Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

Shafer Trail, Canyonlands NP. Not a tough trail, but tight in sections and not good if you don't have a head for heights. My wife and I shared the driving for this one, and she still hasn't forgiven me that the parts she drove had a sheer drop from the driver's side (we drove bottom to top).

RON_4096-Edit.jpg

Monument Valley

RON_4147.jpg

Loch Garry, Western Highlands, Scotland. All about waiting for a gap in those clouds ;)

RON_3783-Edit-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

drlvr

Rank II

Contributor III

Tampa, Florida, USA
First Name
Leon
Last Name
van Rooyen
Member #

Service Branch
L
I use Canon - I have 2x Canon 5D Mk4 bodies; my birding lens in a Canon 500-f4; wildlife I use Canon 100-400mm or my Canon 70--200mm, also have a wide-angle, and an assortment of other Canon lenses. I travel to Africa 3-5 times a year and do photo safaris. I live in Tampa Florida and to stay sharp with my skills and settings I take photos of birds, gators, and any other critter that I can find.

Attachments

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some advice on a problem I have recording videos. Specifically, an audio problem related to my rig. I know that's kind of a separate subject from pure photography, but I'm hoping someone here might know the answer. I did a lot of vlogging in my rig last year and got home to find out all the footage I shot in my rig included a very annoying buzz sound caused by my power supply. I had my camera (Canon EOS 6D MkII) connected to my 12v/120v power inverter via a dummy battery plug. So, my guess is that the inverter caused some interference that was picked up by the mic (hotshoe mounted shotgun mic). Does anyone know if there's something I can put between the inverter and the camera that will eliminate that noise?

I know I could avoid this by just using camera batteries, but it was really nice to be able to leave the camera on and just hit record without worrying about the battery dying.

Thanks!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Aequitas1916

As A Nikon Shooter I know the extended Grips for my Nikons offer either 2 regular batteries (one in the body & one in a tray in the grip) or 1 in the body & a much larger battery in the grip. Not Sure if the extended grip for the Canon 6D MkII offers a similar setup.

Another option used by Astro-photography shooters is the Orion 12V DC Power Adapters I believe that the 6d is supported. These are like your dummy plug but convert 12v to the 7.2v DC (IIRC) that the the camera needs. If you don't mind DIYing it there are plans on some of the Astrophoto forums ( or 12V adapter for EOS 6D? - DSLR, Mirrorless & General-Purpose Digital Camera DSO Imaging - Cloudy Nights )

The last option is a better inverter with pure-sine wave output and a good noise filter.

Boort

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Thanks for the tip! I'll look into the Orion power adapter. I do astrophotography too, but had been making that work ok with the inverter (since sound isn't an issue with that). But, plugging the camera directly into my 12v outlet would be more convenient anyway. Wouldn't have cables running all around the cab then.

Thanks!

Reactions: Boort

Overland A Far

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
Member #

I would love to take some quality photos. However what Steve has said might as well be in French. I need the dummies guide to photography
Pick up a simple and easy to use point and shoot digital camera to start. Nikon and Lumix make great ones that can take quality video as well. Both have YouTube videos showing how to use. Once you have learned the terminology you can upgrade if you choose.

Reactions: stoney126

ak.bronco

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ketchikan, Alaska, USA
First Name
Zack
Last Name
Stewart
As a photographer myself, I for one cannot wait to see where all my overlanding trips will take me. Currently I'm stuck to somewhat tame roads as my off road beast isn't built yet. But here a few from my tame adventures.

Attachments

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

Shafer Trail, Canyonlands NP. Not a tough trail, but tight in sections and not good if you don't have a head for heights. My wife and I shared the driving for this one, and she still hasn't forgiven me that the parts she drove had a sheer drop from the driver's side (we drove bottom to top).

View attachment 180586

Monument Valley

View attachment 180587

Loch Garry, Western Highlands, Scotland. All about waiting for a gap in those clouds ;)

View attachment 180588
Nice pics, what camera are you using

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

View attachment 180586

Monument Valley

View attachment 180587

View attachment 180588
Nice pics, what camera are you using
Thanks. These were all taken with a Nikon D7100.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR

View attachment 180586

Monument Valley

View attachment 180587

View attachment 180588
Love the White Rim and Shafer. I have a video on youtube that shows it from the Dashcam on my Earthcruiser. Great photos

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Just thought I'd share a few more of my favourite landscape shots.
Landscape is my primary interest but I do sometimes dabble in other areas (astrophotography, travel portraits, wildlife and macro)

#1 is Ibex Dunes in Death Valley

180525_Southwest_115-Edit.JPG

#2 is Thor's Well on the Oregon Coast

190614_Oregon_Coast_472-Edit.JPG

#3 is the Wanaka Tree on the South Island of New Zealand

170315_Indochina_NZ_7896.JPG

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
We do like the wide-format landscape photos and think as a style they are very under appreciated. Where was this taken?