Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
So after a few days decompressing from ~2400 miles we covered in 16 days on the TAT from Ripley WV to AR/OK border a few things to mention. The AR leg was full of surprises. The Warloop Rd events already mentioned, but we also saw our first bear on the trail that same morning as we departed White Oak Campground heading towards Warloop Rd, exciting. We also did our good deed as we came upon a fire burning along side the trail in Eastern AR. We all jumped out of our cars and grabbed the fire extinguishers thinking we could put it out, since it was a hot dry day In middle of nowhere. But as we approached we heard crackling as the fire was started below an electrical pole. So not wanting to risk electric shock we called it in to 911 giving them the lat/lon location, and moved on. Later on “TURTLE” mentioned (they were behind us at this point) they saw 3 fire trucks heading to the fire. Also I have a much more appreciation to having proper recovery points and gear while on the trail. Of course less than 24 hours before Warloop Rd we did have to rescue the Toyota Land Cruiser from the drop off side of a narrow gravel road after passing on coming traffic. He did not have a winch but did have recovery points, kinetic rope and tow strap. But the strap of course was not accessible since it was in his truck on the downhill side, and the kinetic rope in this circumstance was not going to work. Phew what an AR adventure.
Lessons learned from the trip so far (in no particular order)...

There is safety in numbers. Both physical security, and if you get stuck or broke down.

Reinforced importance of strong attachment points front and rear. Two up front are better than one.

TAT can get repetitive after a while (gravel roads with trees or cornfields on both sides). Get off the TAT sometimes and run on pavement. Don’t be afraid to bypass loops of the TAT and just go straight across. Skip stretches.

Dispersed campgrounds are not plentiful like you might think. Dedicated campgrounds are not as plentiful as you might think. Don’t discount the Walmart or Cracker Barrel type options. Think outside the box. The more campsite apps you have the better.

Three to five vehicles makes a nice size group. Eight to nine can get a little unwieldy. Doable, but a little more work finding large enough campsites.

You WILL miss turns daily following the TAT no matter how good your GPS and map set up is. You will notice pretty quickly when you do get off. Do a U-turn safely and get back on. Not a big deal.

Winch extension cable comes in handy. Mine is coiled and unobtrusively strapped to my roof rack.

There are bears out there. Buy bear spray, and watch some videos on how to properly deploy bear spray.

You will survive rainstorms of Biblical proportion.

Any others?

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
2.0 is re - engaging with TAT today in Trinidad CO, planning SOR route. Appreciate any intel on conditions or not to be missed segments - we are 4 vehicles, 1 is stock
Stock shouldn't be any problem. You might want to spot him during the one rocky section of Tincup Pass. You do have to drive through the edge of the lake. I haven't heard any advisories about the water being deep. You'll be passing close to a couple of trail heads of fun trails when you're between Salida and Buena Vista. Consider taking an optional run up Mt. Princeton. (click it for more info). The one word of caution is that if it's a weekend there can be a lot of traffic at the lower end of the trail due to people parking for the hike up the mountain. You'll also be passing right through the Mt. Princeton Hot Springs facility, but I posted all this earlier.

There was some suggestion of a side trip to the Great Sand Dunes NP. Is that still on your radar or has that person dropped out?

I was really looking forward to meeting and running with you guys, but after not receiving any responses to my queries for a few days I gave up. I'll still be happy to help in any way I can.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
ATTENTION TAT 2.0:

I believe you are headed into the area that is under a flash flood watch. Pay very close attention to the weather, be mindful of where you camp, you'll be in the vicinity of the Spring Burn Scar which will contribute to a higher than normal probability of flooding.

I'll try to get you more information.

Reactions: NØMAD

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
ATTENTION TAT 2.0:

I believe you are headed into the area that is under a flash flood watch. Pay very close attention to the weather, be mindful of where you camp, you'll be in the vicinity of the Spring Burn Scar which will contribute to a higher than normal probability of flooding.

Attachments

Reactions: N8FLY

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

ATTENTION TAT 2.0:

Thanks. We’ve got eyes on the radar & wx radio on monitor.

No_Pavement_Pls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SE Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Lampmann
Member #

2.0 is re - engaging with TAT today in Trinidad CO, planning SOR route. Appreciate any intel on conditions or not to be missed segments - we are 4 vehicles, 1 is stock
Stock shouldn't be any problem. You might want to spot him during the one rocky section of Tincup Pass. You do have to drive through the edge of the lake. I haven't heard any advisories about the water being deep. You'll be passing close to a couple of trail heads of fun trails when you're between Salida and Buena Vista. Consider taking an optional run up Mt. Princeton. (click it for more info). The one word of caution is that if it's a weekend there can be a lot of traffic at the lower end of the trail due to people parking for the hike up the mountain. You'll also be passing right through the Mt. Princeton Hot Springs facility, but I posted all this earlier.

There was some suggestion of a side trip to the Great Sand Dunes NP. Is that still on your radar or has that person dropped out?

I was really looking forward to meeting and running with you guys, but after not receiving any responses to my queries for a few days I gave up. I'll still be happy to help in any way I can.
Thanks very much ! Sand Dunes interest was in 1.0 group. Enjoying CO so far, can't wait to see what's next

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

Thanks very much ! Sand Dunes interest was in 1.0 group. Enjoying CO so far, can't wait to see what's next
It's raining way more than normal.

BTW, you'll be passing really close to this in case you want to check it out:

Reactions: M Rose

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
IMAGINE MY SURPRISE to check the GPS trackers this morning and find one of you in my town. Last movement was almost 2 AM so I'm guessing it was a rough night with all the rain. Let me know if I can be of any help.

With all the rain, I'm wondering if the lake crossing along Tincup Pass could be an issue. I'm trying to find out and will advise.

BTW, you'll notice I make lots of suggestions of things to do along the CO trail. I moved here in 2005 from AL and still find CO to be an amazing adventure. IMO, the Shadow route causes you to miss the best trail sections of CO. While Tincup is probably the most interesting CO SOR section, it's still kinda low on the scale of what we have to offer. On your approach to Tincup you'll be passing by the trailheads of some other really interesting trails. I just want to make sure you know this before you drive right by. There's also camping along most of them.

ADD:. If I can be of service, my number is 719.248.0936. Texting often works when nothing else does.

Last edited:
TAT 4.0 - I’m off trail playing in TN for the next week. All your trail reports have been appreciated!

With the exception of the mishap on Warloop Rd, would you advise it safe to travel Warloop solo? -BP

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
IMAGINE MY SURPRISE to check the GPS trackers this morning and find one of you in my town. Last movement was almost 2 AM so I'm guessing it was a rough night with all the rain. Let me know if I can be of any help.

With all the rain, I'm wondering if the lake crossing along Tincup Pass could be an issue. I'm trying to find out and will advise.

BTW, you'll notice I make lots of suggestions of things to do along the CO trail. I moved here in 2005 from AL and still find CO to be an amazing adventure. IMO, the Shadow route causes you to miss the best trail sections of CO. While Tincup is probably the most interesting CO SOR section, it's still kinda low on the scale of what we have to offer. On your approach to Tincup you'll be passing by the trailheads of some other really interesting trails. I just want to make sure you know this before you drive right by. There's also camping along most of them.
I've just been told by a reliable source that the water crossing at the lake shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: M Rose

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
TAT 4.0 - I’m off trail playing in TN for the next week. All your trail reports have been appreciated!

With the exception of the mishap on Warloop Rd, would you advise it safe to travel Warloop solo? -BP
If you’re an experienced off roader it should be ok. If you’re new to four wheeling you should bypass it. Get out frequently to pick your line before proceeding.

Reactions: MDV Hank

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
TAT 1.0 (last one remaining). Leaving Florida Saturday morning. Skipping OK. Should get to Trinidad CO Monday evening. Then back on the TAT Tuesday 6 July.

Last edited:

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Paul, If you are bypassing OK then you will be in front of me, I’m leaving Tuesday and I think I have about 195 to get to Trinidad, CO and plan on driving until I get there or until I get tired which ever comes first, I have to do my chores Tuesday morning before I can leave

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Paul, If you are bypassing OK then you will be in front of me, I’m leaving Tuesday and I think I have about 195 to get to Trinidad, CO and plan on driving until I get there or until I get tired which ever comes first.
You guys should hook up.

Reactions: DevilDodge

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Paul, If you are bypassing OK then you will be in front of me, I’m leaving Tuesday and I think I have about 195 to get to Trinidad, CO and plan on driving until I get there or until I get tired which ever comes first.
You guys should hook up.
Maybe I'll pause in Trinidad to let you catch up.

Tim... how much of the TAT do you plan on doing, or how many days do you plan on being gone before turning back home?

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Tim... how much of the TAT do you plan on doing, or how many days do you plan on being gone before turning back home?
Paul, I plan on running until 1 of these 3 scenarios occur, #1 I reach Port Orford, OR #2 my back decides the trail is too hard on my body and it is time to go home or #3 I run out of gas money. I am pretty tough for a broken down half crippled old fart, so I am tossing out #2, I “think” I have enough gas money so Im tossing out #3 so that just leaves #1, reaching Port Orford, OR

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

Paul, I plan on running until 1 of these 3 scenarios occur, #1 I reach Port Orford, OR #2 my back decides the trail is too hard on my body and it is time to go home or #3 I run out of gas money. I am pretty tough for a broken down half crippled old fart, so I am tossing out #2, I “think” I have enough gas money so Im tossing out #3 so that just leaves #1, reaching Port Orford, OR
Tim, do you still have to be back in Fountain, CO on the 14th?

Maybe the 3 of us could at least hook up for the run over Tincup Pass.

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Tim, do you still have to be back in Fountain, CO on the 14th?

Maybe the 3 of us could at least hook up for the run over Tincup Pass.
Neal, I rescheduled my meeting, so I am free to explore and travel until ???? I would enjoy wheeling over Tincup pass with you

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
TAT 1.0 is now TAT 1.1. I'm back on the road. Spending the night in a Cracker Barrel parking lot in Pearl Mississippi (near Jackson). Right next to the highway... probably won't be a good night of sleep. But breakfast will be good! They open at 0700.

Plan is for us to meet in CO Monday and get back on the TAT Tuesday.

TAT 2.0, how was Tincup Pass?

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: CMac and MDV Hank