owner/Hiker of that .38 was found in the bear, if I remember correctly a second hiker brought the bear down with either a .40 or .45, Rangers in Alaska recommend a rifle or large caliber pistol, ie: S&W .460 or the .500 the .50AE is a good round also. I don't go looking for bears but when I go into the woods I take a fat friend.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
.45-70 is good, but it is a rifle cartridge; the discussion started as a "carry" weapon discussion, as in hand gun discussion. There are more rifle calibers big enough for brown bear, as rifles have far greater velocity compared to a hand gun.