Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I wish you were joking but judging by the freshness of much of the pavement I fear you are being honest...

Maybe I'll need to take up recreational space flight instead. -BP

It was intended as a joke.

Just hit the fast-forward button on your truck and head towards the Rockies.

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

It was intended as a joke.

Just hit the fast-forward button on your truck and head towards the Rockies.
Or drive a Delorean that can hit 88mph and go back a few years. Of course unpaved roads and Deloreans usually don't go together, unless the Delorean is Doc Brown's.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
TAT 1.0. Yesterday we stopped at a fruitstand that also sold meat (only in Arkansas). So we bought a 4 pack of burger patties, and we all had hamburgers for dinner. We camped at the Petit Jean State Park Campground last night. This morning after showering I made us muffins for breakfast. For lunch today we stopped at the Oark Cafe, quite a popular spot.

Tonight we are at the White Rock Mountain Campground in the Ozark National Forest. We are a couple miles east of Warloop Road, so we'll be hitting that in the morning. Beautiful day on the TAT today.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zombie

Local Expert Virginia, USA
Investor

Advocate III

Richmond, VA USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZTU
@Zombie Do you recall where the road was closed in your Day 15 video? Not that I don't enjoy a good detour but no need to make unnecessary turnarounds where others have gone and seen before me. Thanks in advance! -BP
Not really sure where it is. There is a Road Closed sign at the turn onto the road and it only goes for a mile before the end so no significant back tracking.

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
Not sure what lies ahead or in the west but I'm surprised (and confused?) at how much pavement there's been so far. -BP
Wait for it! Arkansas has a lot of dirt roads and OK is I’d guess 90% dirt. From there on, very little in the way of paved roads.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

You guys will have to tell us how Warloop Road was, both John and I had to detour around that section in April when we were there.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

DEADBEEF

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Upstate South Carolina, SC, USA
First Name
Michele
Last Name
Lary
You guys will have to tell us how Warloop Road was, both John and I had to detour around that section in April when we were there.
Not really sure where it is. There is a Road Closed sign at the turn onto the road and it only goes for a mile before the end so no significant back tracking.
TAT 1 did not hit the road closed and we are in front of TAT 2. We downloaded the detour tracks from this forum and had them loaded into our Gaia so we had the work arounds. Mrprez posted the tracks on post number 395 April 16, page 20.

Reactions: Mrprez

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Challenging and technical. Definitely 4WD low terrain. Mostly downhill. Just be careful or you might flip your vehicle.

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Challenging and technical. Definitely 4WD low terrain. Mostly downhill. Just be careful or you might flip your vehicle.
I’m glad you guys got to experience that section, I will look forward to it on my next trip through there. As far as my vehicle, I redesigned my storage and the weight is mostly down low in the bed drawer system, so it shouldn’t be that top heavy.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Have fun in the red mud across Central Oklahoma! Parts of the state have seen 8+ inches of rain in the last couple of days.
I was wondering why the 2nd group bypassed OK on the interstate yesterday. Now I know!

• Haha
Reactions: CMac

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
TAT 1.0. Saturday we met a nice couple doing the TAT driving a large Landcruiser "Turtle". We had lunch,with them at the Oark Cafe, and they decided to join us. So now four vehicles in the group.

On the way to the campsite Sat night, they pulled over a little too much to let a truck pass and started to slide sideways off the road (steep drop off and a long way down). With cables and straps attached front and rear we got them back on the road. Scary.

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
TAT 1.0. So next morning was Warloop. Some challenging spots for sure, but it is mostly downhill. I was tailgunner. After the last major ledge, one of our group swung a little too wide around a rock and started to climb over a large log on the other side of the trail. She went up and over, ultimately landing on her roof (pics on TAT Facebook page). Side airbags deployed. And her dog bolted from the vehicle and took off running. Driver unhurt.

We had to reposition vehicle #3 so I could move up since I had a winch. And fortunately I brought a winch cable extension. So after attaching a pulley to a large tree and using my extension line we got it on its side. We climbed in to put it in gear, set the emergency brake, then pulled it over on all four wheels. We let it sit for a few minutes, then started it up. Ran ok, but no real brakes to speak of.

So this was around 1000-ish. We still couldn't find the dog. Search continued. We were prepped to camp on the trail and keep looking. She was finally found around 1900.

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
TAT 1.0. So now that we had the happy reunion, we slowly drove the right sided vehicle off the trail and into town. Spongy brakes but the e brake worked. Parked it, and we got rooms at a nice motel 6 in Alma. Plan was to get a good night's sleep, and meet at Cracker Barrel for breakfast and decide what to do.

So we did.

Turtle is continuing on the TAT. The events over the last two days spooked another member (TATing can be dangerous!) So they are leaving the TAT to visit family in Texas.

I drove the flipped vehicles owner and puppy dog to the car rental place to get a vehicle, and then followed her back to her parked X-Terra to unload it and get everything into the rental. We don't know if they'll total it (my guess) or if they'll fix it. So she's heading back home to Florida.

Last edited: