Photography

• HTML tutorial

Overland A Far

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
Member #

Wow - the gear is endless. On our trips I opted for a Nikon D7000 and a couple good zoom lenses and for the belt pouch a Nikon point & shoot (idiot proof camera) which takes great pictures. I too grew tired of lugging around the large Nikon and lenses so for my Christmas present to me I picked up a Lumix G85 - super camera with a lot of new stabilizing and post focus features. Amazing what this can do. A lot lighter, smaller and just a dream to pack around. Still playing with it to learn all the features. But still like my Nikon as well. Picture is from Bow Lake in Banff National Park.

Attachments

black pearl 17

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

calgary, alberta, canada
First Name
christian
Last Name
scagliati
Member #

IM NOT PROFESSIONAL but I have been playing around with my camera for a while. I have canon t3i rebel..... all i have learned is through you tube pretty much
for newbies i will totally recommend my camera because is an older model not as expensive as the newer models and it will get you to learn the tricks 18 mpx crop sensor

for lenses I would love to get into a really nice one but i dont have the money for it now (IT CAN GET REALLY EXPENSIVE IN A HURRY) but all I have is the stock lens (18mm - 50mm) which is what i used the most mainly because the wide angle works awesome for landscape , 50 mm prime for specific pictures and 75 mm- 300 mm which i use to shoot wild life with out getting really close and some sport shots (surfing windsurfing etc etc..) also basic flash any flash will improve your photography so much.!! even in day light (all together around 1000$ cad maybe less used)

also i have GOPRO HERO 1, GOPRO HERO 5 SESS AND SONY ACTION CAM

action cams like gopro etc etc etc.. are reaaaaally easy to use and will do awesome pictures as well and it gives you more room for creativity mainly because you can use those usually when you dslr gets annoying or hard to use

I post pictures in the forums time to times but if you guys want to check out the quality of my camera go to my instagram --> chris.scags_17 there is some pics with my phone and my action cams but the majority are taken with the t3i you will notice the difference right away.... feel free to ask any question i will be happy to help...

ADVICE: maintain your equipment protected all the time i have been with my set up for 4 years having a safe place to put it is key i take the cameras everywhere i go bought a pelican case style for 40$ at princess auto (canada) and works wicked I leave you a pic of my set up... :-)20180212_212813.jpg 20180212_212851.jpg 20180212_212903.jpg

black pearl 17

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

calgary, alberta, canada
First Name
christian
Last Name
scagliati
Member #

So any suggestions for a second hand Newby camera and maybe programs to edit if needed again for newby/dohdoh
just did a post with what i have check it out... what i didnt mention was what to use to edit...... i will recommend to start working straight with Photoshop / light room they are a bit tricky to use at the beginning but after you learn what are you looking to accomplish in your pics it gets easy is only 10$ at month if you download photoshop cc

TIP: check youtube for tutorial they are many.!! good ones specially if you want to achieve something in specific you can do the search for that and you will find....

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
IM NOT PROFESSIONAL but I have been playing around with my camera for a while. I have canon t3i rebel..... all i have learned is through you tube pretty much
for newbies i will totally recommend my camera because is an older model not as expensive as the newer models and it will get you to learn the tricks 18 mpx crop sensor

for lenses I would love to get into a really nice one but i dont have the money for it now (IT CAN GET REALLY EXPENSIVE IN A HURRY) but all I have is the stock lens (18mm - 50mm) which is what i used the most mainly because the wide angle works awesome for landscape , 50 mm prime for specific pictures and 75 mm- 300 mm which i use to shoot wild life with out getting really close and some sport shots (surfing windsurfing etc etc..) also basic flash any flash will improve your photography so much.!! even in day light (all together around 1000$ cad maybe less used)

also i have GOPRO HERO 1, GOPRO HERO 5 SESS AND SONY ACTION CAM

action cams like gopro etc etc etc.. are reaaaaally easy to use and will do awesome pictures as well and it gives you more room for creativity mainly because you can use those usually when you dslr gets annoying or hard to use

I post pictures in the forums time to times but if you guys want to check out the quality of my camera go to my instagram --> chris.scags_17 there is some pics with my phone and my action cams but the majority are taken with the t3i you will notice the difference right away.... feel free to ask any question i will be happy to help...

ADVICE: maintain your equipment protected all the time i have been with my set up for 4 years having a safe place to put it is key i take the cameras everywhere i go bought a pelican case style for 40$ at princess auto (canada) and works wicked I leave you a pic of my set up... :-)View attachment 47776 View attachment 47778 View attachment 47779
Nice synopsis Black Pearl. I have the same camera but eventually upgraded to a sigma 18x300 lens. This became my go-to lens for on the go since I can shoot wide angle and decent zoom. Especially when I'm traveling on a ledge road that I want a shot from and can't get out of the vehicle (or to chicken to get out:blush:).

Definitely agree to pack the camera gear safely.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: black pearl 17

black pearl 17

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

calgary, alberta, canada
First Name
christian
Last Name
scagliati
Member #

Nice synopsis Black Pearl. I have the same camera but eventually upgraded to a sigma 18x300 lens. This became my go-to lens for on the go since I can shot wide angle and decent zoom. Especially when I'm traveling on a ledge road that I want a shot from and can't get out of the vehicle (or to chicken to get out:blush:).

Definitely agree to pack the camera gear safely.

Thanks for sharing.
18-300 MN sigma.....didn't know existed such a thing. ... and sounds great cuse there is not most annoying thing than change the dam lenses with your hands dusty / muddy / wet.. that lens has it all..... I'm defenetley looking into that..! Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T705W using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
18-300 MN sigma.....didn't know existed such a thing. ... and sounds great cuse there is not most annoying thing than change the dam lenses with your hands dusty / muddy / wet.. that lens has it all..... I'm defenetley looking into that..! Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T705W using OB Talk mobile app
I think they came out mid last year. I bought it for my Paris trip and it ended up the only lens I used. I now have it at the ready in the house and in the car when we're out and about. And sorry for typing MN. I meant mm. :flushed:
Sigma 18x300.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SS308

Revere

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, Kentucky
Member #

I have a Sony A6000, which I love. It's a great camera in a compact format. It's a very versatile camera. I use a speed booster to mount my old Canon FD prime lenses (from the 70's), I also have an LA-EA4 adapter that allows me to mount my auto-focus Minolta lenses (from the 80's) and I can of course mount many modern Sony e-mount lenses as well.
I can't recommend the Sony mirrorless cameras enough. The small size of them makes them fantastic for any type of adventure photography. They work just like a DSLR, with full manual control and interchangeable lenses. I actually went with the older Sony A5100 because I mainly use it for videoing, and I like the touch screen focus during videos! It also never does that annoying hunt for a focus you see with a lot of DSLR videos.

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

I love photography. I use my iPhone a lot and now with the new iPhone X, the photos are pretty amazing.

My camera gear is:
iPhone
GoPro 3 & GoPro 2.
Canon 7D
Ultra wide-angle Canon L-series EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
Standard zoom Canon L-series EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Telephoto zoom Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L-series IS II USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Housed in my old school Tamrac Expedition 5 SLR Photo Backpack.
IMG_4502.JPG

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I love photography. I use my iPhone a lot and now with the new iPhone X, the photos are pretty amazing.

My camera gear is:
iPhone
GoPro 3 & GoPro 2.
Canon 7D
Ultra wide-angle Canon L-series EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
Standard zoom Canon L-series EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Telephoto zoom Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L-series IS II USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Housed in my old school Tamrac Expedition 5 SLR Photo Backpack.
View attachment 48438
Nice set up. It is amazing how far the smart phone cameras have come along with the editing software for them.

Reactions: AprilC

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
True! I really like to use the app PicTapGo for editing on my phone. Do you have one that you prefer?
I'm an Android user so I didn't like any of the ones out there so I emailed them to myself to edit on the PC. I use Cyberlink software and they came out with a version for the smartphones. Still working on the ins and outs of it. :confounded:

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

I'm an Android user so I didn't like any of the ones out there so I emailed them to myself to edit on the PC. I use Cyberlink software and they came out with a version for the smartphones. Still working on the ins and outs of it. :confounded:
Some are not very user friendly. Try PicTapGo, it should be available for Android. You can layer filters, save your recipes, and the filters are great, not like some of the other filters out there that are insane and not very natural. I use Lightroom and Photoshop on my computer.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Some are not very user friendly. Try PicTapGo, it should be available for Android. You can layer filters, save your recipes, and the filters are great, not like some of the other filters out there that are insane and not very natural. I use Lightroom and Photoshop on my computer.
Thanks. I'll keep this in mind if the Android version of Cyberlink PhotoDirector fails me (or I it). I used to use Adobe products (Lightroom, etc.) but didn't like the subscription service model they went to. (call me old fashion). That is why I went with Cyberlink which is very Lightroom-ish.

Reactions: AprilC

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind if the Android version of Cyberlink PhotoDirector fails me (or I it). I used to use Adobe products (Lightroom, etc.) but didn't like the subscription service model they went to. (call me old fashion). That is why I went with Cyberlink which is very Lightroom-ish.
I feel the same way about the subscription. I have the disks, but it's CS4 and Lightroom 5 for Windows. I finally broke down and did the subscription and trying to sell my older versions. As long as I keep using the subscription, I don't mind paying for it.

Chris M.

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nv.
2853017C-E8AB-4A04-B564-6FC7059D0869.jpeg 2B153783-A776-4633-BF01-4AD02A4011C1.jpeg beach2.jpg

I'm pretty serious about photography, but I'm always learning. I use canon pro body cameras with l series lenses. 16-35, 70-200 and some other specialty lenses. most of the stuff i focus on is landscape and fine art printing. Im very interested in wildlife , also lifestyle photography, I dabble in both. Most the times ill plan my overland trips around photography, that and fly fishing. I actually found out about over landing and overland bound through photography and fishing. I was in the market for a new rig and started searching for a Toyota or some kind of 4x4 that can take me to more remote fishing and photo spots. I always wanted a Tacoma, so I starting researching them. I came across expedition overland and was hooked on building my own tacoma. It has been amazing, the best thing about over landing and building a capable rig is it ties all my hobbies together photography, fishing, camping, not only that but the wonderful group of people thats involved in this.

cheers,
chris

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
Photography comes and goes for me and seems to come as my outdoor activity increases...go figure ;) My gear is pretty old at this point and I'd like a new Nikon camera body but it all works and gets the job done. My current cameras:

Nikon D80 - several filters & remote releases, telescope adapters
Lenses: Sigma 28-70mm; Sigma 70-300mm (the shorter one covers portraits/people and close ups; the longer one for the zooms).
Nikon Coolpix 5400: Old, but awesome landscape shots (for me) and decent macros too 5.8-24mm lens
My only recent additions are the Samsung Note8 phone which takes great photos, and the Sony FDR-AX53 4K video camera. I'm still warming up to this video camera. The old Sony it replaced was a lot more straight forward and had a better zoom but you can't beat the 4K resolution of the new one...incredible!

I have a Flickr account that I haven't added to in a long while. Flickr is a great place to learn about about photography though, beware there is some snobbery to be experienced however.

Chris Owens

Rank II

Advocate II

Vermont
Member #

I shoot with a Nikon D3. It’s old, but it’s indestructible, fast, and reliable. I usually just carry two primes...50 1.4 and a 17 3.5. I used to carry a bunch of big glass and two bodies, but after a trip to China I was tired of carrying all that gear.

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
I started out with a film Nikon FG back in high school while taking photo class. Upgraded to Nikon D50 when my kids were born. Great camera but when I broke a lens I looked for something smaller. Being loyal to Nikon, I bought a V1 mirrorless and a few lenses. Great form factor being so small and takes decent pics. I am purely an amateur but the N1 system required some tweaking to get the best out if it. While IQ was bashed being a 1 inch sensor, it performed quite well and I would give up IQ for portability.

Last year, I broke my 10 to 100mm power zoom and the great 32mm N1 lenses. Since Nikon has discontinued the line, I don't want to spend the money on new lenses. The 18.5mm N1 was on the camera 90% of the time. I now prefer primes.

I have been contemplating 43 cameras but the Fuji X series has really sparked my interest. Good form factor ( not as small as 43s or N1) but definitely smaller than DSLR. Glass is superb based on everything I've read. The APSC sensor has great IQ and many people rave about the Fuji color rendition.

The camera I like the most is the XE3 rangefinder style. The 18-55mm lens is the best 'kit' lens people say and I would pick up a 27mm pancake for my first prime. I find I don't use long telephoto much but now my kids are into sports so might pick one up.

I'm surprised I havent seen any posts about Fuji.