Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
TAT 1.0. So the slow group (TAT 2.0 was still a day behind us when we flipped) is down to one... me. What to do....

I am taking a break from the TAT to visit my elderly parents in Florida ( only 1100 miles from Alma). Two days to drive there, spend maybe three days there, then head back west (I live in WA) and try to pick up the TAT in CO (Hi Neal) and go from there.

I am typing this from a motel outside of Tupelo. I'm about ten hours from my parents.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Thanks for the updates. I'm so glad everyone is okay.

I've been planning to run with you guys for CO, but am left wondering how that might work considering the latest developments.

TAT 2.0, what are your plans?

Last edited:

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

TAT 1.0. So the slow group (TAT 2.0 was still a day behind us when we flipped) is down to one... me. What to do....

I am taking a break from the TAT to visit my elderly parents in Florida ( only 1100 miles from Alma). Two days to drive there, spend maybe three days there, then head back west (I live in WA) and try to pick up the TAT in CO (Hi Neal) and go from there.

I am typing this from a motel outside of Tupelo. I'm about ten hours from my parents.
So very sorry to learn of the events. Glad all are physically ok. God Bless You all. -Scott

No_Pavement_Pls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SE Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Lampmann
Member #

So sorry to hear the news, but so very glad you had the equipment and experience to get everyone out safe.

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ

Where in Florida? Townwise? I looked but can’t find the link to the Facebook page.

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Where in Florida? Townwise? I looked but can’t find the link to the Facebook page.
My parents are in Lake Helen, Florida. I live in WA, the other corner of the country.

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mechanicsville Iowa
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ke0uvb
Service Branch
USAF
Its a great trip, I would love to do it again. We met a number of challenges along the way. Good luck , have a great run.
Joe
Nomad Overlanding

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

TAT 2.0 is still out there.

I plan on leaving FL Sat, and figure three days to get to CO to pick up the TAT.
Maybe we will run into each other out Colorado way, I am leaving Tuesday July 6th headed south west to catch the TAT near Elkhart, KS

Reactions: Mrprez

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Maybe we will run into each other out Colorado way, I am leaving Tuesday July 6th headed south west to catch the TAT near Elkhart, KS
That would be nice.

I will post when I’m approaching CO.

Last edited:
Reactions: NMBruce

DEADBEEF

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Upstate South Carolina, SC, USA
First Name
Michele
Last Name
Lary
So after a few days decompressing from ~2400 miles we covered in 16 days on the TAT from Ripley WV to AR/OK border a few things to mention. The AR leg was full of surprises. The Warloop Rd events already mentioned, but we also saw our first bear on the trail that same morning as we departed White Oak Campground heading towards Warloop Rd, exciting. We also did our good deed as we came upon a fire burning along side the trail in Eastern AR. We all jumped out of our cars and grabbed the fire extinguishers thinking we could put it out, since it was a hot dry day In middle of nowhere. But as we approached we heard crackling as the fire was started below an electrical pole. So not wanting to risk electric shock we called it in to 911 giving them the lat/lon location, and moved on. Later on “TURTLE” mentioned (they were behind us at this point) they saw 3 fire trucks heading to the fire. Also I have a much more appreciation to having proper recovery points and gear while on the trail. Of course less than 24 hours before Warloop Rd we did have to rescue the Toyota Land Cruiser from the drop off side of a narrow gravel road after passing on coming traffic. He did not have a winch but did have recovery points, kinetic rope and tow strap. But the strap of course was not accessible since it was in his truck on the downhill side, and the kinetic rope in this circumstance was not going to work. Phew what an AR adventure.

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I had a wheel bearing go bad on the trailer in Mississippi on the way to Florida. I had on hand most of what I needed to repair/replace it, but it put me behind a few hours. If you’re pulling a trailer, carry a loaded hub assembly, and a spare axle nut, washer, and cotter pins. And a large enough socket for the axle nut. Some emery cloth will also come in handy.

I was “lucky” enough to discover the issue at a gas stop in a town with a Tractor Supply store close by, as my spindle nut and washer were not really reusable. You or I may not be so lucky the next time.

My first stop after the repair was a Northern Tool and Equipment store to get another loaded hub assembly, and another spindle nut and washer. The hub assembly I pulled off the trailer was not reusable (a new set of bearings would not have done any good)... I needed a whole new loaded assembly.

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Boy. The adventure never ends. If anything...you guys can write a blog about how to fix anything that can go wrong.

Hope things progress better from here on out for all those still traveling

No_Pavement_Pls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SE Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Lampmann
Member #

Thanks for the updates. I'm so glad everyone is okay.

I've been planning to run with you guys for CO, but am left wondering how that might work considering the latest developments.

TAT 2.0, what are your plans?
2.0 is re - engaging with TAT today in Trinidad CO, planning SOR route. Appreciate any intel on conditions or not to be missed segments - we are 4 vehicles, 1 is stock

Reactions: armyRN