Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else. We will not further define "overlanding".

• HTML tutorial
Status
Not open for further replies.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I'm not sure how if you have a 50k rig you can act like your the same as a 20k or less rig. Same with experience vs none.
We will talk about electric winches and the little guys claim a hi lift is where its at for winching.
If your inexperienced don't argue with someone who has experience that there is one huge problem I see on nearly every single post.

Same thing with posts about lift vs stock or bigger tires vs stock or a/t vs m/t tires. Easy to figure out who really goes off-road and who sticks to highways

Let's say your in the NFL would you feel right playing NFL ball with a junior varsity high-school team?
I think this is exactly the kind if elitist attitude that so many complain about now.
I agree 100%

I get confused, is it douche bag or douchebag?
While I get the sentiment in the responses, there is much validity to what is being said. Going back to the winch discussion, if I ask "do I need a winch?", why would I listen to someone who has never done anything that has needed a winch? Sure, it's just as bad to insist everyone get one but I think the point that was so poorly made is that you don't ask a JV quarterback for a training regimen, you ask the professional. Someone who has never driven more than an AWD CUV isn't likely going to be able to give feedback to someone in a 4x4 truck on if they need a winch because they're going to be avoiding those situations.

Everyone has valid feedback but some feedback is more valid/relevant than others. Again it's all situational that requires context (tying it back into the original intent of this thread) but the people who are best going to be able to answer if something is needed are those who have experience with scenarios where it has been an actual need.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

A while back a guy and his wife camped up the trail from my wife and I. He came in in a fully built new Taco. This thing was really nice, ARB, Warn, really high end stuff to me, nothing was low end. Hell, the sound and lighting system was the best I've ever seen. I drive a 2002 Jeep TJ. It's nice, I love her, and she gets me anywhere I want to go. I'm a Rough Country/Smittybilt/Dick Cepec/Amazon special guy. So Mr. Taco and his wife wander over and we start talking. After a little bit he launches into a speech about how much he loves my Jeep build, he was very kind and very sincere. Obviously, I sincerely returned the favor, this Taco belonged in a magazine, it was beautiful. This went on for a good while, we each gave the tour, and went our separate ways. I think there's a moral to this story.
Right on. By the way, what if I were independently wealthy (I'm not) and wanted to get into this? Theres equipment and theres experience. I can get half of that equation out of the way in a month, fully understanding it will take years to get the other part...should I not buy the best I can to give me the best shot at gaining experience with a minimum of mechanical issues?

Then, as things begin to break down, at least I have amassed some experience to know how to camp as I try to fix something, instead of learning everything all at once with a beater vehicle I cant take anywhere.

I'm not saying everyone has that option. I sure dont. But I dont begrudge the guy who does, as long as he realizes where he is blessed and where he is not, and is willing to hear me when I show him how to change a CV joint or brakes

Reactions: Anak

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

2 cents? That was easily a $1 :grinning:

Best post yet
Thank you for saying so, Grub. I've just finished reading the whole thread and I've seen a number of posts I think are better.

If you think that was worth a dollar and not 2 cents, you should see me getting up to walk to the swear jar at work, while simultaneously pulling a fiver out of my pocket as I go on a tear about some bullshirt at the office

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

While I get the sentiment in the responses, there is much validity to what is being said. Going back to the winch discussion, if I ask "do I need a winch?", why would I listen to someone who has never done anything that has needed a winch? Sure, it's just as bad to insist everyone get one but I think the point that was so poorly made is that you don't ask a JV quarterback for a training regimen, you ask the professional. Someone who has never driven more than an AWD CUV isn't likely going to be able to give feedback to someone in a 4x4 truck on if they need a winch because they're going to be avoiding those situations.

Everyone has valid feedback but some feedback is more valid/relevant than others. Again it's all situational that requires context (tying it back into the original intent of this thread) but the people who are best going to be able to answer if something is needed are those who have experience with scenarios where it has been an actual need.
To your point about quarterbacks...Tom Brady was once second string to Drew Bledsoe, so you can ask a JV for a training regimen, just take it with a grain of salt and juxtapose it against what you are seeing.

If someone asks do they need a winch at x trail, and a person without a winch answers, sometimes I'm ok with that, as long as the winchless dude has a lesser vehicle than mine and made it all the way. Or has a better outfit than mine but failed.

You CAN learn from failure as well as success

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Every new thread that is created drives more traffic. There is a fiscal incentive for more threads and posts, even if they are contextually shallow or are duplicates.

How about we just let people ask their questions and Let Michael and Corrie worry about the logistics of the forum? If you don't want to answer a question, keep scrolling.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
How about we just let people ask their questions and Let Michael and Corrie worry about the logistics of the forum? If you don't want to answer a question, keep scrolling.
This is probably the best answer. Frustrating as it may be, most everyone has to go through the learning curve.

Pick just about any forum with a skill focus and you will find that there is a set of annoying questions that recurr with annoying regularity, virtually always from the newbies. These things must be learned.

It is good to be patient with the newbies because they are the future of the skill set.

If you don't have the patience for them, just scroll on by. No one is forcing anyone to reply to anything. And the newbies won't be offended if you ignore their repetitive questions. They need not even know you saw their questions. Leave it to someone else who has the patience and the desire to teach. The end result will be better for everyone, yourself included.

And I know it is a guy thing to solve problems. That is what we do. But sometimes you just need to let go and let someone else take care of the problem. It is like the guy whose wife gave him grief for always trying to solve her problems, when all she wanted was for him to just listen to her. The next morning when they both went to leave for work she found she had a flat tire. He went over and listened to her, and comforted her, told her it would be okay and then drove to work.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
For the annual sub that's a chunk of change that is if every member is charged or is the fee only for new members?
The Annual Fee was implemented to new members starting in July of 2020. Legacy Members (those that joined before July 1st) only have access to the core components of the app without upgrading to a subscription for the app. This was brought on because the app has some hefty fees associated with it and member growth can’t support it.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The Annual Fee was implemented to new members starting in July of 2020. Legacy Members (those that joined before July 1st) only have access to the core components of the app without upgrading to a subscription for the app. This was brought on because the app has some hefty fees associated with it and member growth can’t support it.
Why don't you just lock this thread up for me @M Rose, nothing beneficial is being accomplished here.

I'll not waste any more of your time.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Why don't you just lock this thread up for me @M Rose, nothing beneficial is being accomplished here.

I'll not waste any more of your time.
I can’t lock the thread, we have only two moderators with that ability. I’ll shoot them a message for you.

Reactions: bgenlvtex
Status
Not open for further replies.