Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Terrell, TX
First Name
James
Last Name
Mosley
Member #

Can not. Firearms are not allowed at any National Park.
That statement is false. A concealed firearm is allowed in some national parks, just not inside any building or structure within the park, that includes restrooms. Because they are considered federal buildings. But in the park itself they are allowed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
That statement is false. A concealed firearm is allowed in some national parks, just not inside any building or structure within the park, that includes restrooms. Because they are considered federal buildings. But in the park itself they are allowed.

The law in 2010 changed, however it is posted at both entrances that firearms are prohibited at The GCNP.

JamesB

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Terrell, TX
First Name
James
Last Name
Mosley
Member #

The law in 2010 changed, however it is posted at both entrances that firearms are prohibited at The GCNP.
Ok. That may be well and true for the Grand Canyon. But your comment states firearms are not allowed at ANY national park. Which is false as I previously explained.

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

Wait a minute, a quick google search talks about the law changes, that anyone legal to possess under fed and local law can possess in this park now, almost like it changed so you can now when you couldn’t before.
FIREARMS ARE ALLOWED IN GCNP.

JamesB

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Terrell, TX
First Name
James
Last Name
Mosley
Member #

Wait a minute, a quick google search talks about the law changes, that anyone legal to possess under fed and local law can possess in this park now, almost like it changed so you can now when you couldn’t before.
FIREARMS ARE ALLOWED IN GCNP.
Yeah I researched it further after my last post. They are allowed in GCNP. The sign he's referring to is likely a sign for one of the buildings in the park where firearms are not allowed.

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

I apply the “I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6” in these situations.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Paladin2020

Paladin2020

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crawfordville, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Army
Firearms in National Parks
Possession of Firearms in National Park Units
In areas administered by the National Park Service, an individual can possess a firearm if that individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm and if the possession of the firearm complies with the laws of the state where the park area is located. 54 U.S.C. 104906.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable Federal, state and local firearms laws and regulations, including laws authorizing or prohibiting concealed carry, before entering a national park. Some parks are located in more than one state or locality which means that the applicable laws may change depending upon where you are located within a park area.

If a park is located in a jurisdiction where the applicable state and local laws grant reciprocity to non-resident firearm owners, then consistent with the applicable law, the park will equally recognize the reciprocity. For information on state and local laws, please contact the state and locality where the park is located.
Possession of Firearms in Federal Facilities
Unless expressly authorized, Federal law prohibits the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon in NPS facilities. These buildings include, but are not limited to, government offices, visitor centers, ranger stations, fee collection buildings, and maintenance facilities. 18 U.S.C. 930.
Use of Firearms
Unless authorized, the use or discharge of a firearm within a park area is prohibited. 36 CFR 2.4(b) and 13.30(c). In parks where hunting is specifically mandated or authorized by federal statute, firearms may be used to hunt in accordance with NPS regulations and state laws. 36 CFR 2.2.

Visitors should not consider firearms as protection from wildlife.
More Information
The information provided on this page provides a general overview of the rules about firearms across the National Park System. If you have questions about the firearm rules in a particular park, please contact that park for more information prior to visiting.

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Are you prepared in the out back, many miles from help, or are you not concerned?
Glock 19X.jpg

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
One cannot "carry" in some states, as well as in some locations within carry states; it gets dicey. Additionally, when I crossed into Canada they asked me if I had bear spray, which is not legal to carry into Canada, even though you can go right to an outfitter store in Canada after Canadian border patrol takes your bear spray, and purchase more!
And having bear spray is ESSENTIAL if you are camping, and is the most effective defense against bears as well as other critters such as aggressive raccoons, skunks or whatever, 2 or 4 footed.
SO what to do?
Carry Raid Wasp & Hornet Spray, it's cheap, it is not bear spray so not an issue for customs, and it shoots 20 feet against ALL kinds of critters, and is VERY effective :-)
See
https://www.raid.com/en-us/products/raid-wasp-and-hornet-killer-33

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Out of curiosity, how does this thread differ from the "camping with firearms thread?" (I only ask because my response was moved to that thread, so I am not sure what to discuss here :) .

TheNWrockstar

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Out of curiosity, how does this thread differ from the "camping with firearms thread?" (I only ask because my response was moved to that thread, so I am not sure what to discuss here :) .
I am unsure, possibly a bot moved it due to your content? Again not sure. but would like to know what it was you had?