Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Looks like a good time. The scab lands are such an interesting and beautiful area.

Reactions: Ceg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Come on down to the Owyhee’s for the Third Annual Northwest Memorial Day Campout.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Here’s a short from today’s moist trail ride. Thanks for letting us tag along. Annual Go Topless Day, moist edition
Nice. You got the crazy weather on video. I am not sure how much of it we got recorded yet. Most of the time we were drying off the camera lenses. Thanks for coming on the wettest "Go Play Topless" we have done yet. Normally we hit more trails on this trip.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

What's everyone's plans for the holiday weekend, anyone going out to hit some trails or camp?

If all works out I think we're going to head up around Nile, a lot of the good areas are probably still under snow but we want to cruise around a bit and see what all burnt up there. If we're in the I'm sure we'll attempt to Run Bethel ridge so I'll give you guys an update on condition if we make it.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
What's everyone's plans for the holiday weekend, anyone going out to hit some trails or camp?

If all works out I think we're going to head up around Nile, a lot of the good areas are probably still under snow but we want to cruise around a bit and see what all burnt up there. If we're in the I'm sure we'll attempt to Run Bethel ridge so I'll give you guys an update on condition if we make it.
We plan to stay home and get some projects done.

I don't like the crowds on public lands during this holiday. I get a little ticked off at the ones abusing the land where the agencies have excuses to shut us out.

I would love to see photos of your trip. I maybe will be doing more local Overland trips due the cost of fuel.

Reactions: Dilldog

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Ya, fuel prices are stupid right now. Really hoping the high prices will keep a lot of people at home so things aren't so crowded.

Reactions: Ceg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

The 3rd Annual Memorial Day Weekend Campout is kicking off Friday morning at 10:00 am in Caldwell.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

The 3rd Annual Memorial Day Weekend Campout is kicking off Friday morning at 10:00 am in Caldwell.

Saw that trip, but didn't really feel like driving that far.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Just a heads up for anyone that was interest in our EWE events this summer. Due to high fuel cost we had to modify some events, merge some, and cancel others. If the fuel prices don't stop going up, some more events may not happen.

The good news for this group is we have more openings for guest since some have already said that they will not pay the high fuel prices to have fun.

Lothar

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Richland, WA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Bloom
Member #

Service Branch
Army

We’re doing a staycation this weekend. For the same reasons already mentioned, I don’t care to deal with holiday weekend crowds and everything that comes with them. We are car camping the following weekend on the west side.

I’ll probably run out to Juniper Dunes for a few hours this weekend for some 4x4 fun between home projects

Reactions: MrWilsonWJ

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Just a heads up for anyone that was interest in our EWE events this summer. Due to high fuel cost we had to modify some events, merge some, and cancel others. If the fuel prices don't stop going up, some more events may not happen.

The good news for this group is we have more openings for guest since some have already said that they will not pay the high fuel prices to have fun.
Is the Gallagher head trip still going to happen as planned? I really liked that one and was wanting to do it again if timing works out with my work.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Is the Gallagher head trip still going to happen as planned? I really liked that one and was wanting to do it again if timing works out with my work.
The Banks Lake/Douglas Creek road trip to woke us up to fuel cost. To do WABDR 4-6 we figured round trip it would 40 plus gallons plus of fuel from Selah and more for the guys south of us. That is a lot of money in fuel for pavement miles. We decided to focus on more off road miles.

The WABDR 4-6 trip turned into WABDR Section 3, Liberty 4x4 Trails, and then Gallagher. Upcoming: EWE Northern Cle Elum Ranger District 4×4 Overland Trip July 11-14 2022 - Eastern WA Expeditions - Offroad & Overland

We cut Gallagher Head Lake out of Odo's first alone Jeep trail run. We are still hitting the 4x4 trails in the Manastash Area. We will camp somewhere on the north side of the ridge. Upcoming: EWE Odo’s Manastash 4×4 Overland Trip Aug 1-2 2022 - Eastern WA Expeditions - Offroad & Overland

I hope you can make some of the trips this summer.

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

We might make it up into that same neck of the woods. My sister in law and her husband, as well as bunch of friends, are staying at the intersection of NF-250 and NF-1603. They originally were going to head to the blues but the weather isn’t going to be great. I had already decided to make a trip to work since there wasn’t going to be anyone there but our new guy. So Saturday was shot but thinking Sunday we will either hit packwood for the flea market or just head up and hangout with them for the afternoon and dinner and then head back home. I thought about doing bethel ridge as well since we didn’t get to do it last year when we did some of the BDR.

Reactions: MrWilsonWJ

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

We made it back out of the woods in one piece and rigs intact so time for a trip report!

We left town Friday afternoon and went to a secluded spot off of NF1500 outside Nile, weren't too sure what was left of it after the fire last year but it wasn't hit too bad. There was about a 4' diameter tree that had fallen across the trail that I barely made it under so tall rigs are a no go for this site now. Rest of our friends showed up a couple hours after us, only had a little bit of light rain on and off through the night.

Saturday after breakfast we headed out of camp to run some roads in the area to see what burnt and what was clear of snow. We headed west out of camp on 1500 and then turned right onto 1504, there is a nice view point a few miles in on 1504 that we stopped at for some pictures but the clouds were pretty low so you couldn't see a lot but you could see down into the forest at where the fire had been.
84478.jpeg
Shortly after this spot the road had been washed out but has been fixed since I was there last so we continued down 1504 and turned right onto NF 620 then turned onto 4W620. I had never been on 4W620 so I didn't know what to expect but we talked with a group that was coming out that told us the bridges were all burnt down except for the first one but it was passable to the end so we went for it. The first bridge was a little iffy looking but we made it across just fine, once down in the bottom along the river the fire really hit hard with most everything being black.
84474.jpeg
84475.jpeg
We ran that trail to the end, it was pretty easy with only a couple of tight spots and a few areas where you really had to look for where the trail was since the bridges were gone and not many people had been in there yet. Once at the end we stopped for lunch next to the river in a nice little area the fire had mostly missed.
84467.jpeg
84468.jpeg
After that we made our way back out to 1500 and then up 190 trying for Timberwolf mountain. We could see on the way up how low the clouds were and that we wouldn't have much a view but were more interested in snow levels and what was burnt. We made it to probably 1/2 mile from the top before turning around. And for anyone familiar with that road it looks like the cabin was lost to the fire. (or it was so foggy we couldn't see it from the road) Here's where we had to turn back, after that we made our way back to camp.
20220528_160753.jpg
Sunday we we left camp with the plan of heading toward Bethel ridge so we went to Nile to top off with fuel since we were both around 1/2 tank. After fuel and back on 1500 we took Meloy Canyon road up to the turn off for Grouse Haven Rd. which we followed up to NF325/Bethel Ridge Rd. We made it as far as the turn off for NF 1400 where the road was blocked and a big road closed sign. I walked up the road about 100 yards and it looked pretty sloppy and had a decent amount of snow still. There was tracks where people had been up it so it might have been passable but we chose to obey the signs. At that point we turned down 1400 and made our way over to Bear Lake for a little break.
84451.jpeg
84461.jpeg
After Bear lake we tried to take 4W653 around and make it up to Bethel Ridge from the south but again ran into snow and got turned around. Since it was still early we decided we'd do some exploring on the way back to camp... good call. Off of 1500 we went up Cow Puncher Ridge Rd. and were greeted with some awesome views.
20220529_155321.jpg
20220529_155339.jpg
20220529_155606.jpg
Sorry, my ugly Jeep is blocking some of the views. After that we headed for camp and a good taco dinner.

Reactions: G.Goodwin and Ceg

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
We made it back out of the woods in one piece and rigs intact so time for a trip report!

We left town Friday afternoon and went to a secluded spot off of NF1500 outside Nile, weren't too sure what was left of it after the fire last year but it wasn't hit too bad. There was about a 4' diameter tree that had fallen across the trail that I barely made it under so tall rigs are a no go for this site now. Rest of our friends showed up a couple hours after us, only had a little bit of light rain on and off through the night.

Saturday after breakfast we headed out of camp to run some roads in the area to see what burnt and what was clear of snow. We headed west out of camp on 1500 and then turned right onto 1504, there is a nice view point a few miles in on 1504 that we stopped at for some pictures but the clouds were pretty low so you couldn't see a lot but you could see down into the forest at where the fire had been.
View attachment 231692
Shortly after this spot the road had been washed out but has been fixed since I was there last so we continued down 1504 and turned right onto NF 620 then turned onto 4W620. I had never been on 4W620 so I didn't know what to expect but we talked with a group that was coming out that told us the bridges were all burnt down except for the first one but it was passable to the end so we went for it. The first bridge was a little iffy looking but we made it across just fine, once down in the bottom along the river the fire really hit hard with most everything being black.
View attachment 231693
View attachment 231694
We ran that trail to the end, it was pretty easy with only a couple of tight spots and a few areas where you really had to look for where the trail was since the bridges were gone and not many people had been in there yet. Once at the end we stopped for lunch next to the river in a nice little area the fire had mostly missed.
View attachment 231695
View attachment 231696
After that we made our way back out to 1500 and then up 190 trying for Timberwolf mountain. We could see on the way up how low the clouds were and that we wouldn't have much a view but were more interested in snow levels and what was burnt. We made it to probably 1/2 mile from the top before turning around. And for anyone familiar with that road it looks like the cabin was lost to the fire. (or it was so foggy we couldn't see it from the road) Here's where we had to turn back, after that we made our way back to camp.
View attachment 231697
Sunday we we left camp with the plan of heading toward Bethel ridge so we went to Nile to top off with fuel since we were both around 1/2 tank. After fuel and back on 1500 we took Meloy Canyon road up to the turn off for Grouse Haven Rd. which we followed up to NF325/Bethel Ridge Rd. We made it as far as the turn off for NF 1400 where the road was blocked and a big road closed sign. I walked up the road about 100 yards and it looked pretty sloppy and had a decent amount of snow still. There was tracks where people had been up it so it might have been passable but we chose to obey the signs. At that point we turned down 1400 and made our way over to Bear Lake for a little break.
View attachment 231699
View attachment 231700
After Bear lake we tried to take 4W653 around and make it up to Bethel Ridge from the south but again ran into snow and got turned around. Since it was still early we decided we'd do some exploring on the way back to camp... good call. Off of 1500 we went up Cow Puncher Ridge Rd. and were greeted with some awesome views.
View attachment 231701
View attachment 231702
View attachment 231703
Sorry, my ugly Jeep is blocking some of the views. After that we headed for camp and a good taco dinner.
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a fun trip.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

It was a good time and really not too busy for being a holiday weekend. I've camped in that area 3-4 times and ran bethel ridge probably a half dozen times but still found new roads up there I hadn't been on so it keeps it interesting. There was more places I wanted to explore on Saturday but running 4W620 took more time then expected, totally worth it though. We were already talking about another trip to that area later this summer to check out what we missed and to go to some of the places that were blocked by snow.

Reactions: JL Lou and Ceg

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Hello everyone. I joined a couple years ago but haven’t been active on the forums. I’m based out of Horn Rapids. I have a 91 YJ and my bride has a 2020 Taco. I try to get out to the Cascades and Blues whenever I can. If my schedule allows, I hope to hit Magruder Pass and one or two sections of the WABDR, among others.
I also wish my schedule lined up with everyone else more often. Welcome. I am also in Horn Rapids.

Reactions: Lothar and Ceg