Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Nice. Looks like he's driving the diesel like me. That thing has a great low end torque. Looks like hes not using the front lockers with how the tires are turning. I love your rig by the way. Keep up the additions. The Z71 has a lot of great options that don't come with the ZR2. Have you thought about investing in the DSSV shocks that chevy is offering now in its performance parts?
What!

I had no idea that there were some DSSV shocks being offered by Chevy now for my Z71. I will def. read up on that later and post up the links if I find them. Shocks are one of the few things I was thinking of doing some day (maybe).

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Rear Tow Package Shackle

I just put one on order. Reason being is that the rear is missing this Very important piece of recovery gear.

The front already has two high quality tow hooks that are actually bolted directly to the frame (Some other brands tend to have wielded on hooks that tend to tear off of the frame at some point). They are good to go and will totally work for when being recovered.

However, I never plan to use the front hooks when recovering someone else. Using reverse gear to recover someone else is a great way to destroy diffs, transfer cases, etc. Since the gearsets inside of those gearboxes have their teeth oriented in a certain direction to maximize strength when going forward. This just happens to weaken those same gears when going in reverse.

Having a shackle hanging out of my rear tow package will both aid in the recovery of myself or other vehicles... and act as a protective "stinger" hanging out of the tow package on my truck. Which is already the lowest part of the rear bumper. These are highly functional... and affordable too!

This is a link to the one I just put on order. The protective cover on the D-ring is actually black instead of yellow though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy P

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
What things to prioritize during a build???

Here is a link to a vid of a guy with a lot of experience on the subject.

It seems that I am on a good path (for my needs). My truck came with a rear locker that is automatic and low maintenance. The Z71 trim comes with a Nitrogen shock upgrade. Added basic off road protection that protects while still allowing for easy general maintenance while keeping added weight to a minimum. I am about to finish installing the final bit for recovery points. I have the proper tire deflating/inflating/repair kits. First aid kit GTG. Extended diff, T-case, and Trans breather tubes already installed from the factory.

No suspension upgrades planned until after the final build with a shake down run to two. Likely won't be needed since I will likely be below 1/2 of the max payload rating.

I do need up upgrade the spare tire.

Last edited:

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
New EAG 2" Hitch Shackle has arrived and is installed.

I put a coating of Fluid Film between all moving parts and stuck her on. Hand tightened the shackle and then backed it off 1/4 turn before throwing on a test ziptie. That should both keep it from vibrating out when on long rough trails... and keep it from seizing up after hard use. I don't want those two pieces to fly through someone's windshield @70mph while they are also going and additional 70mph in the opposite direction!

She is much more flush than I had hoped. That is great! I hate hitting my shin on the tow ball when I have it installed.

I will likely remove it in a week or two after the fluid film layer thickens up. Then throw it under the back seat. I will just install before each trip. I can now comfortably drive on the beach without worry so long as I remember the shovel and a long board or two.

I don’t really like the yellow cover.

This thing is HD!!! Made from a solid piece... I hear some are hollow inside. Should take years of beatings out on the trail.

IMG_0943.JPG
IMG_0944.JPG
IMG_0945.JPG
IMG_0946.JPG

Last edited:

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
I currently drive a Jeep GC but miss the ease of having a truck bed. I have been looking very hard at a Z71. Your posts here have been really helpful in my decision making. I just think I might wait until any info is released on the 2020's. Thanks for letting us follow along with your build, can't wait to read about your plans for the bed.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I currently drive a Jeep GC but miss the ease of having a truck bed. I have been looking very hard at a Z71. Your posts here have been really helpful in my decision making. I just think I might wait until any info is released on the 2020's. Thanks for letting us follow along with your build, can't wait to read about your plans for the bed.

That really makes my day. Knowing that I have helped out in some way. Thank you!

It has been a good learning experience for me so far on my vehicle. Might as well share the knowledge/power and make a single point for links to navigate through for myself and others while I am at it!

I have multiple potential paths in mind for the direction to take my bed build. I am currently weighting the pros/cons that each path will take me. First step on that path will be wither to go with just a strait bed/cargo rack, a sealed metal bed cover (Diamondback) with a short rack (most likely), or a fiberglass/or aluminum A.R.E. bed cap. Which is honestly the bed cap that would best suite my specific needs... I just don't like the look/cost/potential weak points/and loss of visibility out of the rear window. I DO want an awning of some sort. One with a mosquito room option. (There are some great/crazy ideas on how to mount a awning on a Diamondback in my head!!!)

I will have to make my decision soon. I am almost done saving up for the purchase. After the install I will then begin to outfit for trips. I plan to take the kids to Yellowstone this Summer break. I will want to be able to cook and store cool/dry goods and water along with all of the camping gear. I do have a good amount of gear already. I will just need to refine it into a working vehicle based system.

We are doing some side shoots on the way to/back from Yellowstone... which also have to be planned out. The kids are either going to love or hate trips after this! lol

Reactions: Marman

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I am putting this trail on my list for the trip this Summer. I will make a list and then narrow it down. My truck in it's current form is plenty good for this trail. I will just have to keep an eye out for the rear bumper on some obstacles.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Iconic Metal Gear

I think I found the ultimate overland option for gear storage in the bed. Everything this company makes is from marine grade metal and minimal 1/8" thick! Which means everything is also very HEAVY. However, not only will it last a decade or two on the truck... but you can pull it off of your truck when you sell it and put it on to the next one! The poly material options that most companies are offering right now will break down over time in the sun. For now I will assume that all of their options are out of my range. One day though... one day!

I particularly like the drop-in bed box. If I had a garage with an overhead hoist... I could pull it from the bed and still have a usable truck. Then just drop it in and go when a trip comes up. That would be awesome.

The side boxes have some really nice features as well. I would still be able to slide my fishing kayak into the bed even with them installed. Not bad!

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Diamondback Bed Cover:

Well… I bit the bullet and put a Diamondback SE along with TB inserts on order for my truck. I have been deliberating which route to go for a while now... since before I bought the truck actually.

It should be in the mail before March 8th... which is little ways down the road (probably won't have it in time for my trip to the Outer Banks on the 11th). They have to hand make/coat it.

The funds have been pulled from my account. Free Shipping though. No install fees either since I will be installing it myself.

The pic below is what it should look like on my truck. I will take pics and go deeper on it after the install. This will be the best all-around cargo management solution for my particular needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy P

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Here is another great review of 3 of my favorite 4 mid size trucks being compared. Honestly they left a ton out in all three trucks but gave a gist of each trucks flavor.

The Taco is a TRD Off Road
The Rado is a Z71 like mine
The Anger is a FX4 I think

I didn’t realize that the Colorado has better flex ratings than the Tacoma! Knew about the worse angles though.

Kind of bugged me to hear them mention twice that the Colorado did not have a locker though. It does... just not selectable. I prefer the auto locking one on my truck though. Just kicks in in its own without having to either keep it on... or stop and lose momentum.

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

Thanks for posting this build thread. I’m new and am researching a rig with the Z71 high on my list. I was leaning toward the Ford at first, but it’s really a toss up until I go out and test drive them. I was a little concerned about the automatic locking rear, but it sounds like you prefer this. Clearance issues were second for me but I’m not sure how much I’ll actually need for my trips. I’m also considering a used ZR2 as well.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

The Tacoma has better articulation than the Colorado. They tested this on TFL Truck too. Their test was pretty instructive. What a terrible showing for the Ranger huh? I had high hopes for it not knowing they didn't update anything except the engine and trans.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
What!

I had no idea that there were some DSSV shocks being offered by Chevy now for my Z71. I will def. read up on that later and post up the links if I find them. Shocks are one of the few things I was thinking of doing some day (maybe).
The GMPP DSSV shocks are a long travel made for the ZR2 only, the mounting is different. You would be better off with a quality coil over that allows you to adjust ride height.

Reactions: JCWages and great08

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Here is another great review of 3 of my favorite 4 mid size trucks being compared. Honestly they left a ton out in all three trucks but gave a gist of each trucks flavor.

The Taco is a TRD Off Road
The Rado is a Z71 like mine
The Anger is a FX4 I think

I didn’t realize that the Colorado has better flex ratings than the Tacoma! Knew about the worse angles though.

Kind of bugged me to hear them mention twice that the Colorado did not have a locker though. It does... just not selectable. I prefer the auto locking one on my truck though. Just kicks in in its own without having to either keep it on... or stop and lose momentum.

Edmund reviews are....well I'll say the are geared for mall crawlers, they always compare apples to oranges.. Look at the stuff that The Fast Lane Truck puts out.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Thanks for posting this build thread. I’m new and am researching a rig with the Z71 high on my list. I was leaning toward the Ford at first, but it’s really a toss up until I go out and test drive them. I was a little concerned about the automatic locking rear, but it sounds like you prefer this. Clearance issues were second for me but I’m not sure how much I’ll actually need for my trips. I’m also considering a used ZR2 as well.
Sounds like you are having a hard time choosing and I cannot blame you. It really is a massive candy story out there right now and we are the excited kids! lol

I do wish that they would do all of these tests with say 800lbs in the bed. Typically a trucks suspension settles down and everything changes once you get a load in it(some trucks get way better and some trucks get way worse). Which is really important for us overlanders. Usually if you hear a reviewer stating how "harsh" a truck suspension is... then the following is what I hear in my mind. "This truck suspension is tuned more for work than the other trucks". Usually the harsh riding ones ride the best when under heavy load. Which may be an awesome thing for an overlander who can actually load up a vehicle with protection and gear without needing to change the suspension.

I once had over 1k lbs in the back of my old 05' Chevy Colorado. That thing went from having a pretty harsh ride... to riding like a Cadillac! It even handled better in corners! Who would have thought. It was built for work. (Something that "professional reviewers" usually forget about/forget to test).

One way to possibly narrow down your final pick is to make a list of needs and a list of wants. Prioritize what is most important/useful on a daily basis. That may help a good bit. I for instance prioritized the following

-Truck Bed required
-Driver seat adjustability/comfort (My back is going bad and I commute for 2.5hrs total every day) The Z71 seat adjusts high off of the floor, has lumbar adjust, and the steering wheel telescopes a long ways from the dash (which REALLY helps on those 8hr trip days!).
-Large Rear Cab for the 2 kids in car seats
-Decent fuel economy
-Can handle 800 to 1000lbs of weight in the bed, plus armor, Plus my family of 4
-True 4wd with at least a rear locker
-Good fuel range

As for the Ranger's weird folding rear seat... I would not care. I have car seats in mine. AKA they never get folded. If I just had dog or something I would like the other two trucks better. I do like the Colorado's bed most because it is so deep/more storage room. Downside is that the rear shocks had to be moved/lowered to keep the flex high when off-road.

I would still look at the Ranger if I were you. I bet it will be a great truck as long as it meets your needs. All three of them handled that trail without a problem. I would not be worried too much about ground clearance since they are all pretty close. The Tacoma and the Colorado have aftermarket skid options available already to where you can cover everything with armor. I would add armor before making suspension adjustments anyways. If you have not noticed yet most folks do suspension first... then add everything to their vehicles... then have to do the suspension again. That is a huge waste/mistake IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: jplemons

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
The Tacoma has better articulation than the Colorado. They tested this on TFL Truck too. Their test was pretty instructive. What a terrible showing for the Ranger huh? I had high hopes for it not knowing they didn't update anything except the engine and trans.
I agree. The TFL truck guys are the BEST I have ever seen. They are so much better tuned into their audience.

I tried to find the TFL truck flex test video. All I could find was the one where they tested the Nissan, Dodge, Toyota, and GM Full size trucks in a flex test.

I think that the Ranger may end up being a little better under load for the ride quality. A little refinement will likely happen over the next year or two. Should be a pretty darn good truck long term though. That being said I am super happy with my Colorado so far.

I did find this different review from pickuptrucks.com. They also stated that the Colorado has greater flex than the Tacoma during the hill climb. This is going to drive me nuts until I find the actual specs! lol (though I know that both are good enough/work).

<iframe src='' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

Last edited:

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
The GMPP DSSV shocks are a long travel made for the ZR2 only, the mounting is different. You would be better off with a quality coil over that allows you to adjust ride height.
I currently have no plans to change the suspension until I put the stock suspension through it's paces first under load.

After that comment I did do a good search for around 30mins and could not find what he was talking about. I did find the OEM Racing division parts list. But those super version of the DSSVs were also only made for the ZR2 suspension.