Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yeah figure organization and taking my time will be a big part of it. You think a 600 cfm holley would be better? or any other recommendations more "bang for your buck" style carb? the 390 is just too pricey for this project
One 500 holly is adequate, gas mileage comes from jet size, so does horsepower. When I had my 300 six I ran 3 -2 smallest two barrel Holley or 3- one barrel (I forgot the name, I think Stromberg) with a Dempsey Wilson 707 off road cam, steel timing gears, a good three single valve job. Port matched to gaskets on both the intake and exhaust that I did myself. Then a good set of Clifford headers and manifold (I made my own intake manifold out of exhaust pipe with a log type distribution on top of the intake runners.

By the way Clifford also sells a manifold that accepts 3- 2 barrel Webber carbs. I dont know but the late model 300 sixes may have had fuel injection. The Aussie's have things for the Ford six that are unbelievably good.

Reactions: old_man

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
If you are new to carburetor tuning and fiddling, I would go with the Edelbrock Performer 1404 (Carter AFB). These carbs have been around for 50+ years, they are simple, no side hung bowls that want to leak, easy to tune, etc. Are there better "High Performance" carbs out there, yes, but this will give you all the performance that 300I6 has to offer. Best of all, Summit has them for under $400. I have used them and had great success. The 1404 of 500CFM and should be all the carb you need.
Edelbrocks are good to go. I always forget about them being raised by an old school hot rodder and being into small displacement import engines...

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
One 500 holly is adequate, gas mileage comes from jet size, so does horsepower. When I had my 300 six I ran 3 -2 smallest two barrel Holley or 3- one barrel (I forgot the name, I think Stromberg) with a Dempsey Wilson 707 off road cam, steel timing gears, a good three single valve job. Port matched to gaskets on both the intake and exhaust that I did myself. Then a good set of Clifford headers and manifold (I made my own intake manifold out of exhaust pipe with a log type distribution on top of the intake runners.

By the way Clifford also sells a manifold that accepts 3- 2 barrel Webber carbs. I dont know but the late model 300 sixes may have had fuel injection. The Aussie's have things for the Ford six that are unbelievably good.
Yeah starting in 89 (?) the 300 was fuel injected. I think they also got a slightly better flowing cylinder head with the fuel injection. As far as carb size goes, theres only so much that tuning can do. You can run as much carb as you want, but if the carb isnt sized to the engine it will never run up to its potential. Those 3 single barrel Strombergs probably didnt flow any more CFMs than the Carter that it came with at 200 or so. Strombergs are honestly poorly performing carbs, really only good for period correct builds. The super small 2bbl Holleys were only 140s and went up to I think 200, so you were still not far off from what I consider to be the sweet spot for these engines of about 400CFMs. Though I will admit this number is largely a guess as I have never had a 300-6 on a dyno...
The sixes that the Ausies run have nothing in common with the 240/300, they are their own animal, but are amazing. I have seen some putting out 500hp, in daily driven rigs. Australians are crazy.
Also to add: The 500CFM Holley will run and run well on a mild 300, thats what I had on mine. But I wish I had gone for a 390 Holley or a 38mm 2bbl Webber, I really do think it would have run better.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yeah starting in 89 (?) the 300 was fuel injected. I think they also got a slightly better flowing cylinder head with the fuel injection. As far as carb size goes, theres only so much that tuning can do. You can run as much carb as you want, but if the carb isnt sized to the engine it will never run up to its potential. Those 3 single barrel Strombergs probably didnt flow any more CFMs than the Carter that it came with at 200 or so. Strombergs are honestly poorly performing carbs, really only good for period correct builds. The super small 2bbl Holleys were only 140s and went up to I think 200, so you were still not far off from what I consider to be the sweet spot for these engines of about 400CFMs. Though I will admit this number is largely a guess as I have never had a 300-6 on a dyno...
The sixes that the Ausies run have nothing in common with the 240/300, they are their own animal, but are amazing. I have seen some putting out 500hp, in daily driven rigs. Australians are crazy.
Also to add: The 500CFM Holley will run and run well on a mild 300, thats what I had on mine. But I wish I had gone for a 390 Holley or a 38mm 2bbl Webber, I really do think it would have run better.
The engines I built were almost a copy of the engine Ak Miller built for the Mustang he built that set many records at salt flats in the 70's. I think an article can be found on internet about his accomplishments with the Ford 300 six.
You just cant beat that engine. Ak Miller was a Ford engineer if I'm not mistaken.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

How about a junkyard swap of a TBI ? Super simple , no tuning needed , remember reading a arrival on a swap on a old jeep I 6 . It Just needS a o2 sensor and a map sensor

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
The engines I built were almost a copy of the engine Ak Miller built for the Mustang he built that set many records at salt flats in the 70's. I think an article can be found on internet about his accomplishments with the Ford 300 six.
You just cant beat that engine. Ak Miller was a Ford engineer if I'm not mistaken.
AK Miller worked with the 200-6 wich was the base engine in the mustang, completely different from the 300 and 240 wich is at its core an industrial engine.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AK Miller worked with the 200-6 wich was the base engine in the mustang, completely different from the 300 and 240 wich is at its core an industrial engine.
The 67 and up Mustang's had the 240 six. All taxi's had the 300 six as well as f100 and f150 and above. Yes they were used as industrial engines because of their 4" stroke and tons of torque that working engines needed. The base engine in the falcon was the 200 ci. There may have been 200 ci engines in the 64,65 and 66 Mustang's I believe.

Reactions: Dilldog

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
The 67 and up Mustang's had the 240 six. All taxi's had the 300 six as well as f100 and f150 and above. Yes they were used as industrial engines because of their 4" stroke and tons of torque that working engines needed. The base engine in the falcon was the 200 ci. There may have been 200 ci engines in the 64,65 and 66 Mustang's I believe.
That's right the car sixes did go up to 240, still a totally different engine from the truck 240 and 300. I will admit I had no idea that the "big block" sixes were ever run in any car body.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That's right the car sixes did go up to 240, still a totally different engine from the truck 240 and 300. I will admit I had no idea that the "big block" sixes were ever run in any car body.
A 240 is a 240 in every application. The only difference between 240 and a 300 six is the crank shaft on a 300 six has a longer stroke (4"). The 300's had a forged steel crank and steel timing gear versus the fiber gear on the 240. Actually the 240 head on a 300 upped the compression ratio by half a point and late model 300's had a different exhaust manifold. I built and raced these engines in the 60's and 70's so I know a little about them.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The other small six Ford put in falcons and some Mustang's was the stroked 200 engine and it came out with 250 c.I, not 240.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
A 240 is a 240 in every application. The only difference between 240 and a 300 six is the crank shaft on a 300 six has a longer stroke (4"). The 300's had a forged steel crank and steel timing gear versus the fiber gear on the 240. Actually the 240 head on a 300 upped the compression ratio by half a point and late model 300's had a different exhaust manifold. I built and raced these engines in the 60's and 70's so I know a little about them.
Well there ya go, thanks for learnen me Jim!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Well there ya go, thanks for learnen me Jim!
Dillon, I want to build another Ford 300 six so bad I'm thinking about building one and put it in my old 67 International (ugh) since I dont own any old Ford's anymore. There should be a ton of them in the wrecking yards since Ford (Cleveland plant, same as the 351 Cleveland v-8's) built them from 1964 until 1996. I saw a 300 six bell housing and flywheel in my storage yesterday I had forgotten I still have. Good luck with your build I like hearing about your progress on it. I miss my old 70 Ford short bed 300 six with 4 speed manual floor and granny gear that I bought from an Indian reservation auction for $500 bucks. Everything was worn out on that old truck but it came with a brand new 300 six .

ollovertheplace

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Battle Ground, WA, USA
First Name
Oliver
Last Name
Niebur
Member #

If you ever want to head into the hills or need wrenching help hit me up. I’m just up in battle ground and it looks like you’re in salmon creek. Awesome looking build!
haha I appreciate that! Def will be taking you up on both of those at some point. You know any good trails out here? I stumbled upon one fire road "L-1200A" (i think) which had an incredible view of St. Helens!

Also be warned...going out into the hills with me in the truck...well it always runs the possibility of a break down *knocks on wood frantically* but im still game if you are! I just want to get my engine running mo betta first
Google map “Silver Star Trailhead” and navigate you it. It will bring you into a massive series of logging trails, some disused to the point of being overgrown. I’ve been exploring the mountains out here for a while and can find a new two track almost every time I go out. Just need to make sure to have a discovery pass in your truck

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I completely forgot about the Motorcraft carbs. A 2100 2bbl would be the perfect carb for a 300. AMC Jeep V8s ran them as did obviously tons of Fords.
A four barrel will give you better gas mileage on the road than a two barrel. Then when you need power you have it in the four barrel. I prefer the manual double pumper to the vacuum model but the vacuum model will do the job.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra

I love Clifford. I am a long time 6 cylinder hot rod'er. I made my 200ci 1967 mustang put out 450 hp after boring, stroking, dry sump, roller cam, Clifford header, 3 side draft webers on a manifold I built with a plenum box, waste gate, and a Paxton Blower, water/methanol intake injecton. Spent several hours talking to old man Clifford. Sorry to say his is no longer with us. Just calculated that was 52 years ago. Crap...I'm getting old.

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

It's been a while but I finally got back to working on the truck! Wanted a new bumper but nothing on the after market sites had a lower profile bumper that I liked so I went the custom route and built one myself. My requirements were simple: low profile, room for a winch (hopefully coming soon), and decent fog lights. For a first time bumper build I am pleased with how it turned out!
Unknown-2.jpeg Unknown-1.jpeg

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

Nice work. I love the simplicity. Just remember why you bought it!

If it was me I’d keep it as simple as possible (as I dive off the deep end )
Its a good point haha I will admit I have slightly modified my rules for it.

The drivetrain must remain stock. Only fixing things when they break. Outside of that though I am okay with it as long as I am learning something while doing it. Welding the bumper was a good lesson in welding thick metal and making it fit the truck with tight tolerances. Plus now I actually have lights that allow me to see in the dark haha. That being said I really do appreciate the "keep it simple" reminder because its so easy to get lost in the weeds with projects like this :sweatsmile: which I still am trying to avoid (though its a battle I'm losing)