First Name
Elvin
Last Name
Ocasio
Member #

Service Branch
US SRMY
Hello OB crew!

I'm looking for alternatives to carry a full size spare tire out side the designated location in the truck since I can't make it fit and too wide. I seen the swing arm style that is hook up to the hitch, however I'm not to sold on that since the price, I think is a little too high. Let open up the conversation.....

2018 F150 Super Crew Cab

Spare tire size is 315 x 70 ( 34.5 x 12.5)

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Explorador

Rank IV

Traveler III

Aliquippa, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Elvin
Last Name
Ocasio
Member #

Service Branch
US SRMY
Reactions: danbrown

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Use to have a swingout but now I mount it near the cab to keep as much of the bed as possible open. Big benefit is the weight is closer to the center.
Great post! Im interested to see what responses you get. I tried the same with my 4Runner. Instead of a swing out and the spare under the trunk I keep one in the cab and one on the roof rack. Def a better ride and having two spares is a must for me. Great set up!

Reactions: danbrown

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I don't have a pic handy, but can add one tomorrow, but I modified a hitch mounted bike rack I had to carry a full size spare. I also used a dual hitch mount so I can still pull my trailer. If I am not pulling the trailer, the bike mount lays down and I can still haul two bikes with the spare riding underneath the bikes.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Hello OB crew!

I'm looking for alternatives to carry a full size spare tire out side the designated location in the truck since I can't make it fit and too wide. I seen the swing arm style that is hook up to the hitch, however I'm not to sold on that since the price, I think is a little too high. Let open up the conversation.....

2018 F150 Super Crew Cab

Thanks!!
I wasn't crazy about the cost of the swing arm carriers either so I made my own. It's a little further along than what's shown in these pics and it's almost ready for paint. The key to making it wiggle free was to make a sliding wedge lock that fits into the 2" receiver. I'm also almost finished making a fold down table for the back side.

22-02-10 6.JPG22-02-10 10.JPG22-02-10 12.JPG

Explorador

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Elvin
Last Name
Ocasio
Member #

Service Branch
US SRMY
Hello OB crew!

2018 F150 Super Crew Cab

Thanks!!
I wasn't crazy.....
Well, let me tell you that thing you just made it is a piece of art. That looks better that the one I have seen online going for $$$$. What it takes for you to made a second one? I will pay for all materials and time if you made one more, no rush.....

Reactions: PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Well, let me tell you that thing you just made it is a piece of art. That looks better that the one I have seen online going for $$$$. What it takes for you to made a second one? I will pay for all materials and time if you made one more, no rush.....
Thanks! I'd like to help but unfortunately at my age it seems like everything I do is a rush! I have way too many projects on the go and just hope I can find the time to enjoy them.

Reactions: Explorador

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I wasn't crazy about the cost of the swing arm carriers either so I made my own. It's a little further along than what's shown in these pics and it's almost ready for paint. The key to making it wiggle free was to make a sliding wedge lock that fits into the 2" receiver. I'm also almost finished making a fold down table for the back side.

View attachment 226436View attachment 226437View attachment 226438
====================================================================================================
Details on this pictured wheel carrier. I like yours over the WILCO brand , yours sits higher, thus minimizing chance of scraping in a steep ravine angle, Prices as was mentioned above. just seem very high for what is offered in the market place.

Reactions: Explorador

Explorador

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Elvin
Last Name
Ocasio
Member #

Service Branch
US SRMY
Thanks! I'd like to help but unfortunately at my age it seems like everything I do is a rush! I have way too many projects on the go and just hope I can find the time to enjoy them.
Enjoy your time, no worries, I just throw a hook in case I got lucky. Can't wait to see your swing arm once is finish.