OB Approved - Camping with Firearms | Page 11 | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

OB Approved Camping with Firearms

Discussion in 'Overland Bound Boot Camp' started by Narbob, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Guest, Did you know you can change the look of your Overland Bound forums? At the bottom of this page look for the Style Chooser! All previous and new light and dark themes are available. Pick something you like!
Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. KRGibbs

KRGibbs Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    Work related I swear. (Bouncer)

2. Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85 Rank V

Member #:

Map
    Ive had bear spray blow up in a container and open it with out knowing that it blew up and that was not pleasant. Been pepper sprayed with leo strength stuff. That will make your face feel like it wants to rott off.

3. T.Shack

T.Shack Rank V
    Benefactor Member

Member #:

Map
    Well said! If you carry you must know & comply by the local Laws & regulations!

4. BrothadH2

BrothadH2 Rank I

Map
    I just downloaded the app and love it...great advice!

5. DieselRado

DieselRado Rank 0

Map
    This is a great article and well-said. Especially, considering you may meet up with people along the way who are either not comfortable around firearms or have children... Always be responsible for your firearm, always...

6. Nickzero

Nickzero Rank VI
    Benefactor Member

Member #:

Map
    I second this!

Narbob and DieselRado like this.
  7. ArkansasDon

ArkansasDon Rank III

my wife & I are nomads when overlanding & dispersed camping. Like I mention in my previous post I carry conceal legally. I check all CCW laws in each state before I travel. This is part of a responsible CCW holder, not all CCW laws are the same in all states: some will not recognize your states CCW permit. I like the fact of having security \ protection deep in the wilderness from dangerous animal or 2 legged predator. I've never had to draw or use my weapon & I pray to my Lord GOD I will never have to. But if it comes down to me or the wife's life I will use my weapon to dispatch the predator \ villain w\o hesitation.

Paladin2020, Roam_CO85 and Narbob like this.
  8. offroadinclined

offroadinclined Rank II
    Supporter

Member #:

Map
    Americans can be crazy. I’m thinking of an underseat locking box with pistol. I don’t know. Something to never bring out unless that 1 in a billion chance happens and I have to protect myself of my boys. I don’t know. You can just have a knife, but so you want to be an arms length or farther giving more time to make options.

Narbob likes this.
  9. Cody_Gorsuch

Cody_Gorsuch Rank II

Map
    I always carry. Whether it be on my person or in my truck. Of course make sure you are legal and allowed to do so. I also carry a neck knife anytime I’m on the trails/hiking just Incase. In some cases just carrying can be a deterrent on its own. I hope to never use it but I’d rather have it in the case I do need it.

Roam_CO85 and Narbob like this.
  10. Cody_Gorsuch

Cody_Gorsuch Rank II

Map
    As I am very supportive of keeping your weapons locked up, in the situation you need it right away I would say locked under the seat may not be the best idea. Most self defense situations happen at very close distances with little notice or warning and the last thing you want is to be trying to get under your seat to unlock it in a high stress situation. Always make sure your children are exposed to firearms if you plan to carry and know how dangerous they are and understand how they operate.

offroadinclined, Roam_CO85 and Narbob like this.
  11. Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85 Rank V

Member #:

Map
    #211 Roam_CO85, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

I agree with you!

To the guy that posted above this comment. Things happen pretty fast and to dig for something when a threat appears. Its better to have it on hand..and not need it. Than it is to need it and not have it. Its more or less your comfort level.

But if you do use a weapon to protect you and yours. Hopefully that person has the training that he or she needs to safely work with that platform. A knife is better than nothing saying that. They never run out of ammo and can be pretty damn wicked. If that threat is close enough to go hands on or a knife is deployed things went south pretty quickly.

I carry a utility knife (most often just a multitool) but i don’t carry a defensive blade. My mental triggers dont let someone that is larger than I am or i feel that I couldnt go hands on with in what I call a flight zone. Granted in a crowd of people. Keeping people out of that flight zone is hard. But if I feel a person fits that mental trigger and is to close to me. I make space. Same with an animal... I find the human threat a little more threatening than wildlife. Here Bears are alot like big trash pandas. They will run from you if you come across them ( not always but normally do). For the lions they are tricky because thats like 80 20 chance on them. The younger ones are the spookier of the bunch

Just on monday here in fort collins colorado. A trail runner was attacked by a young mountain lion. The guy was bit in the face and arm but was able to fight back strangle and pop the lion on the head with something and kill it. Hike to his car and drive him self to the ER.

12. Cody_Gorsuch

Cody_Gorsuch Rank II

Map
    Yes. Most importantly if you are going to carry like mentioned above, make sure you are properly trained otherwise you end up putting yourself and others in more danger possibly

offroadinclined and Narbob like this.
  13. JeffPetty

JeffPetty Rank I

A good app for concealed carry laws by state is called. “CCW”. It has an American flag as part of the icon. Not sure if that one was mentioned but for People who travel and have a home state permit it is a handy tool. It was 1.99 on the App Store last time I checked and up dates regularly. Not sure who created it but also has an interactive map showing what states your permit covers you in. You can also click on a state to read the states laws related to firearms.

Paladin2020, Narbob and Roam_CO85 like this.
  14. PFH

PFH Rank 0

Member #:

Map
    Thanks to Narbob for starting this discussion and to all who have expressed so many important points that are involved with this topic. I took the time last evening to go through all the discussion I this now-almost-3 yr-old thread.

Lot's of great info!

Bravo to all for the civility as well. If ever there was a "third rail" topic, this would qualify.

I'm new just this week to OB and am still trying to both navigate the content and figure out how to involve myself. If nothing else, I'm pleased that the respect element pervades here.

Guns are tools. They are also, for some of us, much like kit. We appreciate their use and function and revel in their use, maintenance and repair, and modification. In that way, they are really our toys, no different than the rigs we own and outfit, maintain and repair and modify.

It is an awesome responsibility to take an overland rig into undeveloped "adventure country", to do so with safety and sanity, yet "leave it better than you found it" so that all us who now enjoy the sport can continue to do do. More importantly, so those who will come after us will also have the same opportunity.

With firearms, it is no different. I try to focus on my responsibility with regard to ownership and use of my weapon-tools-toys. I don't impose my use of those tools on anyone else, and prudently avoid drawing attention to them in many cases, because I live in an area and state where more do not understand than there are those that do.

Here's to all of us who are passionately involved in playing with all of our toys and use of all of our tools, SAFELY, respectfully, and most importantly, legally!

Hope to run into some of you as we travel the road of happy destiny!

15. HappyOurOverlanding

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KI7RAM
    Map
    I agree with your sentiment. All tools should be used responsibly.

And welcome to the wonderful world of OB. You'll get around the site in no time at all.

Look to see you on the trails.

Roam_CO85 likes this.