Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

It needs to be confirmed by staff, which I can do for you! It's confirmed!
Michael, I met a guy in Truckee who was a member and told me about this site back in October of 2016. I can't remember his badge #, but he drove a nice 5th Gen 4Runner and lived in that area. Soon after meeting him, I joined up with you guys. Does that count as a confirmed meet?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

How does this work if you're in a different continent. I'm in Blighty so where is my nearest Staff member?
Any of us as staff can accommodate a request. For verification, photos, badges, etc. work best. Links to video or Instagram where both parties are clearly identified works, too.

Steve

Reactions: Dunco and BobG

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Any of us as staff can accommodate a request. For verification, photos, badges, etc. work best. Links to video or Instagram where both parties are clearly identified works, too.

Steve
many thanks for the reply. what do I need to provide as proof as one of the members in such an environment

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

what do I need to provide as proof as one of the members in such an environment
I've never seen @Michael actually stipulate how to approve Member meeting Member. Several have posted photos in this thread: https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/members-spotted-thread.751/ Others have used group meet ups for verification, pointing to a meetup thread "Hey, great to see you yesterday, Are #1234." You too, Bob #4321!"

If you met a member, post it up in that thread, and @Tag the member and their number. Hopefully they'll respond. Then both of you can request the badge. I don't know if there are cases of "Hey, I met member #2468 yesterday at the pub, but he's not on the forum." Sometimes ya just gotta take a man's word.

Reactions: BobG

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

I've never seen @Michael actually stipulate how to approve Member meeting Member. Several have posted photos in this thread: https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/members-spotted-thread.751/ Others have used group meet ups for verification, pointing to a meetup thread "Hey, great to see you yesterday, Are #1234." You too, Bob #4321!"

If you met a member, post it up in that thread, and @Tag the member and their number. Hopefully they'll respond. Then both of you can request the badge. I don't know if there are cases of "Hey, I met member #2468 yesterday at the pub, but he's not on the forum." Sometimes ya just gotta take a man's word.
So does that mean the guy I met in Truckee doesn't count? If not, that's okay because I am planning a monthly meet up for the Stockton area folks. Thanks!

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

hmmmm ok. my point was....... i could quite easily say that I met member #ABCD but in reality I might not not have left my house. Secondly I could take a photo with a random person in the street with a 4 x 4, again this doesn't prove that either of us are members. what actual proof needs to be provided to say I met another actual member?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@BobG I don't know who you met. At the least we'd need a username/member number. And you are absolutely correct @Defender 90 Keith, but at some point, we have to have a little faith in our fellow man. I think @Michael would agree with that.

In my case, I've only ever met one member, and it was strictly a coincidence. I was in a trailhead parking lot in Grand Teton National Park, and saw an expedition trailer. Just as I was looking at it, the owner came up ready to leave. As we started talking, I saw the badge on his GX, pointed at mine, and we took a couple photos with each other.

Side note to prove Keith's point. On the Subaru forum I'm on, there was a guy who posted pictures of his WRX for almost two years, going through modifications, with his gorgeous wife leaning on it, etc. Turns out it wasn't his car, he's not married, and he didn't even have a Subaru. Fooled everyone!

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

@BobG I don't know who you met. At the least we'd need a username/member number. And you are absolutely correct @Defender 90 Keith, but at some point, we have to have a little faith in our fellow man. I think @Michael would agree with that.

In my case, I've only ever met one member, and it was strictly a coincidence. I was in a trailhead parking lot in Grand Teton National Park, and saw an expedition trailer. Just as I was looking at it, the owner came up ready to leave. As we started talking, I saw the badge on his GX, pointed at mine, and we took a couple photos with each other.

Side note to prove Keith's point. On the Subaru forum I'm on, there was a guy who posted pictures of his WRX for almost two years, going through modifications, with his gorgeous wife leaning on it, etc. Turns out it wasn't his car, he's not married, and he didn't even have a Subaru. Fooled everyone!
WOW.....that is crazy, the story about the Subaru guy. What goes through some people's minds, where they tell themselves, this seems like a good thing to do?

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
WOW.....that is crazy, the story about the Subaru guy. What goes through some people's minds, where they tell themselves, this seems like a good thing to do?
Hey all! What Steve said above. I very much take people's word. If someone requests the Member II Trophy for meeting another member, they often provide a picture proof. If they don't, I still take their word for it. I prefer that to running them through the ringer. I assume noble intent .

M

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Come on 150 miles that's nothing just a couple of hours drive.
150 miles for us in England is a long way. I have stayed with friends in America and it's commonplace to drive 20 - 30 minutes just to go to the shop. here in England we can walk to the shop. you also have to bear in mind the cost of fuel. I believe you are sold fuel by the gallon, what is the current average price in the US?. I have worked out the average price here in England where I live, the cost would be around $7 per gallon.

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

150 miles for us in England is a long way. I have stayed with friends in America and it's commonplace to drive 20 - 30 minutes just to go to the shop. here in England we can walk to the shop. you also have to bear in mind the cost of fuel. I believe you are sold fuel by the gallon, what is the current average price in the US?. I have worked out the average price here in England where I live, the cost would be around $7 per gallon.
I live in England as well, yes fuel is expensive as it is all across Europe (even if your $7 calculation isn't right unless you are paying £1.48 per litre, remember US gallons are not the same as Imperial gallons). When I went to Texas last year it was a bit of a shock but a nice one basically around a 1/3rd of the price it is in Europe. So I agree it's a lot easy to jump in and finance a long trip.
Most of my trips are in the 2-3000 mile and I know my Jeep needs around 275 litre's per 1000 miles but look at all the places you can visit for a 3000 mile return journey.

Screenshot_2017-02-27-10-04-35.png

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I live in England as well, yes fuel is expensive as it is all across Europe (even if your $7 calculation isn't right unless you are paying £1.48 per litre, remember US gallons are not the same as Imperial gallons). When I went to Texas last year it was a bit of a shock but a nice one basically around a 1/3rd of the price it is in Europe. So I agree it's a lot easy to jump in and finance a long trip.
Most of my trips are in the 2-3000 mile and I know my Jeep needs around 275 litre's per 1000 miles but look at all the places you can visit for a 3000 mile return journey.

View attachment 17681
I'm not getting into a petty argument. my point was that the Trophy in question for meeting another member would be made easier when you have many other members on your doorstep. I'm in the process of trying to drum up potential OB members at a Land Rover event in Cornwall in April.

Forgive me if my comments have upset you in any way

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

I'm not upset didn't even realise we were getting into an argument [emoji1]

I commute 120 miles a day so I suppose it's all relative.
Good luck with getting some more people on board it shouldn't be that hard it's a great community on here with some great support.
Also I will be heading down to visit my Sister before the summer in St Austell would be happy to meet up

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I'm not upset didn't even realise we were getting into an argument [emoji1]

I commute 120 miles a day so I suppose it's all relative.
Good luck with getting some more people on board it shouldn't be that hard it's a great community on here with some great support.
Also I will be heading down to visit my Sister before the summer in St Austell would be happy to meet up
sure depending on when your visit to St Austell is. I work 2 miles away from where I live so you can see where I was coming from earlier.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

No what I mean is..... let's pick a badge at random...... for example Advocate 2. There are a number of requirements like submitting 10 questions and other bits and pieces. Is there a way of finding out how many of the requirements have been completed and which are the outstanding requirements need to be fulfilled to complete the badge / trophy?
I hope that makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.