Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Ok that's all great conversation . Any idea about trash keeping in camp site overnight? So food can be store in fridge or cooler it's all good, but trash. We are got creative with the food so smell of meat package is definitely brings bear to attention. So most of us has the trash bag on rear over the wheel or hanging something . Anyone has good idea if there is a war proof barrel that fit into trash bag ?
Rope and hang it high in a tree, but not close to your camp site.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

Just came back from 800 plus miles up the Continental divide trail (road). yes to carry. pistol and truck gun (ar 15). one night we didn't have issues with bears.. we had issues with a pack of coyotes! I used my nigh vision setting on a camera I had and used a laser on the rifle to make a precision (non-lethal) shot in the ground 2 feet in front of what seemed to be the leader of the pack.... they left. trash is an issue on long trips and we burn consumables / burn then bag cans etc.. thankfully in a full size rig you have the space to compress stuff in.

bear bells don't work in Yellowstone.. a rifle does. fyi. bear spray is ok. until it goes off in the truck which has happened twice before no matter how many safeties are on the damn can. lol

OverlandOzzy1

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Durham, NC, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Osborn
Member #

I carry concealed everyday. When I go camping I pack my 300 Blackout AR Pistol or my AK Pistol and head out to wherever I plan to explore. Doesn't matter where I go, I'm far more concerned about 2 legged predators than I am 4 legged animals.

Reactions: 19mystic96

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

I carry concealed everyday. When I go camping I pack my 300 Blackout AR Pistol or my AK Pistol and head out to wherever I plan to explore. Doesn't matter where I go, I'm far more concerned about 2 legged predators than I am 4 legged animals.
blackout suppressed or non? I have a 11in integral that's a hoot to shoot (pistol). I'm looking at the Tavor for a truck gun.

OverlandOzzy1

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Durham, NC, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Osborn
Member #

blackout suppressed or non? I have a 11in integral that's a hoot to shoot (pistol). I'm looking at the Tavor for a truck gun.
It's a BCM upper on an Aero Precision Lower, I can shoot it either way. 95% of the time I leave the can on it. It's an 8" upper so it fits in a backpack perfectly. and If i get out to hike somewhere I'll take it with me. Weighs next to nothing.

Reactions: The Roach ...

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Yeah... dogs in packs scare me. Wolves, coyotes, etc.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

they only bother me when they circle you and do the low stalk. or we wouldn't have put a shot out. I prefer NOT to bother wildlife and try everything NOT to kill one if it can be avoided. sometimes.. that doesn't work out.

now that comment does not include feral hogs.... those have a kill on site order around these parts. and we do. lol

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

Yeah last weekend I had coyotes come out the the truck while I’m The thent. If I had seen then before I went into it with my nods I probably would have shot some but oh well. After that I’m not super worried about coyotes anymore though but I do camp with my BCM suppresses 11.5 AR and it goes up into the tent at night.

TacoMacs

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Louisville, KY, USA
First Name
DarinAndJen
Last Name
TacoMacs
Member #

Absolutely. A firearm on my side, concealed. If I don't take my AR-15 with plenty of of those pesky 30 round magazines topped off, then I typically always keep an AKM (AK47 variant, SAM7SF 7.62x39mm) with plenty of full magazines. You know, in case of tyranny, bad guys, or bears bigger than I am. God Bless America.