Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
The 7000 series Nikons are serious bodies. Have you seen the newer fast zoom DX lenses that Sigma is offering? Seriously impressive.
I tried Sigma in the past and was disappointed. I expected more from their 2.8 lenses. Seemed like they were always searching in low light. Have they improved in quality? I've been out of the game for about 4 years now so I'm a little behind on what's new. lol

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Wow that's cool. I'll have to do some research. I'm staying DX since I don't plan to photograph professionally anymore. I've been trolling Ebay buying used Nikon lenses. I'll have to look at the Sigma offerings and head over to DPReview to see what their reviews say. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: WUzombies

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Wow that's cool. I'll have to do some research. I'm staying DX since I don't plan to photograph professionally anymore. I've been trolling Ebay buying used Nikon lenses. I'll have to look at the Sigma offerings and head over to DPReview to see what their reviews say. Thanks for the info.
I'd offer but I recently sold off my old 7000 and all the DX lenses that were worth having. Tokina's 12-24 has tested highly, but having owned Nikon's 12-24 f/4 (DX) I'm not sure it could compete. I have Tokina's 16-28 f/2.8 and it's nice for the price but doesn't hold a candle to the Nikkor (which I can't justify spending the money on).

Reactions: ShawnR

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

And that's the trade-off, right... Great glass costs a fortune, and for an amateur / not paid picture-taker like me it's a game that's too expensive to really get into. Inferior lenses are really that, and if you know there's better out there you feel it even more. It's a sickness, to be sure - like many other hobbies!

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

And that's the trade-off, right... Great glass costs a fortune, and for an amateur / not paid picture-taker like me it's a game that's too expensive to really get into. Inferior lenses are really that, and if you know there's better out there you feel it even more. It's a sickness, to be sure - like many other hobbies!
That's why I love used prime lenses. You can buy some serious glass on the cheap that way.

With that said the best camera in the world is the one you have with you, I've taken photos with a cheap (kit) 18-55 that are still on my wall because I left the good stuff at home for worry of damage.

Reactions: deeker and ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
That's why I love used prime lenses. You can buy some serious glass on the cheap that way.

With that said the best camera in the world is the one you have with you, I've taken photos with a cheap (kit) 18-55 that are still on my wall because I left the good stuff at home for worry of damage.
I often have people ask me for help with their camera because they think it's defective and doesn't take nice pictures. I agree the camera doesn't matter. You have to have some knowledge. I take the camera off auto and usually shoot manual or Aperture priority. Take some pics and show them. They are amazed at what their not so expensive camera can do. Show them some tricks like using a HSS flash, fill flash, metering for highlights, etc. Prime lenses are great too and even the lowly 50mm 1.8G Nikkor was a lens I always had with me. Especially when photographing weddings. I've been having a blast trolling Ebay. There are some great deals on used gear out there if you're patient and are diligent.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

We've had similar experiences with that then, I'm with you my rugged ol' 50mm 1.8 AFS-D rocks it. One of the opening themes in the beginner's book I wrote is "I can play a $100 pawn shop guitar just as badly as a $5,000 guitar, but in the hands of a master the $100 guitar will sing."

Reactions: deeker and ShawnR

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

View attachment 1102

How did they take this pic? Always wondered...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Could be as simple as a crop from a high res camera or could be as complicated as a stitched pano using a nodal rail and maybe some focus stacking. A nodal rail is important if you want straight pano shots instead of a curved shot.

Reactions: IronPercheron

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Could be as simple as a crop from a high res camera or could be as complicated as a stitched pano using a nodal rail and maybe some focus stacking. A nodal rail is important if you want straight pano shots instead of a curved shot.
I was thinking Pano but didnt know squat about rail

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I shoot mostly film...

1971 Miranda Sensorex SLR 35mm
1966 Miranda G SLR 35mm (used for shooting through my telescopes...this model was made for astronomers and scientists in mind...it had a lockable mirror among other unique features)
1983 Sears KS Super II SLR 35mm (for wet, muddy expeditions)
Go Pro and a Fuji 16mp pocket camera from the XP series...meaning waterproof, drop proof, dust and freeze proof...

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I shoot mostly film...

1971 Miranda Sensorex SLR 35mm
1966 Miranda G SLR 35mm (used for shooting through my telescopes...this model was made for astronomers and scientists in mind...it had a lockable mirror among other unique features)
1983 Sears KS Super II SLR 35mm (for wet, muddy expeditions)
Go Pro and a Fuji 16mp pocket camera from the XP series...meaning waterproof, drop proof, dust and freeze proof...
No issues getting filmed developed? I've been digital since 2001 so I'm a bit out of the loop. Or do you have your own darkroom?