Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
This past weekend, installed my new-to-me Wilco Hitchgate Solo Hi-Clearance, added the Front Runner fold-down table, and relocated the backup camera. The camera location isn't the best but it's all I could come up with for now. I have a 1 gallon water Rotopax on it's way to me which will go next to the table and be perfect for making coffee and boil-in-a-bag.

Very nice. I bet people think you're a cop all the time when you're behind them on the freeway with that bush guard lol
Like the bottle opener, lots of support for those tough Sam Adams bottles :)

ESF 9

Rank V

Explorer I

Virginia, United States
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Huddle
Made it back from a 3 day trip where I tested my new suspension components and some modifications to my rig.

I have much more articulation with this suspension than I did before but am limited by my sway bars.

I was able to test the led flood lights I added to the sides and rear of my factory roof rack. With this I have plenty of lighting to set up camp or do other work as needed.

The light strip I installed in my awning works great and gives me all the area lighting I need.

While I was out I added some new spots to the map here as well as cleaned up a campsite that had been trashed by previous users.

Attachments

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Made it back from a 3 day trip where I tested my new suspension components and some modifications to my rig.

I have much more articulation with this suspension than I did before but am limited by my sway bars.

I was able to test the led flood lights I added to the sides and rear of my factory roof rack. With this I have plenty of lighting to set up camp or do other work as needed.

The light strip I installed in my awning works great and gives me all the area lighting I need.

While I was out I added some new spots to the map here as well as cleaned up a campsite that had been trashed by previous users.
Nice!

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Installed an Anderson power pole plug. Top goes input to solar, bottom output to battery for accessories like air compressor. Bottom has an inline 40a breaker.
This is awesome! I’d need to do it a bit higher myself, that’s below the water line on my truck haha.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Well I was in Colorado for about a week. After getting home, I dropped the oil pan on the CJ2A because it was dumping oil out of the rear main when running. Like if you sat in one spot for 15 seconds you would have a puddle. I found the rear main to be of the "improved" type, which is a neoprene cone essentially, and it was mangled, it had obviously been spinning at some point. I tried to install a new one and mangled it by accident. According to the CJ2 forums, these "new and improved" neoprene seals tend to be far too tight and the best bet is either another rope seal which will leak but at a slow rate or a lip type nitrile seal from "best seals". So I'm currently waiting on that to come in.

The XJ's ignition switch took a crap on me while out running errands. Good thing I know how to hot wire an XJ and have the security torx bits I need for such things. Orilley's had me a new ignition switch same day it was back up and running properly before bedtime.

The CJ5's clutch linkage was getting sloppy. So found the pivot that I replaced 2 years ago completely worn and looking like an egg inspected of a sphere. I'm surprised it hadn't fallen apart yet. Went to Atwoods (when the ignition switch went bad) and picked up a heimjoint to replace it. Much better now. Less than 2 years of operation had done the other part in. Buyer beware when dealing with OMIX/Crown parts for sure.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
What Did You Do With Your Rig Today?

its more like what did my rig do with me today...

it made me go out and buy new Toyo AT3's and get a front end alignment. the tire shop did unspeakable things to my wallet...:confounded:

IMG_2352.JPG

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ

it made me go out and buy new Toyo AT3's and get a front end alignment. the tire shop did unspeakable things to my wallet...:confounded:

View attachment 237528
I feel ya, I’m about to drop $2k on Toyo RTs… yikes

• Wow
Reactions: grubworm

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Well I was in Colorado for about a week. After getting home, I dropped the oil pan on the CJ2A because it was dumping oil out of the rear main when running. Like if you sat in one spot for 15 seconds you would have a puddle. I found the rear main to be of the "improved" type, which is a neoprene cone essentially, and it was mangled, it had obviously been spinning at some point. I tried to install a new one and mangled it by accident. According to the CJ2 forums, these "new and improved" neoprene seals tend to be far too tight and the best bet is either another rope seal which will leak but at a slow rate or a lip type nitrile seal from "best seals". So I'm currently waiting on that to come in.

The XJ's ignition switch took a crap on me while out running errands. Good thing I know how to hot wire an XJ and have the security torx bits I need for such things. Orilley's had me a new ignition switch same day it was back up and running properly before bedtime.

The CJ5's clutch linkage was getting sloppy. So found the pivot that I replaced 2 years ago completely worn and looking like an egg inspected of a sphere. I'm surprised it hadn't fallen apart yet. Went to Atwoods (when the ignition switch went bad) and picked up a heimjoint to replace it. Much better now. Less than 2 years of operation had done the other part in. Buyer beware when dealing with OMIX/Crown parts for sure.

WoW! Sounds like quite the nightmare!

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)

View attachment 237528
Yes, but it's always nice to have new tires.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I feel ya, I’m about to drop $2k on Toyo RTs… yikes
yeah, $1850 for 4 AT3 tires and an alignment. i looked online and the toyos are between $350 and $400 a tire so add in labor and tax and you have a nice chunk of change. my first car was a 1976 pinto and i worked all summer to make the $900 to buy it. so...i could buy TWO shitty ford pintos for the price of one set of tires now? getting older is painful in more ways than one! :disappointed:

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Cool, they look like JK rubicon wheels.
Pretty close. They are also very similar to the factory wheels that come on the compass. But I am going with a larger tire so a wider rim won't hurt and I like the look of the factory wheels but the machined silver on them doesn't tie into any trim component and it bugs me. These ones will be black to match everything else.20220605_164039.jpg
Here's the factory wheels for comparison. And then the new ones
Screenshot_20220805-204330_Amazon Shopping.jpg

JCross

Rank II

Contributor III

Decatur, AL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Cross
Member #