Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
If one of you that is organizing this event wants some help thats why I'm here just message me @Kent R and I will help you out with the RP and calendar. And by the way that was me with the West TX meet-up I put the area to far so everyone in TX and NM got notified. @Salvat sorry about that.

Salvat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

If one of you that is organizing this event wants some help thats why I'm here just message me @Kent R and I will help you out with the RP and calendar. And by the way that was me with the West TX meet-up I put the area to far so everyone in TX and NM got notified. @Salvat sorry about that.
No worries Kent! I think it was more of an issue that the “Remove” function didn’t work properly. So it was impossible to leave the thread notifications off. The originally notification was great... just not the reply notifications from everyone. [emoji16]

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
No worries Kent! I think it was more of an issue that the “Remove” function didn’t work properly. So it was impossible to leave the thread notifications off. The originally notification was great... just not the reply notifications from everyone. [emoji16]
Ok I will bring that up at our next Ambassador conf call. Thanks!

Navigator

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX
Member #

I know it's short notice but I see a few others posting about trips so I thought I would post as well.

My dad and I are going on an exploratory/fact finding trip back to Colorado toward the end of September. Basically, the trip is to get familiar with Engineer Pass, Black Bear Pass, and the new Rimrocker Trail that goes from Montrose, CO to Moab, UT.

Here's the basic plan (if weather permits):

Sept, 27th - Thu - Leave DFW Area for Lake City, CO. Stay in Lake City for one night.
Sept, 28th - Fri - Lake City, CO to Ouray, CO via Engineer Pass (If time permits: Ouray, CO to Telluride, CO via Black Bear Pass) Stay in Telluride for one night.
Sept, 29th - Sat - Telluride, CO to Montrose, CO to start of Rimrocker Trail. Camp somewhere on the trail.
Sept, 30th - Sun - Break camp and head to Moab, UT Stay in Moab for one night.
Oct, 1st - Mon - Leave Moab, UT for Texas - Stop somewhere when tired.
Oct, 2nd - Tue - Continue driving to the DFW Area.

If you have the time and want to tag-along for some are all of this proposed plan, let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: TXFoster

Salvat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

Navigator will update the OP with our next meeting. I think it was OCT 27th. I think he will also post some of the trips/events we have come up also.

Salvat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

Wanted to post some details on the upcoming Oct 5th, 6th, 7th trip I am planning. Anybody from our meetups is welcome to join, even if you haven't made it to one yet. We will be running the southwestern portion of Oklahoma Adventure Trail (OAT) from I-35 (near Turner Falls) to the western edge of Oklahoma (north of Hollis, OK). Plan is to leave out from DFW after work on Friday, Oct 5th and travel to the area around Turner Falls via I-35. We will meet for dinner at Smokin' Joes Rib Ranch at 7:30p. We will camp the Chickasaw National Recreation Area for the night (details below). If you do not want to camp with the group Friday night you can meet up with us as we start out on Saturday, Oct 6th. We will meet at the Arbuckle Fried Pied Store (Sinclair Gas Station @ Hwy 77 & I-35) at 9:00am to start the OAT traveling along the route to Quartz Mountain Nature Park and camp the night. Depending on when we roll into camp there is opportunity to do some hiking or fishing around Lake Altus. Sunday, Oct 7th we will continue on the OAT till about noon. Please note there is a "Tough water crossing" just north of Lake Altus which we will tackle pretty early that morning. There is a bypass of this water crossing for those that don't want to give it a shot. We will have full recovery gear (including winch, recovery boards and Hi-Lift), so if we have issues we can get ourselves out. The crossing itself is pretty simple and shallow, but both banks are short soft sand and a little steep. Depending on when we get through the crossing we will continue on until about noon... break for lunch then start back to the Dallas area. I expect the trip back to Dallas to take about 4 hours via paved roads. I will edit this post with more details in the next few days (GPX file, YouTube video of the route showing the crossing & camping details). So far we only have 2 confirmed rigs, but anybody from the meetups is welcome to join. If you want any more details feel free to PM me.

Here is a link to some info, plus a GPX file of the entire route.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/making-of-the-oklahoma-adventure-trail.836706/

Camp Sites:
10/5 - Chickasaw National Recreation Area - Guys Sandy site -- This site is first come first serve with no option for reservations, but this is a slow season so there will likely be open sites.

10/6 - Quartz Mountain Nature Park -- This park does not take reservations for camping. This is off-season so we should not have an issue finding camp sites.

These links have some YouTube video of the route we will be doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: TXFoster and Kent R

ShriverSauce

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Argyle Tx
Member #

It's been a while since I have made it to one of the meetups. I'm not sure how the locations for the meetups get selected, but has Marty-B's in Bartonville been considered? The place get packed on a Saturday night. Hopefully we will see everyone in October.

Navigator

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX
Member #

It's been a while since I have made it to one of the meetups. I'm not sure how the locations for the meetups get selected, but has Marty-B's in Bartonville been considered? The place get packed on a Saturday night. Hopefully we will see everyone in October.
At the end of each meet up, we simply take suggestions for the next date and location and then we kinda vote on it.

Reactions: Kent R

Salvat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

Updated my Oct trip post with some links to more info and a few YouTube videos of the section we will be doing.

Reactions: TXFoster

Salvat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

We also have a few member trips coming up. You will have to read through the posts to find them though.

@Navigator - should we add member trips to the OP of this thread, so folks don’t have to dig through every post?