What Did You Do With Your Rig Today?

• HTML tutorial

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

so i've only used it last weekend, but during that time, it got exposed to cold and rain. It performed really well.

the good:
- for the price you get the annex with heavy duty flooring, and the tent itself is no different than the other brands, i.e. all the same features you see on a Tepui or a CVT.
- the materials used are solid, packaging was great -- i expected less for a 'budget RTT'.
- i dig having the annex, i do a lot of trips with the family and we tend to stay on base camp at least 2 days. It also extends my camping on colder weather with a heater in the annex (warm air rises to the tent).
- My kids loved it!

the bad:
- the annex. It adds more time to install and as heavy as my ground tent (mostly due to the heavy material used on flooring)
- the weight, 130lbs i think -- so it's a pain getting it up there. I still need a better way to hoist this since i'd like to keep the Jeep in the garage, plus enjoy some topdown driving.
- the tuffstuff logo is a bit cheesy, and it's on all 4-sides of the cover. I like to keep things low-profile so i'll tape it off.
- i may need a ladder extension. Even with a relatively stock height on my Jeep, the ladder is close to vertical which makes it just tricky for the wife. I am not worried too much with the kids, they're monkeys.
- i went camping on a state park. RVers and ground tenters look at you like you landed a UFO.

we're still figuring out how to properly store all the sleeping stuff and still keep it easy to zip up the cover.
What kind of tape would you use. We are thinking vinyl repair tape....

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Owens Cross Roads, Madison County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Thank you! The cover has a large YKK zipper, and there are six 1.5" straps that can also go over the top to prevent bellowing. I actually removed the straps thinking they were just for shipping (oops) and haven't noticed any flapping or bellowing without them. The sliders are Super Sliders from Rocky Road in Utah. Great price, reasonable shipping to NorCal and since they don't require welding I installed them myself in the garage. http://www.rocky-road.com/gx470-rock-sliders.html
Do you happen to have a picture of this RTT with the cover on? I'm curious if it takes up your whole rack being the XL version. Any room left for front runner boxes etc on the roof?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
Do you happen to have a picture of this RTT with the cover on? I'm curious if it takes up your whole rack being the XL version. Any room left for front runner boxes etc on the roof?

Here's the only one I have so far, but yes it takes up the entire Pioneer platform as I only have the 48x60 version. The RTT is 78" long so it hangs over the front and rear of the platform and doesn't leave any room for anything else on top. I have mounted some quick fists below the rack though for the shovel and axe, and the awning brackets are just waiting for the awning to arrive. I can take a better picture if you'd like one.

IMG_1370.JPG

Reactions: PNWInfernoPro

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
Finally finished the drawer system for the back of the GX. This is not the final version as I'm putting together a similar "box" with slide and cutting board for the fridge on top as well. I used 20 series 80/20 extruded aluminum and corner brackets from OpenBuilds. The design was obviously inspired by Goose Gear but doesn't approach their quality or cost! But it's incredibly strong and the drawer system can be removed in 10 min if the wife needs the rear seats.

IMG_1383.JPG IMG_1384.JPG IMG_1385.JPG IMG_1397.JPG IMG_1396.JPG

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

Finally finished the drawer system for the back of the GX. This is not the final version as I'm putting together a similar "box" with slide and cutting board for the fridge on top as well. I used 20 series 80/20 extruded aluminum and corner brackets from OpenBuilds. The design was obviously inspired by Goose Gear but doesn't approach their quality or cost! But it's incredibly strong and the drawer system can be removed in 10 min if the wife needs the rear seats.
This is great! Post up a build thread, if you haven't already. Solid work!

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Its a beautiful day here in the UK suns out. Ordered the bottom half of the rear body cross member. Removing the rear bump, tow hitch and fuel tank to get at the cross member. Will then drill out the spot welds and get the cross member out. It will be ready to re fit in a couple of days.

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Well everything in the above post has been done just waiting for the new bottom crossmember to turn. So I will be out rubbing down and painting the inside of the chassis. May even take out the sediment filter and give that a clean also replace the rear copper brake pipes. over the next couple of days.

PNWInfernoPro

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Kirkland, WA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Dear
Member #

A break in the weather allowed some awning testing. Ran into one issue; I tried to save the paint on the rack tubes with a layer of electrical tape under the awning mounts. Mounts started to rotate down. Test shortened and repairs made at home later.

And IPad Mini 4 fitted on the dash with a RAM mount. Will work well for trail nav.

sapietrzak

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Pietrzak
A break in the weather allowed some awning testing. Ran into one issue; I tried to save the paint on the rack tubes with a layer of electrical tape under the awning mounts. Mounts started to rotate down. Test shortened and repairs made at home later.

And IPad Mini 4 fitted on the dash with a RAM mount. Will work well for trail nav.
What app is that?

Reactions: Kelly

macr88

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

Emmett, ID, USA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Raslan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TLH or GMRS WRBM678
Service Branch
Sweet District II
Installed some long awaited Bilsteins this week.
Can't wait to try them out, I definitely could've used the extra 2 inches of clearance in Death Valley after sliding off a rock and denting my frame and oil pan a tad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JaimyMac630

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Rescue, California, USA
First Name
Jaimy
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

Finally, finally! got my Hep's Designs roof rack mounted. Amateur's Tip: If someone offers bare steel for a slight discount, go for the powdercoated version. Spray painting it myself proved frustrating... I thought I was doing everything right, but I still have a few areas that are... less than perfect. Anyway, I like the rack:
View attachment 20296
Also, blacked out my rear hatch "burger":
View attachment 20298
Nice rack!