Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
Got some work done on the roof. In case anyone is wondering, i am using the Mastercoat series products. After years of being a fabricator and artist and working at the university of california running numerous shops i got to experiment with many many products, these are the ones ive chosen to put on my own rig. Not associated with them, just my own preferences based on y experiences.

So here is some shots of the roof that had been neglected for too long… next will be the boxed section of the frame.

Attachments

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Some endoscope pics of the boxed section of the frame. Next step is to clean this out and protect it. It’s in better shape then i thought it would be TBH.

Attachments

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Mission Creep
"noun
a gradual shift in objectives during the course of a military campaign, often resulting in an unplanned long-term commitment."

I started out today just doing some refinishing on the Jeep's exterior paint. This quickly morphed into deciding I'm going to repaint the inside of the tub the proper color it's supposed to be. Interior removed...again.

I went ahead and welded up some cracks in the floor pan around where the passenger seat mounts. I also removed all the seat belts, they need replaced, obvious UV damage and fraying.

Folded the windshield to replace the cowl seal and found EVEN MORE dirt dauber nests. I'm pretty sure this thing is carrying its payload in dirt dauber nests. I also found 2 random scalpels......okie dokie.

On the plus side, I found no rust on the cowling and small bits on the windshield frame on the side exterior of the Jeep. So no big deal there.

Tonight after it cools off I'll go back out and do the driver's side as far as cleaning up the paint as best I can and prep the inside of the tub to be painted tomorrow morning first thing.

Side note. The YJ looks pretty good with the windshield folded down.

362662443_10231525013454591_2544232165803187201_n.jpg362944361_10231525012174559_6549305350849699928_n.jpg363385778_10231525014134608_7242801559260757150_n.jpg364105144_10231525013894602_2151628394040877967_n.jpg

Reactions: Shahn and roots66

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Redid the factory seam sealer and added new urethane to the old windows. Also added our “sandwich” to the tailgate. (Sandwich = 1/4” EPDM closed cell foam, thinsulate 600 with scrim toward the epdm, then a foamed reflective barrier glued to the fluff)

Attachments

slowlane

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Bender
Today I rolled 100,000 miles on my '66 VW since I rebuilt it. I was driving through Sauk City, Wisconsin on my way to Spring Green Preserve and Ferry Bluff for some hiking. I wanted to take a picture right where the car hit 100k, but I was on a main road with no shoulder, so I pulled into the first parking lot after to snap a photo. Other than replacing the 3-4 cylinder head with another used one a few months ago, I haven't done any other work to the engine outside of routine maintenance since I put it together 11 years ago. Congratulations little VW! Here's to another 100k!

The spot in Sauk City, WI where the VW rolled 100,000 miles while passing a parking lot for an all-natural pet nutrition store. Ha!

Z Adventures

Rank VI
Investor

Pathfinder III

Georgia, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Zeilenga
Member #

Well I'm at 42k on my Gladiator Mojave. So I got the fluids in the diffs and xfer case changed this past week. In the last 2-3 months I've added
  • Ace Engineering Rock Rails
  • Asfir Engine and Transfer Skids
  • Quadratec QRC Front Bumper and Badlands 12k Synthetic winch
  • Roofnest Condor XL
  • Rear Seat Delete (platform being built this week)
  • KC FlexEra-4 Lights
  • Moon Shade + Large Wall
  • 20230722_112125[1].jpg
20230227_203303.jpg

** Picture has cabling that is not finished yet hanging down.

I think I'm now ready for our 2 week venture to CO/UT next month. Can't wait.

slowlane

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Bender
Not much of a rig but I finally built a sleeping platform for my 2012 Toyota Sienna I picked up a few months ago. This van will be replacing the '66 VW Beetle for my cross-country travels. The VW is getting a little small and uncomfortable for sleeping in these days and I'm planning several long-distance trips next year. My last van was an '85 Chevy and I was looking for another full-size van but the more I thought about it, I realized I can get to 95% of the places I go with a minivan. The Toyota is averaging 23.9 mpg where my old Chevy was lucky to get 14 mpg on a good day. I was also wanting something that just fades into the background, and it doesn't get much more boring than a silver Toyota. With the rear seats folded down and the middle seats removed, the floor of this generation Sienna is super lumpy. The middle seat bases and tracks remain attached to the floor. It took some creative engineering with dense foam padding and folded up rugs but I got the floor relatively flat and then bought a cheap area rug and cut it to fit inside and cover all the padding. I'm loving all the space and am looking forward to getting out there with this van!

Enthusiast III

Mason County, Washington, United States
First Name
Haven Ridge
Last Name
Adventures
Service Branch
Navy Retired
Ok. Is time to post ...What did you do with your Rig Today? ( Credit of this thread goes to Mud forum...you know where ) It could be... washed it, went wheeling, maintenance, fix, add accessories, Mods, etc.
Just post it here. you can post as many times as you want. I know title says today, post it even if it was last week, last month, last year... just do it!

Today...80 selfie :-0

Not today...breakfast ...Fishing trip/camping. love cooking on the outdoors.

Frisly
Today I ordered the hood raisers for my 80 that OB 0000 has on his 80.
I hope they help with the temps. Our build phase 1 is almost done, and soon we will be able to hit the trail with it.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I washed it!! I mean like actually went to a car wash washed it. Last time that happened was over 2 years ago.

media.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shahn and danwyandt

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Not today, but I finally got my truck back this past week after having a triple-disc torque converter installed. Towing while tuned revealed the OEM TC wasn't up to the task.

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
Pulled the heads off the VW engine and as suspected the #3 exhaust seat is hammered. There is also a crack starting its way from the spark plug hole to the exhaust valve seat. This thing definitely made it home on borrowed time. The head had already been welded sometime in the past. It's had a good run, but it's done. Found another head locally that was pretty crusty but cleaned up okay. New head has no combustion chamber cracks and good valve seats. The exhaust guides on the new head were smoked though so I replaced them. On an aircooled VW, guide replacement is a pretty basic affair of hammering out the old guide, putting the new one in the freezer for a while to shrink it a bit, and then hammering it in. Easy. Replaced the exhaust valves in both heads. Transferred valve springs, keepers, and intake valves from the bad head to the new one. Lapped in all valves on both heads and lapped cylinders to heads as Type-1 aircooled VW engines don't use head gaskets. The cylinder seals right against the combustion chamber. Cleaned and honed the cylinders and cleaned up the old pistons. New piston rings and a seal kit are on the way. I have to clean out the plugged heat riser in the intake manifold, replace the engine compartment seal on the car, and replace the transaxle mounts as they have turned to jelly from years of oil leaking on them. Then I'll put it all back together and hopefully get a couple more years and 20k or so out of the engine. Not a proper rebuild by any means, but I just want the car functional again while I build a more powerful replacement engine as having only 40hp is getting tough in modern traffic.

Here are some pictures of where the engine is at currently.

Engine as it sits this afternoon after cleaning. Surprisingly it is totally dry around the oil cooler. I'm not messing with those seals. Don't fix what's not broken, right?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pistons and cylinders cleaned and bagged. Sorry didn't feel like unpacking them for a picture. They're not all that interesting anyway.

Cylinder heads "rebuilt". New head is on the right. Still need to install exhaust studs on the new one.

Here's the #3 combustion chamber on the old head with the hammered seat on the right. It is BEAT in. The crack from the spark plug hole is hard to see between the Sharpie marks. The head had already been welded in that spot as well as several others sometime in the past. It's had a good run.
Oh! Those ere the days! I did this 40 years ago; Had 3 60's models all modded. Big jugs were the thing. Take that any way you want!

Reactions: Shahn

Ken M

Rank IV

Traveler III

Napa, CA, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Any winch experts here?

I have a Badlands Apex 12000lb winch on my jeep and i put it through the ringer last weekend. Pulling myself out of a canyon, along with my bud... well, my buddy only half way. The winch died and we then went to lots of checkers and a kinetic rope to get him out.

I have checked all the fuses, check all the battery connections, took off the control module and inspected it, nothing burnt, broken or loose inside it.

It just won't turn on....

If anybody has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks Ken