Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@dubbinchris Chris, I think the intent is that the "TO your rig" thread is about what you have done to modify, improve, or just work on your rig. This one has been around longer. Another member started the "WITH your rig" thread as a general "where did you go today" sort of thread, with tales of exploration without the need for a new topic, like "I went to the local gravel pit and did a bunch of wheeling' today" stuff. I'll agree that there is some cross-over, and a moderator could move some content from one thread to the other.

dubbinchris

Rank VI
Founder 500

Off-Road Ranger I

Westerville, OH
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knapp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8WEI
Well yes I totally get the likely intent/difference between each thread but that doesn't seem to sway the content in either of them. There would need to be lots of content moved...lol

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I wouldn't be surprised is member frequently post in the wrong on by accident. Looking for one just scanning thread titles and accidentally select the wrong one to post in.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Auburn, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all, I merged the threads. Actually, I did that before knowing their might be any confusion. I hope this is better, and more clear. I defaulted to the older @Frisman thread that goes back to the OG forums.

Reactions: IronPercheron

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

My minds telling me No, but my body, my body... :0)

I thought for sure I had seen that thread but then the New thread button was pushed. I blame peer pressure and a poor upbringing. Forgive me. :)

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Started a budget winch test with my superduty

Bought a used 8,000 lb smittybuilt for 100$

Bought 15,500lb traveller winch rope
125$

Hook was one i already had... idk how much it was.

Warn winch tray was used 75$

uploadfromtaptalk1451152257318.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Installed a very important overland item today. Cannot overland properly without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like the terrain response sticker. Where is that from?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

Started a budget winch test with my superduty

Bought a used 8,000 lb smittybuilt for 100$

Bought 15,500lb traveller winch rope
125$

Hook was one i already had... idk how much it was.

Warn winch tray was used 75$

View attachment 974

Please keep us updated on how this works. I'm looking at winches and leaning towards a budget winch as well. I've read mixed reviews so some first hand info would be great!

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I was playing around with a 37" single row LED light bar that I bought. I have a very limited space under my wind fairing on my rack and I wanted to see if I could fit a light up there. I have some metal tabs on my rack about that width. The mounting worked out pretty well. I wanted to mount it out of the way so it wasn't adding height or sticking out front. I didn't want to drill into my fiberglass fairing. I also wanted it set back so that the roof itself blocks the light that would otherwise hit the hood and cause glair.

My phone didnt show this true to reality perfectly... but if you kneel down to about eye level with the front of the hood, you can see that the "spot" part of the lightbar is blocked by the roof. You can see the "flood" parts of the side of the lightbar, but it doesn't have as much direct impact on the middle part of the hood. The roof still blocks the lower part of the flood lighting, so the direct glare is avoided somewhat. 37" is a good width also. A 50" could probably fit, but would then be all the way to the side and the hood would take more glair.

Hardly any light on the hood, just some indirect from the side/floods.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I like it!. I've been thinking of trying to squeeze one in under my rack. Any pics with a lights of vs lights on. Any change in wind noise?

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I like it!. I've been thinking of trying to squeeze one in under my rack. Any pics with a lights of vs lights on. Any change in wind noise?
I was just thinking I needed a better before/after using my DSLR so I can control exposure. The cell phone doesn't show things well. The biggest good surprise so far is just how little light ended up on the hood. I was worried about that.

I haven't had a chance to try wind tests yet. I doubt it will have a huge impact given its location.

Also tonight, I did a lot of other wiring. Added in a dual battery monitor (National Luna) and wired in a remote control light switch with 4 dimming modes and strobe. They work fine with the little 4 LED work lights for the back of the rack (not pictured yet). But they don't work with the light bar... it is strange. I may just have to get a normal hardwire switch for the light bar. (The dimming/strobe sounded like a fun option, but oh well.) I do want my two work lights on the back of the rack on remote so I can activate them from the tent and light up camp if I need.

I also ran wire off the aux battery for a new run for the fridge location, radios, etc. My fingers hurt a bit from all the wire.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I like the single row under the rack, looks great. Might have to consider doing the same for the sides of my rig. Might put one on either side with a dimmer.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I want to get a dragon winch but the website does not calculate shipping I can only assume that by the time I get one from there I could have bought a winch here

Drift

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midwest
First Name
DJ
Last Name
Drift
Member #

Took it to the car wash and forgot about my cb antenna....uploadfromtaptalk1451199235771.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Today's project is complete. Rear rack work lights (OPT7 C2 spot lights, using the OPT7 dual light remote). Unlike the light bar, these work just fine on the remote thing. I used some KC mounts. I can rotate them down/up and left/right on the huge washers and wing nuts I used. Ill be able to aim them at camp beside or behind the truck.

I did an errand today and checked out the aero/noise on the front light bar and these work lights. It seems fine. No additional noise.

I will fine a nice dark place on a country road soon to fine tune the light bar aim and see how well these work lights do.

Last edited: