Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
OK guys, I'm really stoked right now 'cause I just purchased a really good camera and lenses. I blame Micheal for the sudden inspiration, as he just upgraded his equipment recently. My old camera, a Sony a300 will be used as a back up and for my wife to use for macro-photos. I'm not afraid to buy used equipment and so far in life I've had great success getting top shelf things second hand. My new to me camera should be here by August 1st and I can't wait to get started on it. It is a Sony a65 with less than 3 thousand clicks on it, in excellent condition. Along with the lenses that I now have, 12mm 2.0 Rokinon, and a Minolta 70-210 beer can lens, (and a cheap ass kit lens that I rarely use ) I'll be getting two new ones, a 16-50 2.8 and a 35 1.8 all Sony.. I can't wait to get out there and start taking some images.... But,, to my point,, I'm very curious as to what all you other gear heads are using.. Photography is a great hobby, and a huge part of what we all do when we get off the proverbial grid... Thanks everyone, I hope we can start up a conversation.. DSC03852.jpg

JusticeZ33

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I run a Canon 5D MkIII as my primary with the 24-107mm as my primary lens. Also have a 16-35mm, a 70-300mm, and a 14mm. Backup body is a Canon 7D and usually the 70-300 is mounted on that. All stuffed into an F-Stop back pack.

Love photography...looking forward to seeing more of your shots.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

I just ordered a new to me camera as well. I had a pretty limited budget so I ended up getting a used Canon Rebel t1i on ebay for a great price. I also ordered the 55-250mm STM lens with it. It was used as a display and the lens covers hadn't even been taken off, I got it for a fraction of the price on Amazon. I have been using my phone for all my pictures and am excited to get my first DSLR and improve my photography skills!

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Primarily, I use:
Nikon D750 Full Frame dSLR body
Nikkor AF-S24-120mm f/4G ED VR
Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USA
Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
Various tripods, monopods, etc.

I also have (but rarely use any more):
Nikon F4s film body w/MB-20 and MB21 motor drives
Nikkor AF 16mm f/2.8D lens
Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4D lens
Nikkor AF 60mm f/2.8D Micro lens
Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.4D lens
Nikkor AF 180mm 2.8D ED-IF lens
Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D ED-IF lens
Several 35mm, 120/220, and medium format film cameras
And a Kodak Brownie Bullet like I got for my 8th birthday in 1961

Photography has been my oldest and most revisited hobby.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Mine too, I have a cedar chest full on old Minolta stuff , an x 700 , an SRT 101, good old steel and glass lenses and I don't know how many slide images.. Once in a while I break out the old Kodak carousel, the screen and look at em..

Reactions: Vincent Keith

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Just upgraded from the Nikon D5000 to the D5300, can't wait to spend some time playing with the new setup.

Here's another good thread other members have already chimed in on: Photography

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Good, and thanks... I'm curious what our resident pro WUzombies thinks of the Rokinon 14mm 2.8 lens. I figured out after our last trip that my old a300 just doesn't do it justice. Here are two images, the first, the tub of pine cones, was the 2nd shot I ever took with this lens. The second was taken in Big Bend 3 months later. Needless to say, I'm still learning to use it. DSC02190.jpg DSC02850.jpg

anotherJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
Cullen
Last Name
S
Member #

I bought the canon t3 back when it released just because I wanted something that could take better pictures than my cell phone back then. Once cell phone cameras started getting better and better I set aside my camera for a while. The past 6 months or so I have really been doubling down on photography. The t3 is a fine camera but very basic so I upgraded to the 70D recently. Read some books on the 70D specifically and other general photography books/youtube videos. Also have gotten familiar with Lightroom (how did I live without it?!). Now I am using the 70D with a 10-18mm and a cheap 75-300mm for the rare occasions I want zoom. Next I think I will get the 50mm prime for the general walk around town shots

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
@Oldfooladventures Moak photos look good. I take it you are shooting on a crop sensor camera. If not, that lens is even more amazing to not have any lens distortion.
Yes, the a300 is a crop sensor camera. So is the a65, but as I understand it, much less cropping.. Nevertheless, It is an amazing lens and finally a prime wide angle that is affordable, due to its being completely manual. The other really cool thing is the F stops. 2.8 thu 22.. It shoots best at around 4.5-6 but I've taken some amazing time exposures inside our home at 22.

Reactions: Kelly

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

What setup did you use for these shots?!
I have my Canon 6D connected to my little 80mm telescope riding on an Orion Atlas Pro EQ/AZ. It's pretty beefy, weighing around 30 pounds. I use a guiding system as well connected to a cheap little net-book type thing (I'm a Mac user, so I don't know all that much about Windows computers too much, but it runs the one piece of software I need!). It doesn't fit the off-road stuff too much, but whenever I get the chance to head for the hills and the fresh, clean and clear air at altitude, this stuff goes with me.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I have my Canon 6D connected to my little 80mm telescope riding on an Orion Atlas Pro EQ/AZ. It's pretty beefy, weighing around 30 pounds. I use a guiding system as well connected to a cheap little net-book type thing (I'm a Mac user, so I don't know all that much about Windows computers too much, but it runs the one piece of software I need!). It doesn't fit the off-road stuff too much, but whenever I get the chance to head for the hills and the fresh, clean and clear air at altitude, this stuff goes with me.
Ok, I need all that... beautiful shots!

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Ok, I need all that... beautiful shots!
No, you don't need all that, this is just what I have.. I don't know what experience you have for astro photography, but you could just start off with a camera, somewhat wide-angle lens, like a 50mn on a full frame, and tripod. Can make some extraordinary time lapse videos or star trail shots and such. Some very basic star trackers can be great platforms for wide angle shits when you expose upwards of a couple minutes.

Astrophotography is in some ways similar to @Michael Overland philosophy -- it doesn't matter what you drive!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
No, you don't need all that, this is just what I have.. I don't know what experience you have for astro photography, but you could just start off with a camera, somewhat wide-angle lens, like a 50mn on a full frame, and tripod. Can make some extraordinary time lapse videos or star trail shots and such. Some very basic star trackers can be great platforms for wide angle shits when you expose upwards of a couple minutes.

Astrophotography is in some ways similar to @Michael Overland philosophy -- it doesn't matter what you drive!
Absolutely !! there are many good tutorials on the tube that give a good starting point for f stop and time. After that, on your own as far as what you can capture... It's come so far since film camera... I just got my new stuff yesterday and here are a couple of images with the a65 and the 16-50, 2.8 SSM.. I'm really impressed with this camera, DSC09013.jpg DSC09014.jpg DSC09015.jpg and can't wait to get out in the field with it..

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Shot professionally in the 80s, but auto racing pulled me into a different career path in the 90s. Clients included Warn Industries, Subaru, Ford, Volvo-White, other automotive stuff.... shot film, 8x10, 4x5, 120 and 35mm. Sold the Sinars, Hasselblads and Canon F2ns to fund the racing and because they were just sitting there. Finally picked up a digital (Canon 20d ) and dabbled a little. I now carry (everywhere) the 20d because it isn't worth anything, a G11 and a 6d full frame...and my iPhone. My collection of lens keeps growing. 16-35 L 2.8, 24-105 L 4 IS, 70-200 L 2.8 IS II and my new favorite 100-400 L 4.5 IS II. Now I just need to learn how to store all the images I shoot. I'm not the most organized individual and always had assistants and lab rats to do that stuff. Post production is not my specialty. Just this past month I started organizing a new catalog in Lightroom and now I can't get LR to find it. Time to call in a professional...

I shoot mostly for my business website and weekly newsletter. Also started a new blog for my life after fly shop transition and non-fishing adventures. Haven't really printed any art pieces since the local Cibachrome printing place closed. I'm hoping to rekindle the passion and figure out the digital deal. I use to love to walk around the locations I shot at and do my own stuff on the 35mm. Momma don't take my Kodachrome away... too late.

Here's a couple images from a fishing trip to the Deschutes this week and a few favorites from other trips this year.

.Dragon Moon-8677.jpg
Rock Dragon plays with the Moon

Wild Horses-8585.jpg
Warm Springs Indian Ponies

Blitzen-8005.jpg
Blitzen River

Yucatan Tarpon-2312.jpg Yucatan-2192.jpg
San Felipe, Yucatan

Big Leap-8452.jpg
Pacific City

Whistler Bear-6866.jpg
Whistler, BC