Crawfordville, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Army
Let me start by saying this is not a pro or anti- gun article. This is about responsibility, safety and a little about the law. As a person who mostly does solo camping in remote areas, I feel comfortable with a gun on or near me to deal with any predators whether they are animal or human. With over 30 years of training and handling various firearms, my preference will always be to diffuse a situation and find the quickest exit. This being said, a firearm may or may not be something you're comfortable with.

Being in California, I can only speak to our state laws. Since Overland Bound crosses many borders, I urge anyone interested in carrying a weapon to check their local and state laws; it’s only a Google away.

When transporting a concealable firearm [handgun] in a vehicle it MUST be kept unloaded in a locked container or vehicle trunk. This means stuffed between the seats, glove box or console is not legal. Anyone with a permit to carry a concealed weapon [CCW] is exempt. Long nonconcealable firearms such as unloaded shotguns and rifles are also exempt. Firearms ARE allowed on BLM land as well as most national parks. As of 2010 guns ARE allowed in all but 20 of the 392 national parks. Yellowstone, Grand Canyon Yosemite are part of the park system that allows firearms. Where they are NOT allowed is the visitor centers and the ranger stations. This is because firearms are not allowed in federal buildings. Also whether it's national forest or parks they mostly fall back on local state laws. However, National Forest land requires firearms be unloaded in a case. There are many exemptions regarding hunting season and too many to list here.

Every firearm should be thought of as a tool and not a toy. If you’re going to take on the responsibility of carrying a firearm there are many things to consider such as your familiarity and proficiency with the particular weapon you carry. If you have any doubts, you should visit one of the many public or private shooting ranges as well as gun stores for advice, many offer firearm safety courses.

Safety is the number one priority without question. Always know the condition of your firearm, is it loaded? [Always assume it is] Is the safety on or off? And most importantly, who’s around you? Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot and keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. If target practicing, know your background. If you’re in a campground or a location with other people and especially kids, keep you firearms locked away and secured. And of course never mix alcohol or drugs with firearms. This includes prescription medication that might alter you mental or physical well-being.

One non-lethal alternative that I highly recommend is pepper spray. This can legally be carried in all 50 states and I can say from experience, it’s very effective. One or two short bursts to the face of any animal or human and they will be at their knees and incapacitated. I can verify this by experience too.

Although I could go on, I’ll close this with know the laws of the location you’re in or traveling to and there’s no substitute for common sense.
There is an ccw app that is kept up to date, just called CCW and it has a hand gun on the American Flag with a shadow of our country.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
There is a lot of good information here, thanks for the thread and the subsequent replies.
BUT depending on how old a post is, what a post says MAY no longer be the case because laws change, federal and state.
SO check for yourself, and NOT with a LEO, they have so much to deal with and so much to know, they may not know what is the case themselves.
Again, check for yourself.
The app Legal Heat seems to be good.

Subzilla

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Big Sky Country
Member #

Their is an app called 50 state code if you do travel with a weapon this could keep you out of trouble! It has the laws for every state, who recognizes who's ccw permits and the particulars of each state. For instance in MT. You CANNOT carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol but you can in all the bordering states. This app updates weekly, a must have imo!

Sent from my P00I using OB Talk mobile app

Subzilla

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Big Sky Country
Member #

Their is an app called 50 state code if you do travel with a weapon this could keep you out of trouble! It has the laws for every state, who recognizes who's ccw permits and the particulars of each state. For instance in MT. You CANNOT carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol but you can in all the bordering states. This app updates weekly, a must have imo!

I can't seem to edit my previous post but the app is called 50 state CCW not code thanks to auto correct...

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
ALSO national carry reciprocity narrowly missed being passed by Congress about 9 years ago.
And in late 2017, the same law passed the House, but now it needs to pass the Senate.

IF you care about this, join the NRA and urge your Congresspersons to pass National CCW Reciprocity so if you travel from state you do not get crossed up with laws being different from state, which is a hazard and some folks have ended up in prison, for very innocent behavior.

Reactions: Griff

JamesB

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Terrell, TX
First Name
James
Last Name
Mosley
Member #

Very good information, I myself have a carry permit and carry everywhere every day. The only time I don't have it on me is at work, it's in my vehicle in a lock box that has a cable attached to my vehicle. Concealed Carry is not for everyone, it does require that you can use that tool if the need arises. I remember the first thing the instructor said when I took the class to get my permit, "your firearm is your last resort" you must first use deescalation tactics, and other forms of self defense. Back away, leave the scene UNLESS your life is in danger. Carrying concealed does not put you into violence, no one should know you are carrying until you have to defend yourself or others with lethal force. On a side note, if you have a permit in your state and want to increase the reciprocity, Utah will issue a non-resident permit that is valid about 35 states. 4 hour training class no shooting required. Although I recommend training if your not already proficient with a hand gun. Also the only hand gun that is actually useful against bear's is the 10mm, anything less your just wasting ammo. In my experience with other animals just making noise works best, and always back away slowly from any animal that seems aggressive, never turn and run, they like the chase

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Griff and tsteb112

Dayle Fields

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Poland, Indiana
Member #

Let me start by saying this is not a pro or anti- gun article. This is about responsibility, safety and a little about the law. As a person who mostly does solo camping in remote areas, I feel comfortable with a gun on or near me to deal with any predators whether they are animal or human. With over 30 years of training and handling various firearms, my preference will always be to diffuse a situation and find the quickest exit. This being said, a firearm may or may not be something you're comfortable with.

Being in California, I can only speak to our state laws. Since Overland Bound crosses many borders, I urge anyone interested in carrying a weapon to check their local and state laws; it’s only a Google away.

When transporting a concealable firearm [handgun] in a vehicle it MUST be kept unloaded in a locked container or vehicle trunk. This means stuffed between the seats, glove box or console is not legal. Anyone with a permit to carry a concealed weapon [CCW] is exempt. Long nonconcealable firearms such as unloaded shotguns and rifles are also exempt. Firearms ARE allowed on BLM land as well as most national parks. As of 2010 guns ARE allowed in all but 20 of the 392 national parks. Yellowstone, Grand Canyon Yosemite are part of the park system that allows firearms. Where they are NOT allowed is the visitor centers and the ranger stations. This is because firearms are not allowed in federal buildings. Also whether it's national forest or parks they mostly fall back on local state laws. However, National Forest land requires firearms be unloaded in a case. There are many exemptions regarding hunting season and too many to list here.

Every firearm should be thought of as a tool and not a toy. If you’re going to take on the responsibility of carrying a firearm there are many things to consider such as your familiarity and proficiency with the particular weapon you carry. If you have any doubts, you should visit one of the many public or private shooting ranges as well as gun stores for advice, many offer firearm safety courses.

Safety is the number one priority without question. Always know the condition of your firearm, is it loaded? [Always assume it is] Is the safety on or off? And most importantly, who’s around you? Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot and keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. If target practicing, know your background. If you’re in a campground or a location with other people and especially kids, keep you firearms locked away and secured. And of course never mix alcohol or drugs with firearms. This includes prescription medication that might alter you mental or physical well-being.

One non-lethal alternative that I highly recommend is pepper spray. This can legally be carried in all 50 states and I can say from experience, it’s very effective. One or two short bursts to the face of any animal or human and they will be at their knees and incapacitated. I can verify this by experience too.

Although I could go on, I’ll close this with know the laws of the location you’re in or traveling to and there’s no substitute for common sense.
Thank you for all this info it was very helpful.

Reactions: Narbob

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

When transporting a concealable firearm [handgun] in a vehicle it MUST be kept unloaded in a locked container or vehicle trunk. This means stuffed between the seats, glove box or console is not legal.
Excellent points here as this info can certainly vary from one state to another. Virginia is an Open Carry state. As long as you can legally own a gun, you can put it in a visible holster and go most anywhere you like, without any sort of permit or registration. I see at least one new person a day carrying in this method and do so myself from time to time. Also, a gun in the glovebox is legal in VA.

The patchwork of laws regarding concealed weapons is a net that catches up far too many law-abiding but ill-informed people. Between my VA resident permit and my UT non-resident permit, I can carry legally in 39 states. It is folly to suggest that I might not behave myself similarly in the other 11 states, and it is wholly unjust that knowing which side you're on of an invisible line should make a difference in your legal standing.

What we need is national reciprocity that makes carry permits accepted throughout the country, just like a driver's license.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

as CCW carrier I carry were ever it is legally so. One thing to remember is concealed carry permits are recognized on a state by state basis. So when I travel I make sure what laws are what before I leave so when I cross over state lines that are NOT CCW friendly, as a responsible CCW follow that states laws. Ignorantia juris non excusat is what it means "ignorance of law excuses no one".
This summer my wife & I are leaving on our 1st vacation in almost 15 years. Were going to travel the southern Appalachian's & take our time doing so & I'll follow all CCW laws their

Lastly to what state honor your CCW is "your: responsibility. 37 state honor Arkansas's CCW premits.

Reactions: Narbob

Griff

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I don't like things like this. It creates a "different class of citizen" which somehow holds more rights than others.
Kevin,
Please look at this from another angle of approach... It really isn't a "Class" thing...it's a "Choice" thing.

I heard folks here say it's a tool... What makes a skilled craftsman? Mastery of his tools... Muscle memory...no matter what his tool of choice is makes a significant difference in any task.

Today, the ramifications are significant, no matter where you are in the USA, even if justified in saving even a single life while using a weapon. In twenty one years of service I never had to pull the trigger. I pray I never have to in retirement. But if by presenting an aggressor with a demonstrated appearance that this could be his last act, I am giving the bad actor a choice...

We that have served are covered by HR218...but today we still have to have situational awareness to know we can be locked up for being a Sheep Dog among the Lambs.

Cheers mates,
G

P.S. When seconds count...law enforcement are minutes away...

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I won't argue that it could be a tool. If the police have followed the law been responsible with these special rights, it would be a foundation upon which to argue for national reciprocity on our way back to Constitutional carry. The main issue I see, other than awarding rights to some and not all, is that statistically, CHP-holders are even more law-abiding than police.

JamesB

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Terrell, TX
First Name
James
Last Name
Mosley
Member #

I don't like things like this. It creates a "different class of citizen" which somehow holds more rights than others.
I'm not sure I understand your thought process about how you think it makes a "different class of citizen" how does carrying a firearm give me any rights that you don't have? You have the right to bear arms the same as anyone else (as long as your not a felon or prohibited for any other reason) the fact that you choose not to doesn't give me any rights that you don't have. The only advantage that I have over you is that I will never be a victim. But again that is the choice that your entitled to make. Firearms are not for everyone, and I don't believe everyone should carry but for the ones that choose to doesn't make them any different class of citizen. But I can guarantee you this if your ever in fear of your safety your going to to 2 very simple things, 1st your going to call someone who has a gun. 2nd your going to pray they get there in time.

Griff

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

If the police have followed the law been responsible with these special rights, it would be a foundation upon which to argue for national reciprocity on our way back to Constitutional carry.
Not sure I follow your logic here Kevin. HR218 isn't just about Police... You may want to google it my friend....

JamesB nailed it above... "Firearms are not for everyone."

A really bad actor can sense whether you have what it takes...that's why we train... HR218 provides for the Sheep Dogs out there... Here is a quick read for anyone considering stepping up...

On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman

http://mwkworks.com/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html

Cheers mates,
G

"The question remains: What is worth defending? What is worth dying for? What is worth living for?" William J. Bennett - in a lecture to the United States Naval Academy November 24, 1997

Reactions: Winterpeg

JamesB

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Terrell, TX
First Name
James
Last Name
Mosley
Member #

Not sure I follow your logic here Kevin. HR218 isn't just about Police... You may want to google it my friend....

JamesB nailed it above... "Firearms are not for everyone."

A really bad actor can sense whether you have what it takes...that's why we train... HR218 provides for the Sheep Dogs out there... Here is a quick read for anyone considering stepping up...

On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman

http://mwkworks.com/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html

Cheers mates,
G

"The question remains: What is worth defending? What is worth dying for? What is worth living for?" William J. Bennett - in a lecture to the United States Naval Academy November 24, 1997
Your right about that a bad actor can tell if you have what it takes or not. Just like a dog can sense fear in a person. And training is very important. Dry fire practice, aiming with both eyes open, muscle memory. What good is that tool if when it's needed you can't follow through or hit the target. CCW is a whole lifestyle change, situational awareness, conflict resolution and learning when to walk away and when to stand and fight. Thanks Griff for the input.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding