Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Ive had bear spray blow up in a container and open it with out knowing that it blew up and that was not pleasant. Been pepper sprayed with leo strength stuff. That will make your face feel like it wants to rott off.

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

Here we go...the Firearm Safety Certificate study guide from the CA Office of the Attorney General: http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/hscsg.pdf. Includes self tests after each chapter. This link is to the same source but is the summary so it is a quicker read: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/pdf/cfl2016.pdf.

This is an interesting and very quick read, though not sure how to read it from the NFS: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5066182.pdf. I think may need to look up the Cooperative Wildlife Agreement it mentions.

This one is VERY interesting to read: Laws and Regulations in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks -- https://www.nps.gov/seki/learn/management/lawsandpolicies.htm. In part it states, "As of January 1, 2013, California law prohibits the open carry of any firearm within the parks. Persons otherwise permitted to possess firearms (in general) may possess a concealed firearm with a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm (CCW) from California. A CCW from another state does not apply." And, "Weapons (including, but not limited to, BB, Pellet and Paint Guns, Bow/Arrow, Slingshots, Bear Spray (emphasis added) and other compressed gas irritant devices) are illegal to possess (emphasis added). Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances. This also applies to concealed firearms with a valid CCW." this is a guess, but the NP's in CA may have the same or at least similar laws.

I guess you need to read up on the laws before you go to see what the laws are where you are intending to go. Kinda like checking road conditions before a trip.

I'm not trying to hijack a posting, but this is a very serious issue. Understanding firearm laws is, in my opinion, just as important as understanding firearms themselves.
Well said! If you carry you must know & comply by the local Laws & regulations!

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

my wife & I are nomads when overlanding & dispersed camping. Like I mention in my previous post I carry conceal legally. I check all CCW laws in each state before I travel. This is part of a responsible CCW holder, not all CCW laws are the same in all states: some will not recognize your states CCW permit. I like the fact of having security \ protection deep in the wilderness from dangerous animal or 2 legged predator. I've never had to draw or use my weapon & I pray to my Lord GOD I will never have to. But if it comes down to me or the wife's life I will use my weapon to dispatch the predator \ villain w\o hesitation.

offroadinclined

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Moncks Corner, SC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Neacosia
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Veteran
Americans can be crazy. I’m thinking of an underseat locking box with pistol. I don’t know. Something to never bring out unless that 1 in a billion chance happens and I have to protect myself of my boys. I don’t know. You can just have a knife, but so you want to be an arms length or farther giving more time to make options.

Reactions: Narbob

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

I always carry. Whether it be on my person or in my truck. Of course make sure you are legal and allowed to do so. I also carry a neck knife anytime I’m on the trails/hiking just Incase. In some cases just carrying can be a deterrent on its own. I hope to never use it but I’d rather have it in the case I do need it.

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

Americans can be crazy. I’m thinking of an underseat locking box with pistol. I don’t know. Something to never bring out unless that 1 in a billion chance happens and I have to protect myself of my boys. I don’t know. You can just have a knife, but so you want to be an arms length or farther giving more time to make options.
As I am very supportive of keeping your weapons locked up, in the situation you need it right away I would say locked under the seat may not be the best idea. Most self defense situations happen at very close distances with little notice or warning and the last thing you want is to be trying to get under your seat to unlock it in a high stress situation. Always make sure your children are exposed to firearms if you plan to carry and know how dangerous they are and understand how they operate.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

As I am very supportive of keeping your weapons locked up, in the situation you need it right away I would say locked under the seat may not be the best idea. Most self defense situations happen at very close distances with little notice or warning and the last thing you want is to be trying to get under your seat to unlock it in a high stress situation. Always make sure your children are exposed to firearms if you plan to carry and know how dangerous they are and understand how they operate.

I agree with you!

To the guy that posted above this comment. Things happen pretty fast and to dig for something when a threat appears. Its better to have it on hand..and not need it. Than it is to need it and not have it. Its more or less your comfort level.

But if you do use a weapon to protect you and yours. Hopefully that person has the training that he or she needs to safely work with that platform. A knife is better than nothing saying that. They never run out of ammo and can be pretty damn wicked. If that threat is close enough to go hands on or a knife is deployed things went south pretty quickly.

I carry a utility knife (most often just a multitool) but i don’t carry a defensive blade. My mental triggers dont let someone that is larger than I am or i feel that I couldnt go hands on with in what I call a flight zone. Granted in a crowd of people. Keeping people out of that flight zone is hard. But if I feel a person fits that mental trigger and is to close to me. I make space. Same with an animal... I find the human threat a little more threatening than wildlife. Here Bears are alot like big trash pandas. They will run from you if you come across them ( not always but normally do). For the lions they are tricky because thats like 80 20 chance on them. The younger ones are the spookier of the bunch

Just on monday here in fort collins colorado. A trail runner was attacked by a young mountain lion. The guy was bit in the face and arm but was able to fight back strangle and pop the lion on the head with something and kill it. Hike to his car and drive him self to the ER.

Last edited:

JeffPetty

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Rockton Illinois
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petty
Member #

A good app for concealed carry laws by state is called. “CCW”. It has an American flag as part of the icon. Not sure if that one was mentioned but for People who travel and have a home state permit it is a handy tool. It was 1.99 on the App Store last time I checked and up dates regularly. Not sure who created it but also has an interactive map showing what states your permit covers you in. You can also click on a state to read the states laws related to firearms.

PFH

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Moss Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Thanks to Narbob for starting this discussion and to all who have expressed so many important points that are involved with this topic. I took the time last evening to go through all the discussion I this now-almost-3 yr-old thread.

Lot's of great info!

Bravo to all for the civility as well. If ever there was a "third rail" topic, this would qualify.

I'm new just this week to OB and am still trying to both navigate the content and figure out how to involve myself. If nothing else, I'm pleased that the respect element pervades here.

Guns are tools. They are also, for some of us, much like kit. We appreciate their use and function and revel in their use, maintenance and repair, and modification. In that way, they are really our toys, no different than the rigs we own and outfit, maintain and repair and modify.

It is an awesome responsibility to take an overland rig into undeveloped "adventure country", to do so with safety and sanity, yet "leave it better than you found it" so that all us who now enjoy the sport can continue to do do. More importantly, so those who will come after us will also have the same opportunity.

With firearms, it is no different. I try to focus on my responsibility with regard to ownership and use of my weapon-tools-toys. I don't impose my use of those tools on anyone else, and prudently avoid drawing attention to them in many cases, because I live in an area and state where more do not understand than there are those that do.

Here's to all of us who are passionately involved in playing with all of our toys and use of all of our tools, SAFELY, respectfully, and most importantly, legally!

Hope to run into some of you as we travel the road of happy destiny!

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Thanks to Narbob for starting this discussion and to all who have expressed so many important points that are involved with this topic. I took the time last evening to go through all the discussion I this now-almost-3 yr-old thread.

Lot's of great info!

Bravo to all for the civility as well. If ever there was a "third rail" topic, this would qualify.

I'm new just this week to OB and am still trying to both navigate the content and figure out how to involve myself. If nothing else, I'm pleased that the respect element pervades here.

Guns are tools. They are also, for some of us, much like kit. We appreciate their use and function and revel in their use, maintenance and repair, and modification. In that way, they are really our toys, no different than the rigs we own and outfit, maintain and repair and modify.

It is an awesome responsibility to take an overland rig into undeveloped "adventure country", to do so with safety and sanity, yet "leave it better than you found it" so that all us who now enjoy the sport can continue to do do. More importantly, so those who will come after us will also have the same opportunity.

With firearms, it is no different. I try to focus on my responsibility with regard to ownership and use of my weapon-tools-toys. I don't impose my use of those tools on anyone else, and prudently avoid drawing attention to them in many cases, because I live in an area and state where more do not understand than there are those that do.

Here's to all of us who are passionately involved in playing with all of our toys and use of all of our tools, SAFELY, respectfully, and most importantly, legally!

Hope to run into some of you as we travel the road of happy destiny!
I agree with your sentiment. All tools should be used responsibly.

And welcome to the wonderful world of OB. You'll get around the site in no time at all.

Look to see you on the trails.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Personally if I am going to a different state the first thing I do is call the state police and just ask. I would rather have answers from the source than from a book, website etc... that may or may not be completely correct. They will tell you weather or not it is legal to carry where ever you plan on going and camping as well.
Mmm... not always. Sometimes the actual law, and a officers interpretation are different. I will sometimes print out the actual statute as a hedge, (similar to TSA national rules web page/most up to date) when the local TSA airport officer is....WRONG. And you can't rely on a supervisor either in some cases. ATV rules for Nevada and Oregon are different. Also pistol vs revolver will be legal/illegal, depending on how it's loaded, or if your standing next to, or sitting on a ATV.

TacomaDave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

“Listen, Bob. A gun is just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool. A shovel or an axe or a saddle or a stove or anything. Think of it always that way. A gun is as good, and as bad as the man who carries it. Remember that.” - Shane

One of my all-time favorite movie quotes that shaped my philosophy. Just...leaving it here.

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

I just thought I’d chime in a few common themes I’ve found in this thread.

Bear spray vs firearm - why not both? I live in Florida, not really bear county so I’m asking for my own curiosity. I’m sure you need to be pretty close to the bear for bear spray to be affective. If it doesn’t work it sure would be nice to have another option. Kinda like the old saying “two is one, one is none”.

Vehicle carry - weather it be storing the firearm or mounting somewhere for quick access this is usually a bad idea. The first reason is because your vechile is not a gun safe. I’ve seen guns mounted under steering column or in consoles, not good. If you walk into a convenient store, you are now separated from you weapon. Your vehicle is significantly more likely to get broken into than your home, so it’s also a good way to loose your firearm. Installing a gun safe in a vehicle is also not the best idea. You are more likely to need a firearm outside the home than inside. These vehicle safes take significantly longer to access your firearm. Generally when you need a gun you need right the F now.

So how do we balance security of the firearm with quick accessibility? Keep it on you person all the time. I realize some state laws might make this difficult or even impossible, but if you live in a free state, keep your firearm on you. State laws vary to much for my to make a blanket statement on best practices for restricted states.

Less than lethal - under no circumstances should a private citizen use these types of ammo. First of all, this ammo is still potentially lethal. That is why it’s not called non lethal. You will be treated the same in court weather your bullets were rubber, rock salt, or lead. Police officer have professional immunity. Also police officers rarely use LTL without another officer providing lethal cover on the threat. I cannot comment on how effective these round are on bears, but if it works, have a dedicated LTL shotgun painted orange and another shotgun for lead. You need to remove the possibility of mixing up Ammo types.

Reactions: Ghost

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

The firearm vs bear spray argument.... my take on that is if a bear is close enough to me to use bear spray. Ive done something wrong and if at that point I wont be reaching for a spray can. Besides ( and ive seen this) if you use that stuff its going to cloud back at you as well... and if I cant carry in a location and might need bear spray. Probably wont be there. Black bears around here wont bother you much if you use common sense and put your food up and are clean about food prep. they normally run off if you yell at them.. grizzlies or in an area that there is something that might try and kill you thats and area i wont go if I cant carry. Or an ordeal
Where id rather be judged by twelve than carried by six

I had a kimber 1911 stolen out of a vehicle that was left in it for 1.5 where I couldnt carry. Dont leave guns in your vehicle is an understatement!! And off body carry is just as bad as open carry. I carry a fold away in a bag but carry my edc on me

@salt4life. Do you have cats in your area? Im sure gators and such being near the coast. Heard those everglade can have some interesting things to bite stick or stab. Bear spray can have the same legal effect as a weapon around here. Not sure other places. Thats a take on it. Your exactly right. Its Less than lethal. Its not non lethal..

Reactions: Ghost