Rank I

Contributor I

Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Petrone
Member #

I thought it would be cool to have thread where we could discuss photography, camera gear, and maybe share some samples of our work. I'm totally an amateur, but I love learning more about this hobby so feel free to critique any of my "work".

So, to start things off;

What camera are you using?

Mine is a Nikon D5000

I'll post some pictures later...
[/QUOTE

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Nikon D600 - I do primarily landscape, timelapse, and travel videos, or promotional videos for non-profits in our area at no charge. I also use a couple of GoPros and a DJI Mavic Air 2. But being in southern Arizona, it might be a tad far to make a meetup in Virginia! I was stationed at Quantico in the early 1980s, and it was a nice place.

Reactions: Narwhal

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Nothing fancy but here are some pix of my solo run Friday. It was 107 at the bottom and 102 at Crown King, 7200ft elevation
My gopro mounted on the windshield crapped out due to the heat. I started the trail just north of Phoenix at Lake Pleasant and and wound up the mountains for over 70 miles of single lane unmaintained rough and rocky old mining trail.

It starts out as graded road but quickly goes to unmaintained.

Here is the super highway portion. By the time I got to the more primitive part, it was just too hot to stop.

This is the only vehicle I saw all day until the end.
Crown King Hood.jpg

Looking back at Lake Pleasant.

Crown King 1.jpg

Much of the vistas were obscured by wild fire smoke.

Crown King 2.jpg

Crown King 3.jpg

This was a scouting trip without the trailer. Found lots of opportunities to camp, but this lake was off limits. Hope to go back after they get some rain, it greens up, and cools down a bit. We are in the middle of a 100 year draught, now is the time when they normally get their rain, but not a drop for 6 months.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

@old_man - I went for a solo run through a forest in my XJ on the same day. Little cooler here. It was the first day this year that I wore shorts! :sob:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have a Nikon D850 really enjoy landscape photography. My pictures are posted on
Petronephotography.com would enjoy chating
Or maybe a group meet up. Fairfax Va
Mike
Checked out your site, @McpJeep; thanks for linking it.

VERY cool images. There's a lot there to like. I recognized more than one spot, from the Grist Mill to the Blue Ridge Mtn haze and more.

I've worked a lot down in NoVa over the years and next time I'm down through there would love to get together somewhere for a meal or coffee to talk photography.

I LOVE my D850. It's been my go-to camera for several years. A lot of the glass I purchased, even before having a full frame digital, was with having a full-frame like the D850 in mind; especially for night sky shooting. I became so enamoured with night sky shooting that I'd stay up all night so often I didn't do as much golden and blue hour landscapes as I'd like, though was so often in prime landscape territory to do so.

There's not much I treasure more than being alone out under the darkest night skies I can find and shooting all night long.

Most of the below was done during solo-adventures, off-grid and away, when I could run my own schedule far away from the madness for weeks and months at a time.

A few of the images I've done with mine:

carlightsonrvrrd-5821-pano.jpg
Road Along the Rio Bravo del Norte

I love the illustrative quality of this. Its not about stellar sharpness or crispness, but about the mood, the feeling, of when I was there. I see this image as being an illustration to a novel, or kid's book even, about mystery and coming darkness of night.

There are so many stars when in good dark sky country that even well-known constellations like Orion, commonly seen around the world, start to blend in with others. You can see Orion's belt in the left quarter of the image above.

roaddude_chisospano-frmwestendent-8231-1350.jpg
Chihuahuan Desert Sunrise

Old fallen volcanic mountain range at dawn. Not that spectacular of an image, pano-print-wise, but I love it. After having wandered around the desert all night scouting future photo op locations, then watching the lone planet and cantaloupe sky emerging, and wanting to add more panoramic images to my port, I grabbed this one. All fuel for future fires.

roaddude_moonoversantana-6428-2.jpg
Moonset Over Mexico

This was a lucky shot. Had the right lens on after shooting 180 the other way for hopefully dark sky and rising Milky Way and waiting for the moon to set behind me for darker skies, I spun around and saw this. Shutter drag and all, I love it.

roaddude_milkywayrising-6091.jpg
Jupiter telling me the Milky Way is about to rise.

roaddude_moonrise-pena-sepia-7563.jpg
Apache Moonrise

This is a rare watering spot where Apaches were known to stop to rest on their way to and from raiding trips into Mexico.

Simple shot really, with time exposure and a simple handheld Streamlight pocket light to illuminate the tree. I'd like to work on perfecting and blending the lighting.

roaddude_spacecowboy-7454-900.jpeg
Space Cowboy

Anyone know that ref?

I love this image. Another one that on its own is not that spectacular to some. For me, I'm transported instantly to endless nights wandering and shooting all night, alone in deep darkness, marveling at our tiny place in the Universe.

Last edited:

Magnetic Red

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Scott
Member #

Wildrose charcoal kilns, Death Valley. Went here for the first time last night. Soon as I started photographing the kilns a small SUV pulls up ( this is down the end of about a 30 mile road in DV mind you). Turns out it was a tourist from Detroit that wanted to see the kilns and just hang out. (at 10:30 - in the middle of nowhere) Anyway, if you ever get the chance, they are definitely worth the trip to see. There are 10 of these each about 25 feet high with walls that look to be three feet thick. Built in the 1800's but look almost new.
kilns.jpg

Narwhal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgetown, Texas, United States
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Avila
Member #

Service Branch
Navy - Submarines
I shoot on a Sony A6400. It’s a great compact camera for my hybrid shooting lifestyle. I can stuff it in a small bag or clip it comfortably to a backpack using the Peak Design Capture Clip.

Attachments

Edwademd

Rank II

Contributor III

Telluride, CO, USA
First Name
Tad
Last Name
Wade
Member #

I thought it would be cool to have thread where we could discuss photography, camera gear, and maybe share some samples of our work. I'm totally an amateur, but I love learning more about this hobby so feel free to critique any of my "work".

So, to start things off;

What camera are you using?

Mine is a Nikon D5000

I'll post some pictures later...
I love photography and, while i was using a 5D MkII a few years ago, the convenience of using my iPhone and the time i took to edit my DSLR photos led me to rely on my iPhone camera more and more. Recently i bought the Canon R5 and the 100-500mm lens because the wildlife opportunities will be awesome around our new home in Telluride!

Edwademd

Rank II

Contributor III

Telluride, CO, USA
First Name
Tad
Last Name
Wade
Member #

Wildrose charcoal kilns, Death Valley. Went here for the first time last night. Soon as I started photographing the kilns a small SUV pulls up ( this is down the end of about a 30 mile road in DV mind you). Turns out it was a tourist from Detroit that wanted to see the kilns and just hang out. (at 10:30 - in the middle of nowhere) Anyway, if you ever get the chance, they are definitely worth the trip to see. There are 10 of these each about 25 feet high with walls that look to be three feet thick. Built in the 1800's but look almost new.
View attachment 203906
Wow! Stunning! I’d love to get involved with astrophotography. What settings do you use generally? what interval? What program to blend images. Any tips on pointing at Polaris? Do you focus stack? What light do you use for light painting the foreground?

Magnetic Red

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Scott
Member #

Wow! Stunning! I’d love to get involved with astrophotography. What settings do you use generally? what interval? What program to blend images. Any tips on pointing at Polaris? Do you focus stack? What light do you use for light painting the foreground?
Thanks, this particular shot was 300 seconds at ISO 4000, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8. I would normally do a series (at least 15 shots) of 30 second exposures @ ISO 6400 and then blend them together in PS using the "lighten" blend mode. I don't normally focus stack as the hyperfocal distance for the 14 mm is pretty short (that is everything is pretty much in focus from near to far when focused on infinity). I normally use a small adjustable LED panel (Luxli Viola) for most of my light painting, for this shot I used my headlamp. I find the Polaris by spotting the Big Dipper and following the lower end of the dipper up to the right. You don't have to exact

Reactions: Boort

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Late April on the Paria Plateau, Vermillon Cliffs Nat'l Monument. Nikon D600, 14mm, 20 sec, f/2.8, 1600 ISO. Used a single Accmor LED mini balloon light mostly buried in the sand. Light on the horizon is likely Page, Az.
We'll be going back when we can get a night with a little bit of moonlight so that the really neat landscape is more evident.
WhitePocketTree01.jpeg

Last edited: