Not your typical Overland Vehicle (pics)

• HTML tutorial

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

@Ian McCarthy Nice to see a new range rover hitting the dirt! Of course people have every right to do whatever they wish with their own property (as long as it doesn't infringe others rights and property) but I always feel a bit sad when a 4x4 is relegated to being just a pavement princess.

Thinking of getting some smaller wheels and bigger tires for that bad boy? How does it manage off road? I've heard some good things about the LR3/4 series land rovers.

Reactions: Ian McCarthy

KRGibbs

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Belmont, CA
Member #

@Ian McCarthy Nice to see a new range rover hitting the dirt! Of course people have every right to do whatever they wish with their own property (as long as it doesn't infringe others rights and property) but I always feel a bit sad when a 4x4 is relegated to being just a pavement princess.

Thinking of getting some smaller wheels and bigger tires for that bad boy? How does it manage off road? I've heard some good things about the LR3/4 series land rovers.
I saw a kitted out G-wagon up at coyote flats this past weekend, great to see one used off road.

Sent from my SM-G965F using OB Talk mobile app

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I saw a kitted out G-wagon up at coyote flats this past weekend, great to see one used off road.

Sent from my SM-G965F using OB Talk mobile app
The Canadian Army uses G Wagons as our GP wheeled vehicle. Oh man how I want one when they eventually start surplussing those. I'll have to stand in a long line I bet lol

Ian McCarthy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Las Vegas
First Name
Ian
Last Name
McCarthy
Member #

Thanks, as far as I’m concerned that’s what they’re built for! It’s a shame to own one and not utilize it’s potential. As far as her off-road prowess, I’ve put on a 2” lift and had to upgrade some bushings but she handles surprisingly well! I’m planning on moving to. 275/65/18 and soon as I wear out the 275/45/20 LTZs I’m running now to get a little more sidewall....

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Unbeatentrack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cumberland, Rhode Island
Member #

@Ian McCarthy - I'm learning to appreciate the L322 platform - here's mine, just got back from 2 week trip to Newfoundland. Have put 275/70/20 mud-terrains on it, and haven't got close to being stuck anywhere (yet - give me time).
The Terrafirma 18" steel wheels do fit the Supercharged discs and calipers (I checked one), but I stuck with the standard 20 wheels to retain on-road stability. Would be nice to have 2 sets in retrospect - the MT's are noisy, but compliment the wind-noise from the roof-rack.

IMG_3292.JPG IMG_3296.JPG DSC_2210 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Ian McCarthy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Las Vegas
First Name
Ian
Last Name
McCarthy
Member #

@Ian McCarthy - I'm learning to appreciate the L322 platform - here's mine, just got back from 2 week trip to Newfoundland. Have put 275/70/20 mud-terrains on it, and haven't got close to being stuck anywhere (yet - give me time).
The Terrafirma 18" steel wheels do fit the Supercharged discs and calipers (I checked one), but I stuck with the standard 20 wheels to retain on-road stability. Would be nice to have 2 sets in retrospect - the MT's are noisy, but compliment the wind-noise from the roof-rack.

View attachment 64876 View attachment 64877 View attachment 64878
Awesome looking rig, I like your style, haha! I'm leaning towards 2 sets (18" & 20") but realistically I'll just get bigger tires for my 20s. Did you have an rubbing issues under articulation or turning with the 275/70/20s? Also, what lift are you running? Johnson Rods? On a side note, I just spoke with Voyager Racks yesterday and they're making rock sliders for L322 now!

Unbeatentrack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cumberland, Rhode Island
Member #

Awesome looking rig, I like your style, haha! I'm leaning towards 2 sets (18" & 20") but realistically I'll just get bigger tires for my 20s. Did you have an rubbing issues under articulation or turning with the 275/70/20s? Also, what lift are you running? Johnson Rods? On a side note, I just spoke with Voyager Racks yesterday and they're making rock sliders for L322 now!
oooh - rock sliders. That's awesome - I'm on the Pro-Speed (UK) waiting list for theirs but they're prioritizing the LR4 products at the moment.

Yes - some rubbing on the right-rear wheel arch liner (where it is raised to clear the gas-tank filler), but easily trimmed back to clear. Although I'm not a fan, I do have wheel-spacers on there because it fixed the front tire clearance issues. The only 'lift' I have is through a Bluetooth diagnostic tool (which I can throw into the cubby-box). You can calibrate the corner heights and effectively trick the car into raising the height at 'standard' setting, and still have additional lift when required. Benefit being you can reset it when back on daily driver mode (I don't want to have a permanently lifted truck)

Reactions: Ian McCarthy

Ian McCarthy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Las Vegas
First Name
Ian
Last Name
McCarthy
Member #

oooh - rock sliders. That's awesome - I'm on the Pro-Speed (UK) waiting list for theirs but they're prioritizing the LR4 products at the moment.

Yes - some rubbing on the right-rear wheel arch liner (where it is raised to clear the gas-tank filler), but easily trimmed back to clear. Although I'm not a fan, I do have wheel-spacers on there because it fixed the front tire clearance issues. The only 'lift' I have is through a Bluetooth diagnostic tool (which I can throw into the cubby-box). You can calibrate the corner heights and effectively trick the car into raising the height at 'standard' setting, and still have additional lift when required. Benefit being you can reset it when back on daily driver mode (I don't want to have a permanently lifted truck)
I'm running the Johnson Rods now and like them I guess. I wouldn't mind having it a bit higher ;) How much total lift do you have it set at for driving around town? Why don't you like the wheel spacers, is it just because don't like the idea of spacers or did they effect anything negatively? They're on my short term list just for the stance alone. If you set your's to normal height I assume you wouldn't be able to drive with the 275/70s right?
I was originally looking into the ProSpeed ones too only because they were the only ones but the Voyager ones look better and hug the body more. They're roughly the same price. ($1,099 USD) Besides, I'm running a Voyager Rack and they compliment each other well. Now I just need to find someone that makes a decent front winch bumper!

Unbeatentrack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cumberland, Rhode Island
Member #

I'm running the Johnson Rods now and like them I guess. I wouldn't mind having it a bit higher ;) How much total lift do you have it set at for driving around town? Why don't you like the wheel spacers, is it just because don't like the idea of spacers or did they effect anything negatively? They're on my short term list just for the stance alone. If you set your's to normal height I assume you wouldn't be able to drive with the 275/70s right?
I was originally looking into the ProSpeed ones too only because they were the only ones but the Voyager ones look better and hug the body more. They're roughly the same price. ($1,099 USD) Besides, I'm running a Voyager Rack and they compliment each other well. Now I just need to find someone that makes a decent front winch bumper!
I'm not a fan of wheel spacers because of the additional stress on the wheel bearings - but as a Rover guy, I know everything (and I mean everything) will need to get serviced/replaced at some point so it's just timing.

I run a constant 25mm/1" lift at the moment, which means road-holding is still good, and the wheel-spacers probably help the cornering, but all the rubbing issues are sorted. Even at original 'standard' height, rubbing was only on full-lock. Johnson Rods are well regarded I believe, and are also relatively easy to swap out if you want to revert to standard.

Will be very interested in the sliders, just saw they're not showing on the Voyager website yet. There is a winch-tray available (at huge cost) but it might not fit my Supercharged because of an extra front oil/transmission cooler. I'd love to get a winch on there (that's why I've got Maxtrax on there for the Newfoundland trip) but it might not be easy.

Jason Baker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln Park, Michigan
Member #

Here is my "Not so Typical" Rig. Mine is the 2011 Silverado. A lot of people don't like the full size trucks for overlanding. And let's be honest, new Chevy's aren't exactly sought out for four wheeling either because of that small front IFS. What is even more different is it's a short box, standard cab. But, with any rig, it has it's advantages. The 4Runner is mine too. What can I say about that? It's the "Basic white girl of Overlanding".
40158213_10211930922420832_871621260050694144_o.jpg

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Here is my "Not so Typical" Rig. Mine is the 2011 Silverado. A lot of people don't like the full size trucks for overlanding. And let's be honest, new Chevy's aren't exactly sought out for four wheeling either because of that small front IFS. What is even more different is it's a short box, standard cab. But, with any rig, it has it's advantages. The 4Runner is mine too. What can I say about that? It's the "Basic white girl of Overlanding".
View attachment 66575
I’m currently considering another Overlanding rig. A full size rig has some advantages, that can’t be ignored. As I research Chevy: I have heard some negative feedback, mostly as you called out, about the small front IFS. I think this would solve much of the issues, and would allow for front lockers.

https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemblies/prorock-ifs-and-irs-axles/prorock-xd60-gm-ifs.html

What has been your experience with you Silverado vs the 4Runner?

Traveler I

Nor Cal
View attachment 66575
I own a 2017 Silverado that I want to use for overlanding.

Trying to decide if I want to add a truck cab or add a truck bed rack and tent.

Jason Baker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln Park, Michigan
Member #

I own a 2017 Silverado that I want to use for overlanding.

Trying to decide if I want to add a truck cab or add a truck bed rack and tent.
I went the truck cap route. I know there are some amazing rooftop tents out there, and I plan on putting on on my 4Runner, but a truck cap is a true 4 season living space. Only thing is it gets cramped getting in. Once I get to sleep though, I am super cozy.